Tesla questions

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2020 8:37 pm
Jul 21, 2014
846 posts
142 upvotes
Canada

Tesla questions

I never really paid attention to the Tesla hype - thought it was a fad and would fade away.

However, we recently got a new client at work who currently drives one, a Model 3. During a meeting this week he was telling us all about it, all the features, etc. For whatever reason I got very curious and decided to look into it a bit more.

The actual Tesla store is just up the street from where I live in Oakville, however, I heard it isn't a typical dealership in that you can't just drop in - an appointment has to be made, etc. Is that true? Can I visit the store just like any other dealership? Is it true you don't need a credit card to test drive one?
18 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
You can visit the showroom and BOOK a test drive. I'm pretty sure they're non-commissioned. You basically still have to order online (they would hand you a tablet if you couldn't do it on your phone or at home on your computer). If you do order online, be sure to get a referral code from an existing owner (such as myself) to get 1500 free Supercharging kms. They're not worth much.....less than $100, but better than nothing.

They're currently sold out of inventory in North America until at LEAST March. Model Y release is also imminent but likely waiting time is a year for that vehicle and it doesn't qualify for $5,000 in federal government incentives like the Model 3 SR+ does.

Just an FYI: Test driving the Model 3 (even the SR+) will wreck you for other vehicles.
Jul 21, 2014
846 posts
142 upvotes
Canada
Rob_EV wrote: You can visit the showroom and BOOK a test drive. I'm pretty sure they're non-commissioned. You basically still have to order online (they would hand you a tablet if you couldn't do it on your phone or at home on your computer). If you do order online, be sure to get a referral code from an existing owner (such as myself) to get 1500 free Supercharging kms. They're not worth much.....less than $100, but better than nothing.

They're currently sold out of inventory in North America until at LEAST March. Model Y release is also imminent but likely waiting time is a year for that vehicle and it doesn't qualify for $5,000 in federal government incentives like the Model 3 SR+ does.

Just an FYI: Test driving the Model 3 (even the SR+) will wreck you for other vehicles.
Good to know. What model do U have?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
AchtungB4by wrote: Good to know. What model do U have?
LR RWD (no longer available). Basically it's an SR+ with a 25% larger battery, more premium sound system and higher rate charging capabilities (able to charge 50% faster at home with the right equipment - up to 75km/hr). The SR+ is the only trim level that qualifies for current incentives. Don't even bother looking into the SR- which is a $45k compliance car to allow the SR+ to qualify for incentives.

If I was buying today, my pick would be a white (included colour option) SR+ with $1300 black/white interior upgrade option and stock 18" aero wheels (can get aftermarket wheels later). Full Self Driving can be purchased later, $9,200 is pretty steep IMO. Would also buy a new Tesla wall connector accessory for my house ($635), but isn't required as you can use the included mobile connector. You would still need to get a 240V 40A circuit installed in the garage to use the 32A charger with - typically shouldn't cost more than $500 to have installed (every setup is different though).
Jul 21, 2014
846 posts
142 upvotes
Canada
Rob_EV wrote: LR RWD (no longer available). Basically it's an SR+ with a 25% larger battery, more premium sound system and higher rate charging capabilities (able to charge 50% faster at home with the right equipment - up to 75km/hr). The SR+ is the only trim level that qualifies for current incentives. Don't even bother looking into the SR- which is a $45k compliance car to allow the SR+ to qualify for incentives.

If I was buying today, my pick would be a white (included colour option) SR+ with $1300 black/white interior upgrade option and stock 18" aero wheels (can get aftermarket wheels later). Full Self Driving can be purchased later, $9,200 is pretty steep IMO. Would also buy a new Tesla wall connector accessory for my house ($635), but isn't required as you can use the included mobile connector. You would still need to get a 240V 40A circuit installed in the garage to use the 32A charger with - typically shouldn't cost more than $500 to have installed.
How is the starting in cold weather? Any issues?
Also, lets say someone has to park their car outside, plugs it in and goes inside - is there some kind of tampering mechanism that would prevent some punk from messing around with the attachment into the vehicle while its charging?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AchtungB4by wrote: How is the starting in cold weather? Any issues?
Also, lets say someone has to park their car outside, plugs it in and goes inside - is there some kind of tampering mechanism that would prevent some punk from messing around with the attachment into the vehicle while its charging?
No issue "starting" in the cold. The chargers connectors is locked into the car so there's no way to pull it out. Also winter range when it's -10c out is horrible, expect range to drop 40%.

Lastly there's a HUGE Tesla thread already...
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
AchtungB4by wrote: How is the starting in cold weather? Any issues?
What do you drive right now? What's your usual daily distance to work? What's you weekend distance?

Quick obvious difference to ICE:
1. When you buy a Tesla, you must invest in a charging circuit in your garage. 220v/30A. Standard 110v/15a cirucits are not ideal, especially winter.
2. Whatever range Tesla say about the model, it's 40% off in winter. You also lose 1% range per hr parking in winter when not plugged in.
3. Charging station is not as plenty as gas station. You may have to plan a bit when you are not doing your usual work route.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4308 posts
597 upvotes
OP I was in this situation before and have to tell you my Model 3 poverty edition (SR+, white and 18" aeros) has met and exceeded expectations. If the range works for you (take the advertised km, multiply by .8 and than multiply by .5 for the coldest of weather), its a fantastic car.

I spent way too much time going back and forth on if the AWD was worth it. If there was no rebate, I would have got it, but the delta of $15k+ is too much to ignore for 100km and better speakers.

