Food & Drink

Thai Express Chicken Pad Thai worse than 4 McBurgers!

[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18301 posts
1107 upvotes

Thai Express Chicken Pad Thai worse than 4 McBurgers!

Ok, just read this article and was shocked at the nutritional numbers of Thai Express Pad Thai..

I like eating this but will definitely make it more of a once in a while thingy...good thing I am bringing my lunch more and more...
The chicken pad Thai has 1,131 calories, 40 grams of fat and 2,594 mg of sodium.

The 1,131 calories is more than double the amount that should be consumed in one meal, especially considering this is an on-the-go lunch. A 1,000-calorie meal could be overlooked if it were a luscious, multi-course special occasion dinner. This is just a container of noodles.

The 40 grams of fat is more than half of what the average person should consume in one day, while the 2,594 mg of sodium is 175 per cent more than the recommended daily allotment.

“You could eat four burgers from McDonalds and still have consumed fewer calories and less fat and sodium than what’s found in this meal,” says Crocker. “You could also eat four grilled chicken wraps from Cultures and consume fewer calories, half the fat and 700 mg less sodium.”
Source: http://www.healthzone.ca/health/dietfit ... rgers?bn=1

DISH: Chicken pad Thai
RESTAURANT: Thai Express
PRICE: $7.89
Serving size: 665 grams
Calories: 1,131
Fat: 40 grams
Sodium: 2,594 mg
Protein: 33 grams
Carbohydrates: 160 grams
23 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2526 posts
59 upvotes
All fast food is awful, it's just a game of which is worse.

Besides the numbers, is there a digestion factor? I always thought that pasta was easier to digest than meat so the numbers may not be all bad.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
2708 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga
There's nothing remotely special about it anyways. Their Pad Thai taste like noodles drowned in asian barbeque sauce.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
useless thread
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2525 posts
219 upvotes
ippon wrote:
Apr 15th, 2011 11:11 am
useless thread

Yes, but it's easier to read because the main ingredient is pasta and not meat.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2359 posts
173 upvotes
I always find it interesting that people find it surprising that their fast food (or worse - fast asian/chinese food) is high in sodium or some other nutrient.
Soya sauce, MSG, veggies, other sauces etc all have sodium. Get over it.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
Thai Express is so nasty man... I don't know how these places stay in business.

It's part of a chain of 3 horrid brands: Thai Express, Tandoori, and Villa Madina.

These idiots can't even do 1 type of cuisine right, they have to make mockeries of 3
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9377 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto
LOL dude it's all in the sauce man.. I had Thai express once before and I remember it being really really saucy. Authentic Pad Thai you should NOT see a puddle of sauce left after you're done.

I'm sure you can cut the back consumption in half if you don't chug the left over sauce dude.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
ashgotti wrote:
Apr 15th, 2011 9:47 am
All fast food is awful, it's just a game of which is worse.

Besides the numbers, is there a digestion factor? I always thought that pasta was easier to digest than meat so the numbers may not be all bad.

it has nothing to do with fastfood.. pad thai from anywhere else isn't going to be any better
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5447 posts
562 upvotes
Mississauga
I only like the Thai Express at Sherway Gardens. I usually order the Chicken Pad Sew. Its so good.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Oct 15, 2003
261 posts
3 upvotes
Agree with the rest of the posters, Thai Express sells the worst pad thai money can buy... Way too saucey, and the sauce itself is horrendous... Toronto is one of the better cities in north america for thai food, theres no reason at all to go to a crappy chain like thai express
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
408 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Raggie wrote:
Apr 15th, 2011 7:39 pm
I only like the Thai Express at Sherway Gardens. I usually order the Chicken Pad Sew. Its so good.

....... :|

Thai Express is the same everywhere you go, it's a franchise. They all get their ingredients and stock from the same distributor. So ji2o0k's info from the article would apply to the Thai Express at Sherway Gardens, or Heartland, or Square One, or Eaton Centre, etc.

Anyway, I suspected as so. I've had real pad thai before from an actual thai restaurant and it tastes so different. I've gotten sick before once eating from Thai Express, at the time, I guessed that it was the lime they left out on the open to air counter in the Yorkdale food court.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5447 posts
562 upvotes
Mississauga
They may be the same franchise and use the same ingredients, but all locations don't taste good. For example - Yorkdale is gross. The cooks at Sherway make it taste good. I think theres one cook whos better and I always hope I get him when I'm ordering food from there.

And it doesn't bother me that it doesn't taste authentic. It still taste good. I like the chewiness of the pad sew noodles (they are the flat ones that look like ho fun). And I never count calories, etc.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Nov 3, 2010
62 posts
mississauga
duckdown wrote:
Apr 15th, 2011 12:47 pm
Thai Express is so nasty man... I don't know how these places stay in business.

It's part of a chain of 3 horrid brands: Thai Express, Tandoori, and Villa Madina.

These idiots can't even do 1 type of cuisine right, they have to make mockeries of 3

I'd have to agree with all the above except Madina, i like the purple beets but their business models are making killer profits, their secret, take ethnic foods and make it avaialble to the Koi Low where they don't have to step into any place that has a name they cant pronouce and viola, profits, the Koi Low palate holds the true profits, just look at Mandarin. (Sign, I wish I invented Mandarin, to make all that money and laugh at how Koi Low's love fake ethnic food)
× < >