Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 7:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5000 posts
1603 upvotes
Kingston, ON
valve wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 8:31 am
What about a short term lease from someone looking to get out of their lease early? Maybe check Lease Busters or one of the other sites?
Even a cheap used car that you can sell in a few months for about what you paid for it? Like a $2,000 Civic.
Oct 25, 2010
63 posts
6 upvotes
Anyone that has a M3 with Midnight Silver get chrome delete done on it? Getting mine on Saturday and just wondering what the going rate is and how it looks with that colour. Thanks ☺️
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 3:06 pm
You guys do know the cost associated with repairing Teslas right? Also you know that Teslas is consistently rated one of the worst 3 automakers in frequency of repairs.

Not saying I am not a big Tesla fan, I am... but you guys should know that there litereally only 3 repair centers in all of GTA and two of them are in Mississauga/Oakville. No one else can repair these cars, or even service them.
Partly correct, partly wrong...

One of the most frequent in repairs needed - Yes (I'll post a list in a post below)

Cost associated with repairing a Tesla - Post Warranty - I have no clue, but more likely pretty high. In terms of accident repair - It's surprisingly cheap. I've been involved in 2 accidents (very minor) on 2 separate teslas...one was rear ender, one was a side hit to a front bumper [Both not at fault a result of people either on their cell phones or not checking their blind spots]

Rear end was a $500 repair (I posted about it back in early 2017 when it happened). Similar repair on other cars would've been $2000+ per the bodyshop who fixed it

Front was about $800 with the bumper fully repainted.

Cost of the rental in both cases was close to $5k for the 2 week repair each time (Rental from Enterprise Exotics covered as "equivalent car"). No Rental limit due to not at fault.

What are the repair centres that can fix this? I thought it was only Excellence, unless you're talking about the Tesla Service centres...
dec12 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:04 pm
Really? I thought it's low maintenance because there are less moving parts.
There is NO maintenance, and no need to spend on anything other than "Tire Changes", unless you voluntarily want the service packages, which for the most part are just inspections that are normally covered under warranty.

There are a few things on the 2 year list and 4 year list that I will get them to do on mine individually but its more precautionary and still not required.
dec12 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:10 pm
Went to the Tesla service station, should have done that long before I confirm the Model 3 order, and I'm getting a bit confuse with the charging of the Tesla.

Apparently, I can upgrade one of outlets to a 240 volt stove adapter. The charge time would be about 2 hours less than the supercharger.

100 amp panel, charger takes up to 36 amp, does that mean I can only have one Tesla? Disappointed But Relieved Face
You're confusing High Powered Wall Charger with Supercharger --> Not the same.

I recommend the charger, it'll cost you $300 or so more after government rebates, but will last longer (won't need constant unplugging/re-wrapping to put in the car once done and back , etc.

The NEMA is basically a dryer plug that will charge your car at a 30amp rate (i think they're "up to 40"). You can have 2 chargers on a 100amp, just make sure you're not running your AC at the same time, and you're able to limit the charge speed of each. I'd just stick to one and alternate.
Aug 7, 2017
118 posts
85 upvotes
dec12 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:10 pm
Went to the Tesla service station, should have done that long before I confirm the Model 3 order, and I'm getting a bit confuse with the charging of the Tesla.

Apparently, I can upgrade one of outlets to a 240 volt stove adapter. The charge time would be about 2 hours less than the supercharger.

100 amp panel, charger takes up to 36 amp, does that mean I can only have one Tesla? Disappointed But Relieved Face
Call one of the guys listed here - https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/find-electrician - they'll tell you your actual options. Totally depends on your current setup, loads in your house, budget etc.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
List of things that my Model X has been to the service centre for:

[The following were done over 16 separate trips to the service centre in a 12 month period]

