• Dec 8th, 2017 1:15 pm
[OP]
May 10, 2008
47 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Text messages as legal documentation

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct category for posting this, but I'm wondering if any of you have had to use text messages in your business for legal documentation. Are there any apps that you would recommend? The current default text message program on my iPhone doesn't show as much info as I would like so I would prefer not to do print screens.

Or if any lawyer would like to respond, what kind of text message evidence can be used in court?

4 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
134 posts
17 upvotes
not a lawyer here.

but, text messages are almost as good as legal documentation. i have seen several times where judges will accept text msgs in cases.
[OP]
May 10, 2008
47 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:18 pm
not a lawyer here.

but, text messages are almost as good as legal documentation. i have seen several times where judges will accept text msgs in cases.
Thanks Anvil01!

I can get the time of each text in the print screen but the conversation only has the date at the very beginning (above the very first message of the day). I don't know if they can disregard the evidence since the date is not in every print screen. :(
Dec 15, 2015
153 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
Angel Girl wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 6:48 am
Thanks Anvil01!

I can get the time of each text in the print screen but the conversation only has the date at the very beginning (above the very first message of the day). I don't know if they can disregard the evidence since the date is not in every print screen. :(
decipher text message does what you want. One google search of 'I need to save my text messages' popped up 1000s of results....Most of them pertain to legal scenarios too.
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
134 posts
17 upvotes
Angel Girl wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 6:48 am
Thanks Anvil01!

it wont be disregarded. you need to understand a few things.

1. if the other person claims the texts are fake or not real, he will be in major, major trouble when they find out they are real. how do you prove they are official, very easy actually -- if you wanna go to that point and this case is that important?
call ur carrier, ask them to mail you copies of texts from ____ number from dates ___ to _____. you will get an actual document from your carrier with their branding all over it with times not just time but even with seconds. dates. etc.

option b- just bring the phone with you to court! if he says there fake interrupt him and offer the judge to hand him the phone so he can see the texts correspond with the date right there!!! the other dude will back off. i myself have seen this done before and the judge actually looked at the texts.

ppl think text msgs arent legal documentation but they 100% are and judges will accept them. ive seen it in criminal, civil, and at the landlord tenant board hearings