• May 5th, 2008 11:55 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 31, 1969

Testing Extended Warrenty at FS for Cell Phone

I got a cell phone from FS
Thread Summary

A thread summary has never been created for this thread.

Add thread summary
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
1939 posts
34 upvotes
Hi there, prepare to die a fiery death, get out while you can!
LIFE IS PURE GENERATED EMOTION
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
mxz600 wrote:
May 2nd, 2008 12:45 am
I got a cell phone from FS through telus and they hounded me to get the exteded 3 yr warrenty, so i got it, now after a year the battery is crapped out and barely holds a charge.

I know batteries are not covered but I would like to try out the warranty. The guy told me that if theres anything wrong with it, in the 3 yrs, then they will replace it with the next best thing. HMMMMmmmmmm.

How can i make teh phone defective without any physical misuse or damage. I was thinking about removing teh battery and 10sec in microwave. Hope it doesn't blow up.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Hey, why don't you burn down your house too (perhaps by creating an 'electrical fault'), to test your home insurance, too?

Just get a new battery. It's a better option than committing fraud.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8292 posts
4014 upvotes
Within the first year, Telus replaces the batteries no question asked. Use that against FS ...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8174 posts
1117 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote:
May 2nd, 2008 12:56 am
Within the first year, Telus replaces the batteries no question asked. Use that against FS ...
If this is so, why buy the extended in the first place?
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8292 posts
4014 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
May 2nd, 2008 3:00 am
If this is so, why buy the extended in the first place?
WITHIN the FIRST year, Telus replaces the batteries with issues, no questions asked ... (all their phones are covered by Telus, no matter where they were bought)

Now you ask what the purpose of EXTENDED warranty is?

I think its pretty self explanatory .... :)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
boyoflondon wrote:
May 2nd, 2008 10:56 am

I agree that there is no purpose to the extended warranty offered by Future Shop or Best Buy but as far as putting the phone in the microwave or doing anything else to try to create a fault I think a company that will try to deny a legitimate claim will be more than happy to find purposeful damage on an item.

Good luck though.

If the OP is being honest when he said that he was told that anything was covered then he could just go back into the store and get tell them this and escalate it up the chain until someone who does not have the time to deal with a cell phone question just says "do it"
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
7493 posts
42 upvotes
Pickering
boyoflondon wrote:
May 2nd, 2008 10:56 am
WITHIN the FIRST year, Telus replaces the batteries with issues, no questions asked ... (all their phones are covered by Telus, no matter where they were bought)

Precisely why they don't call it an extended warranty, and that their service plan as they call it has nothing to do with Telus...
Jan 6, 2008
26 posts
canada
I love how they claim that their service plan is better than Telus's yet Telus covers the battery and they do not. Damaging the phone won't do anything. Just bring it in and tel them what the salesperson said.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6028 posts
440 upvotes
antiflag14 wrote:
May 4th, 2008 12:57 am
I love how they claim that their service plan is better than Telus's yet Telus covers the battery and they do not. Damaging the phone won't do anything. Just bring it in and tel them what the salesperson said.
Uh, doing that will get nothing done.

Doesn't matter what the salesperson said, what matters is what's in the PSP Brochure. The salesman could have promised you a free lapdance with a replacement phone if it got replaced...but if it isn't in the contract then you aren't going to get it. That's not the way the PSP works, nor contract law in general.

What's to stop any person from saying "but the salesman said it was covered" to every single thing that they bought the extended on - especially if the salesman is no longer working there.

For the sake of saying it, you don't need to put the phone in the microwave for that long in order to achieve the results that you're looking for.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6806 posts
564 upvotes
I'm not going to tell you what to do... but you will have a better chance if something goes wrong with the charging connection...

btw is it a psp or prp...
Aug 1, 2006
353 posts
41 upvotes
When I dropped my phone and cracked a hinge I had a FS warranty on it. The guy there said that they don't cover physical damage (which I knew but just wanted to try it out). But then he suggested that he could send it in saying the phone didn't hold charge and that would be the only way to send it in. Did that and they replaced the hinge AND the battery. I guess I got lucky so YMMV, but I would have thought that if you bought an extended warranty, they would cover the battery. I dunno, it could have changed since then, but seems like extended warranty is useless if they don't cover anything.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
shibbyguy wrote:
May 5th, 2008 3:45 pm
seems like extended warranty is useless if they don't cover anything.
I think that is the general opinion on extended warranties. The reason they are so profitable for the companies that sell them is that they don't cover much or their language allows for so many reasons not to cover an item that actual repairs don't eat much into the profits.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2767 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
May 2nd, 2008 12:53 am
Hey, why don't you burn down your house too (perhaps by creating an 'electrical fault'), to test your home insurance, too?
LOL, agreed! What a scam operation that the OP is trying to get us to help them achieve... [IMG]http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/imag ... icon13.gif[/IMG]
antiflag14 wrote:
May 4th, 2008 12:57 am
Welcome to FS' BS marketing ploy. That's why I don't shop there. Never liked their dodgy tatics.

mxz600 wrote:
May 5th, 2008 8:33 am
thanks alot for all your feedback, i went to a telus outlet and he said the battery was covered under one year, but since the battery is loosing its talktime and standby time slowly and not instantly, he reprogrammed the phone to be more efficient with latest firmware and turned off GPS and turned down the backlighting, he said it should last 3X longer now, but i got another 20 days befofre the year is up and then I'll just bring it in and get another battery free, why not.
I will try the charger thing, that sounds easier or better but if i get a new battery I will hold off till maybe the second year. Be better phones then to replace it with. hehe.
OP just go into a Telus store and complain about the battery's life and how you just want it replaced so that you can use your phone with its features. Stop coming here and asking us how to help you sabotage your phone so that you can get a new one.

Besides how much does a battery cost? What's your make and model? Post it here and I'm sure members will help you find one to order online FOR VERY CHEAP!