Automotive

Tesla Ownership Experience (Car Talk ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:41 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote: That would be a smart way to get around it. Only problem is good luck with explaining that to the general public. Seriously most out there lack logic or common sense and most live by monthly payments and they will just look at this as an extra $200 and too expensive.
Actually it would be right up their alley. I've seen people simply scoff at their $200 a month expenditures.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
anotherbargainhunter wrote: Since many of us don’t drive as much as before, and I just drive once or twice a week less than 10km of so, at what battery level we should charge the battery at to keep the battery health. Do I set it at 80% and leave it plug in everyday?
I reduced charge to 50% and plugged in all the time. Li-ions don't like to sit at high SOC and since you're diving so little why bother at 80%
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
Has anyone noticed any issues with their wifi connectivity after upgrading to 2020.12.5? My car used to always connect to our wifi in the garage with no problem. Now when I get into the vehicle I notice that it refuses to connect to it unless I do a soft reboot of the computer. After it comes back online it connects instantly.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lobo wrote: Has anyone noticed any issues with their wifi connectivity after upgrading to 2020.12.5? My car used to always connect to our wifi in the garage with no problem. Now when I get into the vehicle I notice that it refuses to connect to it unless I do a soft reboot of the computer. After it comes back online it connects instantly.
Mines been fine. Reported range is still shit though.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
4237 posts
1821 upvotes
, ON
EP32k2 wrote: I reduced charge to 50% and plugged in all the time. Li-ions don't like to sit at high SOC and since you're diving so little why bother at 80%
Ok. I left it at 60% but you are right I think 50% is better.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1924 posts
2400 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EP32k2 wrote: Mines been fine. Reported range is still shit though.
Of course.
You're charging to 50%, the BMS is therefore at the median threshold voltage range where tiny changes in voltage are related to large changes in capacity.
When I charged our Model S to 90% daily for years, it reported 414 km range (out of 425 when new).
Recently, charge to 80% and now I'm seeing 326 km range, which would be 407 km at 90%, supercharged the other day to 90% and got back to 414 again.

Which means, if the battery isn't at a higher voltage, the accuracy of the range calculation is reduced.

Change to % and stop over thinking it.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SmartElectric wrote: Of course.
You're charging to 50%, the BMS is therefore at the median threshold voltage range where tiny changes in voltage are related to large changes in capacity.
When I charged our Model S to 90% daily for years, it reported 414 km range (out of 425 when new).
Recently, charge to 80% and now I'm seeing 326 km range, which would be 407 km at 90%, supercharged the other day to 90% and got back to 414 again.

Which means, if the battery isn't at a higher voltage, the accuracy of the range calculation is reduced.

Not over thinking. You don't seem to understand how range is calculated and I have already stated many times that it is not a guessometer. But whatever you do you, as this has been covered to great lengths on the Tesla Motors forum.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
lobo wrote: Has anyone noticed any issues with their wifi connectivity after upgrading to 2020.12.5? My car used to always connect to our wifi in the garage with no problem. Now when I get into the vehicle I notice that it refuses to connect to it unless I do a soft reboot of the computer. After it comes back online it connects instantly.
I'm not sure whether it is related to 2020.12.5 (which I have) but I have noticed that during the past week or so the car doesn't recognize my phone very well when I approach. It sometimes takes a few seconds before the door unlocks. It has also started to tell me that I have to place my card by the console to drive. This is recent.

I don't end up getting my card out of my wallet. A few seconds later I am able to put the car into gear.

It is a bit irritating though.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
SmartElectric wrote: Of course.
I wish I could report your battery health. My SR+ started at 380 km range at 100% in June 2019.

33,000 km later my 100% rated range (Stats for Tesla and Teslafi are in agreement) is 352 km. That is a loss of over 7.4% compared to your loss of 2.6%.

(As an aside, my driving efficiency is 115%; better than 98% of users, per "Stats".)

My usual charging is 85% to 90%. During 10 months I have dropped below 10% and charged to 100% three or four times to balance the battery cells.
That "information avoidance" is OK for people who do mostly city driving or who are frequently close to a charging station. My driving is usually distance driving of 200-500 km in a day with only one Supercharging station in my area, typically 100 km or more away from where I am.

I need to know how many more kilometres I can drive so that I can always be sure of not running out of charge.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
MexiCanuck wrote: That "information avoidance" is OK for people who do mostly city driving or who are frequently close to a charging station. My driving is usually distance driving of 200-500 km in a day with only one Supercharging station in my area, typically 100 km or more away from where I am.

I need to know how many more kilometres I can drive so that I can always be sure of not running out of charge.
Chademo adapter.
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
typer100 wrote: Chademo adapter.
I’ve got one.

I need one.

