tetant sublet house without permission

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2020 9:01 pm
Feb 21, 2020
3 posts
1 upvote

tetant sublet house without permission

Hi,

I'm looking forward to some legal advice on tetant sublet.
My tetant sublet my house without permission, and all rooms have been rented out, including 3 ppl in basement.

initially we signed the contract, and he planned to live with his family members, and no plan to sublet as suggested in the contract.

later he rented out the basement with 3 beds, however there is only one badroom there, and two ppl live in the living room of basement.

he notified me when I asked for the entry of the house to check the waterpipe. I requested him to clean it out. but things got tough. later he negotiated with me, and he paid some part of the additional rental fee.

after for a while, he now rented the rest rooms upstair without my permission again. that means there are in total 6ppl living in the house, while there are only 4rooms available(3 upstair, 1 in basement)

what should I do to terminate the contract and ask him to leave?

BTW im located in GTA area

Thanks

Ethan
Last edited by lztor2020 on Feb 23rd, 2020 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
How'd you find out?

Man you should be allowed to sue and recoup all the money he got for rent.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
2222 posts
709 upvotes
6 people in 4 bedrooms. No fire code or building code is broken. Nothing you can do though it sucks for sure and landlords need protection.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Is he still living there? If he is, then by RTA definition, he's not subletting, and you can do nothing about it. If he isn't, the total rent he's collecting can't be more than what he's paying you, and he needed to get your permission. You can find the forms required on the LTB website.

And what exactly did you negotiate earlier? You should have started the eviction process immediately the first time you found out about it. By not doing so, you may have "given permission" to his actions.

C
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Sadly, there’s not much you can do, and why landlords renting out full houses face this risk over and above those who rent out condos.

Just another avenue where landlords can be abused. The only window of dealing with it, is if the actual leasee isn’t living there anymore.

Here’s the details....
http://landlordselfhelp.com/frequently- ... ercrowding