If you're looking at similarly priced BMW/MB/Audi, in my opinion it is a no brainer. Good idea might be to budget for ppf (tesla paint is crap) and winters will be required on a SR+ (since it is RWD).
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
op
had 2 test drives at Oakville tesla,,first time with a friend mine and second with wife..both times made an appointment..was about 30 minute outside testdrive on our own...no credit card..just had to show licence
Jul 21, 2014
846 posts
142 upvotes
Canada
I’m just gathering info for now. Won’t be in a position to get one until late summer or fall.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
If you go on a weekday in the middle of the day, you generally won’t have to make an appointment. There’s a pretty good chance you can go in and they’ll have appointments available. I went to sherway when I was looking and I just walked in. The sales aren’t commissioned, so they will take their time with you. I spent an hour and a half test driving two cars back to back.

Depending on what you’re currently driving and depending on what you’re looking to test drive, it may or may not impress you and you may or may not like it. But you’ll only know if you test drive it. Don’t just go off the hype, as everybody’s expectations are different.

I went in thinking that I’d be pretty happy with a Model S LR after all the hype about the car. It was nice, but nope...not very impressed. Wouldn’t spend over 100k on it. It was only a tad bit faster than my current car and doesn’t pull much after 140 or so. Then took the P out for a spin and it floored me. Ludicrous is really the only word to describe it. Took a look at my budget that day, and now I’m picking up a CPO P100D next week.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
Swerny wrote: Oh good, another Tesla thread.
The more the merrier for people who are interested.
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
feel you...only problem with waiting...price might go up again like it went up 1000 I bekieve in novemeber,,as well ,,the 5000 incentive might be gone...
- when first introduced a few years back,,35000 thought wow plus rebate..im in for you..than its 35000 American and 14000 rebate was scrapped and now 5000 federal rebate in Ontario
so just a basic white model 3 short range 55880 plus 7725 tax and fees equal 63605...than - your 5000 federal rebate..so basically 58605 just for a basic model 3 white....
AchtungB4by wrote: I’m just gathering info for now. Won’t be in a position to get one until late summer or fall.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
AchtungB4by wrote: I’m just gathering info for now. Won’t be in a position to get one until late summer or fall.
Honestly, I think waiting is a good thing in this case as I think the used prices will likely come down this year.

It's hard to predict but my personal opinion is that when the Model Y comes out, used Model 3 prices will go down (I think there will be significant demand for the MY over the M3 because more buyers are looking crossovers rather than sedans (and there are probably a few (like me) that only want a hatchback / fastback so aren't interested in the M3 but the MY fits their requirements)). The MY is rumored to possibly be released in the next few weeks (although keep in mind that this could be a very staggered release and only employees will get delivery in the next few weeks, followed by pre-orders for the top trim in select locations (likely CA first), followed by general release of top trims (this is probably when Canada will start getting some), followed by release of lower trims so realistically, it's possible that it wouldn't be available in Canada until the end of the year and lower trims might only be available in Canada in 1-2 years but only Tesla knows (they have improved their capacity since the M3 release so it might not be nearly as long). There are also rumors of a 100 kWh battery and ludicrous version of the M3 coming out and if that's the case, depending on the price, that could affect used M3 prices (e.g. if a "M3 P100DL" is $5k-$10k more than the current M3P, that could affect resale value of M3P, which would trickle down to lower models).

Furthermore, Tesla will be releasing an updated Model S version in the future (possibly as early as this summer, likely later in the year) which will likely have a larger battery pack and "plaid" triple engine package. No one knows how much they sell for but similarly to the "M3 P100DL", if it's not much more than the current MS P100DL, that could affect resale prices of used MS which could affect resale of used M3s (if a slightly used MS P100DL resale prices drop and get close to the price of used M3P, that would probably push M3P used prices down (for a comparable price, I think many buyers would choose a MS P100DL over a M3P). That said, no one (other than Tesla) knows what the price will be. In the past, updated models really haven't been much more than the outgoing one so if that continues, it's possible that the new version will not be a significant premium.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
Xtrema wrote: What do you drive right now? What's your usual daily distance to work? What's you weekend distance?

Quick obvious difference to ICE:
1. When you buy a Tesla, you must invest in a charging circuit in your garage. 220v/30A. Standard 110v/15a cirucits are not ideal, especially winter.
2. Whatever range Tesla say about the model, it's 40% off in winter. You also lose 1% range per hr parking in winter when not plugged in.
3. Charging station is not as plenty as gas station. You may have to plan a bit when you are not doing your usual work route.
1 - Agreed, 240V/32A is VERY nice to have
2 - Doesn't have to be 40% less in winter......if you need more, you just slow down a bit and run more seat warmers and less HVAC. There are definitely ways to drop that to 20-25% winter loss. Also, if you don't run Sentry mode, you don't lose 1% per hour. Sentry mode uses quite a bit.
3 - Lots of Superchargers along main routes. Don't really need to plan long trips, definitely don't have to plan daily trips.
Sep 10, 2017
437 posts
370 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: LR RWD (no longer available). Basically it's an SR+ with a 25% larger battery, more premium sound system
That's a shame, the sound system is the most important feature for me besides the obvious. So the only way to get the premium sound is to upgrade to the AWD? Does that also charge quicker?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4199 posts
2226 upvotes
Niagara
blckmntn wrote: That's a shame, the sound system is the most important feature for me besides the obvious. So the only way to get the premium sound is to upgrade to the AWD? Does that also charge quicker?
Correct re immersive sound (its part of the premium interior) which is included with the LR AWD model.

LR models (currently just LR AWD is on sale) can charge up to 240V @ 48A (~11.5kW on level 2 at home) and upwards of 250kW on V3 superchargers.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
blckmntn wrote: That's a shame, the sound system is the most important feature for me besides the obvious. So the only way to get the premium sound is to upgrade to the AWD? Does that also charge quicker?

EE has a 1 year review of his performance. He did say rear seat sound is weak but front is fine. @13:40 is you care about that portion.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)