1) Center Console Trim Scratched at Delivery
2) Front Brake Rotors Squeal - Replaced
3) Battery Shield Replaced
4) Adjustment of FL Bright work (Window concern) - Not sure exactly what this one is
5) AC O-Ring - Rear Evaporator Leaking - Replaced O-Ring, Recharged AC Fluid
6) Vehicle Vibration at high speed - Replaced 2 front tires
7) Vibration Concern - Replaced RH Front Half Shaft
8) Vibration concern - Replace LH Front Half Shaft
9) Vehicle pulling to the left - Alignment performed
10) AC Issue - Front and Rear Seals Leaking - Replaced both O-Rings
11) Dented Autopilot Side Camera Enclosures (from Delivery) - Replaced
12) Front Passenger door vibrates when closing - Trim Adjusted
13) Falcon Wing Doors Making Noises - Lubricated Doors
14) Falcon Wing doors leaking water - Seals Replaced
15) Steering Wheel Vibration Returns - Replace 2 Front Tires
16) Driver Side Window Doesn't Roll up fully when closing door - Recalibrate Windows
17) Performance Update Performed for Increased Vehicle Acceleration - FREE UPGRADE
18) Falcon Wing Door Noise Returns - Re-adjust Falcon Wing Door Seals + Lubricate
19) Wiper Blades Streaking - Replace Blade
20) Door Icebreaker jammed - Realigned Door "Striker"
21) Front Seat one side is hard and uncomfortable - Seat Replaced
22) Water Leaking in from Falcon Wing Doors - Seals Replaced
23) Crack Noted on Falcon Wing Door Roof Glass - Replaced
24) Autopilot system went crazy and started driving diagonally on roads/not following lines - Recalibrated Autopilot Cameras
25) Driver side wiper not spraying washer fluid - Fluid Pipe Pinched - Replaced
26) Yellow Ring Around Touch Screen - Screen Replaced
27) Draft from Falcon Wing Doors - Seals Adjusted
28) Rattling from Falcon Wing Door - Adjusted Trim + Insulated door
29) Windshield Fluid still not spraying right - Replaced both wiper blades
30) Nail in Winter Tire - $360 Tire + $55 Labour = $415 + Tax Tire Replacement - BILLED (+tax)
31) Chargeport pins "Compromised" - Replaced ChargePort
32) Sideview mirror freezing part way when closing - Replace Sideview mirror
33) Falcon Wing Door Noise Returns - Apply Lubricant and "tape" to upper trim (not sure what tape must be something hidden)
34) Passenger Door loud wind noises - Adjust Passengerside Quarter Panel
35) Windshield Fluid Still not spraying correctly - Replace "Cowl" and "Hose Straight Connector"
36) Door and Fender Alignment gap - Adjusted Panels
37) Front Bumper Loafers not aligned (Pieces for the front vents to cool battery I assume) - Front Loafers Replaced
38) Front Grill Mesh and Skid Plates Replaced - Result of above issue
39) Loose Pin from issue 31 compromised mobile charger - Mobile charger replaced
40) Loose pin from issue 31 compromised home wall charger - Home wall charger replaced (electrician sent out to home)
41) Vehicle Vibration Returns - Road Force Balanced All Tires
42) Wiper Blades once again streaking - Wiper Blades changed
43) Driver Side door wind noises appear - Adjust Driver Side Quarter Panel glass
44) Rim damaged by Tesla - Rim Replaced
45) Buzzing Noise from Front of vehicle - Ferrite Chokes Installed
46) Water leaking from Frunk - Adjusted seals
47) Nail appears in All Season Tires (only 1 month after winter tire replaced) - Chargeable at $489.25 + $55 Labour = $544.25 - BILLED (+tax)
48) Buzzing Noise From Dashboard - Battery Coolant Pump Replaced
49) Steering Wheel Makes noise when retracting - treated leather material + lubricated
50) Vibration in Vehicle returns - All 4 Tires Replaced

So exactly 50 repairs done to the car in exactly 1 year of ownership. I haven't included things where I took it in and they couldn't find the issue that first time...some of these issues mentioned above I had to bring it in 2-3 times before they found the issue.

