Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 7:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7366 posts
3825 upvotes
Markham
dec12 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:04 pm
Really? I thought it's low maintenance because there are less moving parts.
It’s true there’s less maintenance but whatever there is, you still gotta do it at Tesla. And less maintenance doesn’t mean a car that doesn’t need repair. Tesla’s are one of the worst in frequency of repair. This is actually normal for new automakers, they just haven’t ironed out all the trade secrets.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44886 posts
11560 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:33 pm
It’s true there’s less maintenance but whatever there is, you still gotta do it at Tesla. And less maintenance doesn’t mean a car that doesn’t need repair. Tesla’s are one of the worst in frequency of repair. This is actually normal for new automakers, they just haven’t ironed out all the trade secrets.
Tesla is the brother of Brad -- Manny Pitt. :)

One of the top reasons we have not converted a M3 reservation to a purchase.

I want to save money ( on a BEV) not eclipse my gasoline and engine maintenance outlays with Tesla repairs post warranty.

I am quite surprised Tesla hasn't adopted the printer business strategy of selling printers cheap and making money back on supplies and repairs. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1616 posts
218 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:33 pm
Plus, less moving engine parts...personally, I've never had cars with engine problems (other than spark plugs & coils). However, there are common parts that will die at likely the same rate as average (other than the brake "pads"), such as CV Axles, gearbox/differentials, rotors, tie rods, ball joints, control arms, water pump, A/C compressor...you know, the parts that pretty much break first, long before actual engine problems.

And if you have to buy those parts only from Tesla, and you have to bring it to a Tesla authorized repair facility...then that could be as expensive as any regular car. Only thing that wouldn't need repair would be for the lack of exhaust systems...catalytic converter, O2 sensors, etc, which tend to be expensive to replace anywhere.

Will Tesla let people buy parts and work on their own cars (after warranty expires)?
Jul 7, 2017
562 posts
180 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 6:18 pm
Will Tesla let people buy parts and work on their own cars (after warranty expires)?
What proportion of a Tesla - barring batteries - is actually made by Tesla? I imagine suppliers may be free to sell aftermarket parts under their own name?

Intriguing question. The more worrying issue is the manufacturer's obligation to make/keep parts available after the warranty runs out (apparently, the answer is .... none).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Jul 7, 2017
562 posts
180 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Not sure what mix Tesla's manufacturing vs admin staff is but headcount is to be reduced by 9% all on the admin (or rather, non-manufacturing) side of things. Guess the need to reduce negative cash flow is getting urgent. Who knows where the axe will fall on non-manufacturing. Sales, marketing, R&D/Design, CS, finance & accounting.....
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Apr 4, 2017
575 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
My current car broke down (accident) and my Tesla won't be ready until late 2018.

Just great.

Can Tesla do something to see if they can get me earlier date? Currently using rental car at the moment.

Looking for model 3 worth bigger battery.

Anyone willing to transfer the ownership over?
Feb 1, 2011
22 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
ysl5710 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:09 pm
My current car broke down (accident) and my Tesla won't be ready until late 2018.

Just great.

Can Tesla do something to see if they can get me earlier date? Currently using rental car at the moment.

Looking for model 3 worth bigger battery.

Anyone willing to transfer the ownership over?
Kinda in the same boat. Actually considering paying someone to buy there early reservation. First heard it’s not possible but have heard from some colleagues that they were successful going this route. Still on the fence but need to make a decision fast!
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
31628 posts
8038 upvotes
GTHA
ysl5710 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:09 pm
What happened to your Chevrolet Volt? How did the accident happen?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5816 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
aximrocks wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:22 pm
we spent many days driving around hayden and lamar valley. there is a gas station at canyon junction 8 miles from hayden, 32 miles from lamar, spent the nights in cooke city that is only 18 miles from lamar.

Model 3 is not practical because there is no SC in cooke city, you need to spend the night in west yellowsone. it is too far to drive from there to the lamar valley for dawn, which is when you need to be there to stand the best chance of viewing the wildlife.
I knew that this would have been your response.

Exactly what I've said, of course you can always come up with some convoluted scenario where the Model 3 won't work.

And if this one single instance of a trip where you can't be more flexible or willing to work out a solution, while ignoring the benefits for the rest of the year, then so be it. Enjoy the environment while killing it with your gas guzzler.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5816 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
dec12 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:10 pm
Went to the Tesla service station, should have done that long before I confirm the Model 3 order, and I'm getting a bit confuse with the charging of the Tesla.