I still need to have certainty that I can get to the next (operating) CHAdeMO station. There’s not a lot of them where I go north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
Looks like FSD may be available on a subscription basis. I barely trust AP but I might try FSD or a month or 2.
https://electrek.co/2020/04/28/tesla-pa ... g-package/

Also, automotive margin of 25.5% from today's earnings report. That's pretty damn amazing. As a comparison Ford is at 12.5%, VAG is 19.33%, BMW is 16.66%, GM is 5.61%.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1340 posts
1431 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
anotherbargainhunter wrote: Since many of us don’t drive as much as before, and I just drive once or twice a week less than 10km of so, at what battery level we should charge the battery at to keep the battery health. Do I set it at 80% and leave it plug in everyday?
I kept it at 50% for a few days, but my butt dyno didn't like that the car felt slower. So I'm back to charging to 90%, and my butt dyno is happy again.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
MexiCanuck wrote: I’ve got one.

I need one.

I still need to have certainty that I can get to the next (operating) CHAdeMO station. There’s not a lot of them where I go north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.
Nanaimo :) Lots of memories. Did all navy training in Esquimalt a long time ago. Should have stayed there.
Jun 22, 2007
6929 posts
3559 upvotes
Caledon
MexiCanuck wrote:
This looks like clickbait to me.

I see nothing in the article that suggests that, "Tesla is working on a pay-as-you-go subscription to its “Full Self-Driving Capability” package in order to make its features more accessible."

The article itself says, "There’s code for pay as you go subscription plan, has been for quite a while. Waiting for that eventual time when it will make sense I am sure.".

So code has been there "for quite a while" unused and there is no evidence that it will be used at all, let alone in the foreseeable future.

Effective clickbait, but clickbait nevertheless.
Tesla confirmed it last night

https://electrek.co/2020/04/30/tesla-se ... ice-price/

Musk said:

“I think we will offer Full Self-Driving as a subscription service, but it will be probably towards the end of this year.”

However, both Musk and Kirkhorn emphasized that it will make more sense financially to buy the feature than to subscribe to it:

Musk said:

“I should say, it will still make sense to buy FSD as an option as in our view, buying FSD is an investment in the future. And we are confident that it is an investment that will pay off to the consumer – to the benefit of the consumer. In my opinion, buying FSD option is something people will not regret doing.”

Kirkhorn added:

“Agree. And financially, rolling the upfront purchase of the FSD option into a loan in the vehicle or a lease will be the least expensive plan on a monthly basis to own, plus you preserve the option value of increased value over time.”
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6929 posts
3559 upvotes
Caledon
MexiCanuck wrote: I'm not sure whether it is related to 2020.12.5 (which I have) but I have noticed that during the past week or so the car doesn't recognize my phone very well when I approach. It sometimes takes a few seconds before the door unlocks. It has also started to tell me that I have to place my card by the console to drive. This is recent.

I don't end up getting my card out of my wallet. A few seconds later I am able to put the car into gear.

It is a bit irritating though.
That version got retracted shortly after it went mass release... I got it and no issues . My friend never got it and when he pinged Tesla, he got the below response
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1924 posts
2400 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EP32k2 wrote: Not over thinking. You don't seem to understand how range is calculated and I have already stated many times that it is not a guessometer. But whatever you do you, as this has been covered to great lengths on the Tesla Motors forum.
Stating that range is not a guessometer has two elements:
1. Cars like the Leaf report range based on battery capacity and driving.
2. Cars like the Tesla report range based on battery capacity.

Battery capacity is also a "guess", in that there is significant elements of heuristics involved to gauge the measured cell voltages and conditions (extreme cold and internal resistance).
At 50% SOC, the cell voltages are at a "knee" where small changes in voltage can be reflected in large changes in SOC calculation.
Tesla BMS cannot measure individual cell voltages across thousands of cells, rather, the voltages of a group of cells.
Individual cells are "bled" as the car top balances the pack, so keeping the pack at 50% doesn't even out cells voltages, there can be millivolt differences.
As I clearly outlined, when charging our Model S to 90%, the range reported is ~372km, when charging daily to 80% the range is ~326km and when fully charged (and allowed to sit for a few hours for voltages to settle) 414km.

If you do the math, this has nothing to do with guessometer or other mistaken assumptions you continue to post.
326 is not 80% of 414.
372 is nearly 90% of 414.

Which obviously means, the Tesla BMS provides a more accurate estimate of the percentage of fully charged range (and therefore the km remaining reported on the dash) when the car is charged to 90% than when charged to 80%.

I encourage you to charge your car routinely to 90% and often to 100% like I have done for 5+ years, and you'll stop complaining about the fictional loss of range.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mayoo wrote: Yup hang in there weather is getting better. i will ping you in july and see

IMG_0819.PNG

IMG_0821.JPG
Your data points are a lot better than mine. Look at how erratic it is. Also note the sharp drop when it was still hot/warm out last year.
Images
  • 3DA0A8A3-9CFD-4394-97E5-508410025FC3.jpeg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)