2 Chargeable repairs - Winter Tire and All Season tire, both just 1 month apart!
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1301 posts
383 upvotes
TBD
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:18 pm
List of things that my Model X has been to the service centre for:

[The following were done over 16 separate trips to the service centre in a 12 month period]

1) Center Console Trim Scratched at Delivery
2) Front Brake Rotors Squeal - Replaced
3) Battery Shield Replaced
4) Adjustment of FL Bright work (Window concern) - Not sure exactly what this one is
5) AC O-Ring - Rear Evaporator Leaking - Replaced O-Ring, Recharged AC Fluid
6) Vehicle Vibration at high speed - Replaced 2 front tires
7) Vibration Concern - Replaced RH Front Half Shaft
8) Vibration concern - Replace LH Front Half Shaft
9) Vehicle pulling to the left - Alignment performed
10) AC Issue - Front and Rear Seals Leaking - Replaced both O-Rings
11) Dented Autopilot Side Camera Enclosures (from Delivery) - Replaced
12) Front Passenger door vibrates when closing - Trim Adjusted
13) Falcon Wing Doors Making Noises - Lubricated Doors
14) Falcon Wing doors leaking water - Seals Replaced
15) Steering Wheel Vibration Returns - Replace 2 Front Tires
16) Driver Side Window Doesn't Roll up fully when closing door - Recalibrate Windows
17) Performance Update Performed for Increased Vehicle Acceleration - FREE UPGRADE
18) Falcon Wing Door Noise Returns - Re-adjust Falcon Wing Door Seals + Lubricate
19) Wiper Blades Streaking - Replace Blade
20) Door Icebreaker jammed - Realigned Door "Striker"
21) Front Seat one side is hard and uncomfortable - Seat Replaced
22) Water Leaking in from Falcon Wing Doors - Seals Replaced
23) Crack Noted on Falcon Wing Door Roof Glass - Replaced
24) Autopilot system went crazy and started driving diagonally on roads/not following lines - Recalibrated Autopilot Cameras
25) Driver side wiper not spraying washer fluid - Fluid Pipe Pinched - Replaced
26) Yellow Ring Around Touch Screen - Screen Replaced
27) Draft from Falcon Wing Doors - Seals Adjusted
28) Rattling from Falcon Wing Door - Adjusted Trim + Insulated door
29) Windshield Fluid still not spraying right - Replaced both wiper blades
30) Nail in Winter Tire - $360 Tire + $55 Labour = $415 + Tax Tire Replacement - BILLED (+tax)
31) Chargeport pins "Compromised" - Replaced ChargePort
32) Sideview mirror freezing part way when closing - Replace Sideview mirror
33) Falcon Wing Door Noise Returns - Apply Lubricant and "tape" to upper trim (not sure what tape must be something hidden)
34) Passenger Door loud wind noises - Adjust Passengerside Quarter Panel
35) Windshield Fluid Still not spraying correctly - Replace "Cowl" and "Hose Straight Connector"
36) Door and Fender Alignment gap - Adjusted Panels
37) Front Bumper Loafers not aligned (Pieces for the front vents to cool battery I assume) - Front Loafers Replaced
38) Front Grill Mesh and Skid Plates Replaced - Result of above issue
39) Loose Pin from issue 31 compromised mobile charger - Mobile charger replaced
40) Loose pin from issue 31 compromised home wall charger - Home wall charger replaced (electrician sent out to home)
41) Vehicle Vibration Returns - Road Force Balanced All Tires
42) Wiper Blades once again streaking - Wiper Blades changed
43) Driver Side door wind noises appear - Adjust Driver Side Quarter Panel glass
44) Rim damaged by Tesla - Rim Replaced
45) Buzzing Noise from Front of vehicle - Ferrite Chokes Installed
46) Water leaking from Frunk - Adjusted seals
47) Nail appears in All Season Tires (only 1 month after winter tire replaced) - Chargeable at $489.25 + $55 Labour = $544.25 - BILLED (+tax)
48) Buzzing Noise From Dashboard - Battery Coolant Pump Replaced
49) Steering Wheel Makes noise when retracting - treated leather material + lubricated
50) Vibration in Vehicle returns - All 4 Tires Replaced

So exactly 50 repairs done to the car in exactly 1 year of ownership. I haven't included things where I took it in and they couldn't find the issue that first time...some of these issues mentioned above I had to bring it in 2-3 times before they found the issue.