Apparently, I can upgrade one of outlets to a 240 volt stove adapter. The charge time would be about 2 hours less than the supercharger.

100 amp panel, charger takes up to 36 amp, does that mean I can only have one Tesla? Disappointed But Relieved Face
Well you can always use the 120v outlet.

If you installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet, then you can charge using mobile charger up to 32 amps. But you can set it lower inside the car (to 16A maybe even lower).

Are you willing to get the home charger? That way you can be flexible on how many amps to put through. If you get two home chargers and connect them they can balance the load automatically.

Also not sure where you get 36 amps from. You should either get 40A charging (with 50A breaker) or 32A (from 40A breaker).
There's a sucker born every minute.
Apr 4, 2017
575 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I have another ICE car. Someone tboned me and write off. Insurance is willing to give me a cheque.

I need secondary car. - volt is working properly, but significant other is driving 80% of the time.
tk1000 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:20 pm
What happened to your Chevrolet Volt? How did the accident happen?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2362 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
number8888 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:43 pm
Well you can always use the 120v outlet.

If you installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet, then you can charge using mobile charger up to 32 amps. But you can set it lower inside the car (to 16A maybe even lower).

Are you willing to get the home charger? That way you can be flexible on how many amps to put through. If you get two home chargers and connect them they can balance the load automatically.

Also not sure where you get 36 amps from. You should either get 40A charging (with 50A breaker) or 32A (from 40A breaker).
I was about to pick up the charger, $750, and another advisor told me about the 32-36 amps and an extra panel.

We might have to use the ordinary outlet for now and charge it at the mall's surpercharge station until we find time and electrician to install.
Dec 2, 2006
232 posts
70 upvotes
Ottawa
ysl5710 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:43 am
I have another ICE car. Someone tboned me and write off. Insurance is willing to give me a cheque.

I need secondary car. - volt is working properly, but significant other is driving 80% of the time.
What about a short term lease from someone looking to get out of their lease early? Maybe check Lease Busters or one of the other sites?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8276 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
In the back of my mind, along with a lot of people hesitating on getting the Model 3, is what if Tesla stops operations in the future, like 10-20yrs? Then who's going to repair and service our Tesla cars?

After 20 yrs, I really don't care, personally, I've never kept a car over 11 yrs, so 20 is mightly long. I'd be buying another new car in 10 yrs or less.

The only guess I can make is, there are soooo many Teslas out there now, Model S, X, that it would be extremely unlikely and horrible for Tesla to decide to shut their doors. With the vision that Elon has and has proven, he would die before he lets the owners down. I guess if Tesla runs out of $$$$, he would have no choice.

Its strange though, I have friends with Model S and X and they never had this fear of "hmm, maybe I shouldn't buy this S / X, Tesla may not survive".

Maybe its because the S and X costs a lot, so those people who buy them (my friends) have money to "waste". So if suddenly they can't service their cars anymore, they ust go buy another car.

But now that its Model 3, at a lower price point, its market is now in my level, mid to mid-high income earners. Who don't have that much "extra" $$$ to waste and throw around.

So, maybe we need to think like those others that have been enjoying their Model S and X for 3-4 yrs now. have some faith and just do it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44886 posts
11560 upvotes
The M3 is a double-edged sword. Ever increasing sales figures is positive for top line growth but repair cost is a negative. As more M3 come out the assembly line with issues, Tesla will have to spend more to fix/remediate issues. Good thing right off the bat, Tesla only provides a four-year warranty. If Tesla is smart, it will write up the M3 ESA to be a lot more inferior than the ESA for the S and X, which I heard/read is quite comprehensive. The good thing going with the ESA is Tesla does try to make the wrongs right but it's going to be a lot more expensive to do that with a more mass-produced vehicle.

My issues similar to yours:

• Will the car operations keep going if that segment is bought out/carved out?
  • ESA wording for the M3 probably hasn't come out yet.
  • Right to Repair, though brought up early last year, has had no real progress so post-warranty or ESA, repairs or servicing of these vehicles can be quite expensive.

I can live with the iPad Pro and good thing I'm waiting for AWD anyway but until issues two and three have been taken care of, it's hard for me to spend $60-70k over a vehicle that may not have a reasonable TCO. If the costs to maintain the M3 is reasonable, similar to the cost of maintaining a German car at a reputable indie shop post-warranty, I really wouldn't hesitate but I need more data points to build that conviction. :)

My advice, get the ESA right before the prerogative expires.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jun 13th, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)