Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3147 posts
98 upvotes

Thanks button for posts on Off-topic?

Why isn't there a thanks button for posts made in Off-topic? I see it pretty much in every forum except Off-topic. I'm sure people make useful posts in there too! It would be a quick way to +1 someone's post and put a smile on their face. :cheesygri
6 replies
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
Joshray wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 2:32 am
Why isn't there a thanks button for posts made in Off-topic? I see it pretty much in every forum except Off-topic. I'm sure people make useful posts in there too! It would be a quick way to +1 someone's post and put a smile on their face. :cheesygri
There is no Thanks button in OT because it was deemed unnecessary.
Its probably a good idea since it discourages trolling and/or subtle bullying when participating in a heated discussion.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3147 posts
98 upvotes
AcidBomber wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 4:43 am
There is no Thanks button in OT because it was deemed unnecessary.
Its probably a good idea since it discourages trolling and/or subtle bullying when participating in a heated discussion.
Again, why was it "deemed unnecessary"? How is it going to stop people from trolling/bullying? And if thats the case, wouldn't you just remove this feature from all discussion forums?
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
Joshray wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 4:49 am
Again, why was it "deemed unnecessary"? How is it going to stop people from trolling/bullying? And if thats the case, wouldn't you just remove this feature from all discussion forums?
It was discussed when the feature was first implemented, cant seem to find the thread or else I would link it.

Whether you like to admit it or not, "Thanks" encourages posters to post. Hence you see many users 'asking for thanks'.
When you apply this logic to Off Topic, you really do not want people thanking the trolls so they can continue posting low content threads to gather "thanks".

As for bullying, when people participate in heated discussions in OT, there will be subtle/sarcastic comments (which may not be deemed inappropriate enough to remove).
When people "thank" these posts, the users will be encouraged to continue making similar remarks.

Of course, there are definitely times when I felt like thanking posts in OT for the lol's.
But personally I feel that when you look at the bigger picture, removing the feature is more beneficial due to the nature of OT.

These are just my opinions though. I really do not care if thanks button gets implemented for OT or not.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Joshray wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 4:49 am
I imagine that at some level it's believed that the other forums have more serious discussions in general, where members might actually provide help to resolve real issues; whereas OT is a sewer full of Gangnam Style/insert-fad-here, why does X race/gender act like this, Canada/your city is awesome/disgusting, and DealsDealsDeals-style threads, from which nothing good or helpful has ever come.

When it's basically used as a chatroom half the time anyway, my guess that it is thought that allowing thanks to be given in this environment would dilute the meaning of thanks - i.e. who knows whether you got your thanks by being a genuinely helpful user, or because you can say cumpare a lot.
Jan 6, 2013
44 posts
2 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
The Thanks and Groan buttons are disabled on your own posts (so you can’t thank yourself!) and in some of the Off-topic forums. They are also disabled in all forums for new members, until they accrue 10 posts.
× < >