Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 7:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
5852 posts
839 upvotes
Saw a strange looking vehicle today at Derry and Mississauga road, it was white and good looking. First time seeing it out on the road, couldn't get over how cavernous the rear looks.

I really want to test drive one
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8276 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:34 am
Saw a strange looking vehicle today at Derry and Mississauga road, it was white and good looking. First time seeing it out on the road, couldn't get over how cavernous the rear looks.

I really want to test drive one
I saw a dark grey one in MIssissauga as well, I took a photo! I'll post after I hide his plate.

Also, saw another grey one at the Lakeshore, boardwalk parking lot this Saturday. So cool!

Those handles immediately make them stand out.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1452 posts
263 upvotes
Mississauga
number8888 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 9:40 pm
OKay perhaps you mean this one: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/findus/loca ... percharger

Also, the last leg of the trip is 80 miles. A full charger gives you 310 miles. That's plenty of charge for whatever you need to do inside, unless all you are doing is just driving around the park all day. BTW the Tesla would't be producing any pollution while you are it.
yes, there are chargers available at the west entrance. but the park is huge, hayden/lamar valley are the prime wild life spotting spots. it's about 3 hr drive from the west entrance to the lamar valley. you can't go once and expect to see lots of animals since wildlifes are so unpredictable. we drove backward and forward through the valley all day long. the last thing you want is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4998 posts
1602 upvotes
Kingston, ON
aximrocks wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 1:54 pm
yes, there are chargers available at the west entrance. but the park is huge, hayden/lamar valley are the prime wild life spotting spots. it's about 3 hr drive from the west entrance to the lamar valley. you can't go once and expect to see lots of animals since wildlifes are so unpredictable. we drove backward and forward through the valley all day long. the last thing you want is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery!
Unless you've got a Prius or a trunk full of jerry cans though, most gas vehicles have the same range as a Tesla in that situation, which is the relevant point.

There's plenty of places a Tesla still can't go (you can't make it to St. John's or Whitehorse yet... or even between ON & AB without leaving the country) without stretching your Yellowstone example that's actually doable.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1452 posts
263 upvotes
Mississauga
Mike15 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:33 pm
Unless you've got a Prius or a trunk full of jerry cans though, most gas vehicles have the same range as a Tesla in that situation, which is the relevant point.

There's plenty of places a Tesla still can't go (you can't make it to St. John's or Whitehorse yet... or even between ON & AB without leaving the country) without stretching your Yellowstone example that's actually doable.
there are a few gas stations inside the park though.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1365 posts
300 upvotes
GTA
Mike15 wrote:

Remember all you need is holes. takes a while but you can charge via standard outlet. Electricity is virtually everywhere gasoline is not. but it takes time. It just how you want to allocate your time. I'm savings hours a year not buying gas waiting at the pump, but I'll spend some of it when I do road trips waiting on a charge (that's not a scheduled meal break)
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7366 posts
3825 upvotes
Markham
You guys do know the cost associated with repairing Teslas right? Also you know that Teslas is consistently rated one of the worst 3 automakers in frequency of repairs.

Not saying I am not a big Tesla fan, I am... but you guys should know that there litereally only 3 repair centers in all of GTA and two of them are in Mississauga/Oakville. No one else can repair these cars, or even service them.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8276 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 3:06 pm
You guys do know the cost associated with repairing Teslas right? Also you know that Teslas is consistently rated one of the worst 3 automakers in frequency of repairs.

Not saying I am not a big Tesla fan, I am... but you guys should know that there litereally only 3 repair centers in all of GTA and two of them are in Mississauga/Oakville. No one else can repair these cars, or even service them.
That's a big consideration, it's like once you decide, it's all in. If one day Tesla stops, like competition and law makers are just killing Tesla (which they have been trying to every day and chance they get), all Tesla owners are SOL.

Also out of warranty fixes are crazy expensive, many YouTube videos have already shown.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4998 posts
1602 upvotes
Kingston, ON
aximrocks wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:37 pm
there are a few gas stations inside the park though.
Do you have to hand-pump them or do they run on electricity? Winking Face

Actually, looks like there's RV sites around there too. 220v plugs?

Dug up a thread of Tesla owner Yellowstone experiences:
TaoJones | June 28, 2016
Was there a couple of weeks ago. That SC is brilliantly located. From West Yellowstone, I must have driven 500 miles through the park every which way over a few days. Do allow time to drive the north and south loops both clockwise and counterclockwise respectively, and if possible at dawn as well as later in the day. Maybe 120-130 miles per loop including if you stay just outside of town.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/y ... ional-park
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5816 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
aximrocks wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 1:54 pm
Actually look this up because I got curious.

Hayden valley is 41 miles from West Yellowstone.
Lamar valley is 72 miles from there.

Don't forget there's a SC at Jackson which is 126 miles away in the south, and there's a SC planned for Cody which is 133 miles away in the east.

The Model 3 has a range of 310 miles. It's plenty to go around the park. Of course you can always come up with some convoluted scenario just to say it can't, but that's a far cry from saying that it's not doable.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5816 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Mike15 wrote:

Well to put it simply there are no SC's along the trans-canada highway between Sudbury and Calgary, and none beyond Quebec province on the east. At least they are planned according to Tesla.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2362 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
Really? I thought it's low maintenance because there are less moving parts.
Anikiri wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 3:06 pm

Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2362 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
Went to the Tesla service station, should have done that long before I confirm the Model 3 order, and I'm getting a bit confuse with the charging of the Tesla.

Apparently, I can upgrade one of outlets to a 240 volt stove adapter. The charge time would be about 2 hours less than the supercharger.

100 amp panel, charger takes up to 36 amp, does that mean I can only have one Tesla? Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1452 posts
263 upvotes
Mississauga
number8888 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 4:00 pm
Actually look this up because I got curious.

Hayden valley is 41 miles from West Yellowstone.
Lamar valley is 72 miles from there.

Don't forget there's a SC at Jackson which is 126 miles away in the south, and there's a SC planned for Cody which is 133 miles away in the east.

The Model 3 has a range of 310 miles. It's plenty to go around the park. Of course you can always come up with some convoluted scenario just to say it can't, but that's a far cry from saying that it's not doable.
we spent many days driving around hayden and lamar valley. there is a gas station at canyon junction 8 miles from hayden, 32 miles from lamar, spent the nights in cooke city that is only 18 miles from lamar.

Model 3 is not practical because there is no SC in cooke city, you need to spend the night in west yellowsone. it is too far to drive from there to the lamar valley for dawn, which is when you need to be there to stand the best chance of viewing the wildlife.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9309 posts
2947 upvotes
Calgary
aximrocks wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:22 pm
we spent many days driving around hayden and lamar valley. there is a gas station at canyon junction 8 miles from hayden, 32 miles from lamar, spent the nights in cooke city that is only 18 miles from lamar.

Model 3 is not practical because there is no SC in cooke city, you need to spend the night in west yellowsone. it is too far to drive from there to the lamar valley for dawn, which is when you need to be there to stand the best chance of viewing the wildlife.
There are so many campground in the Yellowstne NP with NEMA 14-50 chargers & 30amp services, along with the SC in West Yellowstone. There is practically no way to run out of juice in LR Model 3 unless being stupid.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)