2 Chargeable repairs - Winter Tire and All Season tire, both just 1 month apart!
Wow that's a lot of visits.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9669 posts
4054 upvotes
Richmond Hill
kevdanga wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:13 am
In ONE YEAR!!!

What a great car. To most that would be considered a lemon, but for a Tesla it's acceptable.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2608 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
I give Tesla credit for getting all the other manufacturers to join the EV movement, but the problem is TESLA is bad at making cars.

The competition for EV is heating up and the 2019 models coming out are far superior in design , interior and exterior wise.

Jag i Pace looks amazing.. the MB Concept EQ, the Audi sportback and Quattro EVs all look steller.
Realtor - Platinum award winner.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2362 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
oasis100 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:33 am
I give Tesla credit for getting all the other manufacturers to join the EV movement, but the problem is TESLA is bad at making cars.

The competition for EV is heating up and the 2019 models coming out are far superior in design , interior and exterior wise.

Jag i Pace looks amazing.. the MB Concept EQ, the Audi sportback and Quattro EVs all look steller.
Yup. It was waiting for another car manufacturer with improved battery or battery manufacturer with an improved car. Ford winning the election rushed that decision. Anyway, we can always sell the car back if we don't like it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16197 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
kevdanga wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:13 am

EP32k2 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:37 am

In ONE YEAR!!!

What a great car. To most that would be considered a lemon, but for a Tesla it's acceptable.
This is actually my second X, I’ve already been through the “lemon buy back” process on my first one which had even more problems in the first 6 months.

I owned that one for 180 days, out of which Tesla had it for 100 days. List of repairs on that one are even longer lol

I should also add that it typically seems to be the Model X that has reliability issues but Model S has been more refined
Last edited by deal_with_singh on Jun 14th, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 2, 2006
233 posts
70 upvotes
Ottawa
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 7:40 am
This is actually my second X, I’ve already been through the “lemon buy back” process on my first one which had even more problems in the first 6 months.

I owned that one for 180 days, out of which Tesla had it for 100 days. List of repairs on that one are even longer lol
WOW! Glad I bought one of those so called "crappy Fords". Three and half years and been back to the dealer once for a recall (PCM update).
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1713 posts
650 upvotes
Ontario
EP32k2 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:37 am
In ONE YEAR!!!

I think the problem with Tesla vehicles, and particularly the X, is that for a fledgling manufacturer they have been way too ambitious - pushing the boundaries of design/tech which experience tells other manufacturers will be too problematic/expensive. Falcon doors, "Autopilot" etc. On top of that they have a new business model without local dealerships to pick up the pieces. For a car the price of an X owners understandably expect perfection.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2778 posts
513 upvotes
GTA
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 7:40 am
I should also add that it typically seems to be the Model X that has reliability issues but Model S has been more refined
Holy hell. How do you still have love for Tesla after that experience? (If you still do)
That is absolutely trash for a car that is 100k.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1301 posts
383 upvotes
TBD
My assumption would be that the Model 3 is built using a lot more automation and won't have nearly the same volume of issues. That's still a crazy number of issues @deal_with_singh

What MY is your X?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9309 posts
2947 upvotes
Calgary
ADRiiAN` wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 8:37 am
Holy hell. How do you still have love for Tesla after that experience? (If you still do)
That is absolutely trash for a car that is 100k.
Model X does have some QC problems. That being said, Tesla has higher brand loyalty and customer satisfaction, higher than that of Porsche. People know and expect small problems of Tesla vehicles, but the underlying technology and promise is not available anywhere else.

Yes some of the upcoming EV looks nice. But good luck taking road trip with those.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)