None
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Thanksgiving Help Needed

My spouse and I are planning a thanksgiving dinner this weekend for the first time. We've decided on the menu and bought all the ingredients.

The only thing we're stuck at is looking for a good idea for bitings/snacks while we prepare dinner. Our friends/guests may come earlier during the day to spend some time with us and while we prepare dinner, what should we feed them?

I really don't want to do the nachos or chips thing. I'd like to stay in theme of thanksgiving.

Any ideas???

BTW, here's our menu.

Roast Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing
Herbed Mashed Potatoes
Glazed Carrots with Grapes and Walnuts
Corn with Chillies and Coconut Milk
Moroccan Vegetables
Cranberry Chutney
Yorkshire Pudding
Pumpkin Pie
Tiramisu
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5974 posts
409 upvotes
BC
there are lots of snacks you could serve over chips or nachos. with a large meal i would go with something light.

cheese plate
fruit (grapes are good nibblers)
nuts
pretzels
That's my 2cents worth
Sep 9, 2004
145 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Shaf wrote:My spouse and I are planning a thanksgiving dinner this weekend for the first time. We've decided on the menu and bought all the ingredients.

The only thing we're stuck at is looking for a good idea for bitings/snacks while we prepare dinner. Our friends/guests may come earlier during the day to spend some time with us and while we prepare dinner, what should we feed them?

I really don't want to do the nachos or chips thing. I'd like to stay in theme of thanksgiving.

Any ideas???

BTW, here's our menu.

Roast Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing
Herbed Mashed Potatoes
Moroccan Vegetables
Cranberry Chutney
Yorkshire Pudding
Pumpkin Pie
Tiramisu

Have you tried M&M's appetizer selection--bite size dumplings/spring rolls and such?? How about the veggies and dip--w/ dip inside the pumpernickel bread??? not sure if it's the right brown bread...dip mixed w/ spinach and something...
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
5 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Quite an impressive menu already. How many people are you feeding? Seems like you have a lot of guests. :)

I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'd recommend you to foodtv.ca. Select receipes and browse. Select Appetizers and narrow down to the main ingredients you want. i echo Keelie's idea of a cheese and crackers plater, maybe some cold cuts as well. Don't stuff them up during the day or you'll be stuck with your turkey for the next 2 weeks. :cheesygri
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
NDman wrote:Quite an impressive menu already. How many people are you feeding? Seems like you have a lot of guests. :)

I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'd recommend you to foodtv.ca. Select receipes and browse. Select Appetizers and narrow down to the main ingredients you want. i echo Keelie's idea of a cheese and crackers plater, maybe some cold cuts as well. Don't stuff them up during the day or you'll be stuck with your turkey for the next 2 weeks. :cheesygri
Thanks for all you tips! Keep them coming!

Cheese platter or rye bread dip sounds good.

It's actually only 4 people! My wife and I and another couple!

BTW, we're making most the food/dessert from scratch.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
1655 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
Cherry tomatoes hollowed out, put some seafood sauce on it, and hang 1 or 2 cooked shrimp on it. Might be a little work, but it looks nice.
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
S14_Raven wrote:Cherry tomatoes hollowed out, put some seafood sauce on it, and hang 1 or 2 cooked shrimp on it. Might be a little work, but it looks nice.
Hmmm..That's a good idea. Thanks.

Anyone else?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4561 posts
558 upvotes
Calgary
Smoked salmon wrapped around Philly cheese

Wasabi coated cashew nuts

Sushi appetizers

Barbecue rib tips

Meatballs/sauce (using toothpicks)

A contrast in appetizers would be fine rather than trying to stay with the traditional thanksgiving fare.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
1823 posts
170 upvotes
Presidents choice makes these cheese and onion puffs app. I always serve and everone raves about them
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
Shaf wrote: Roast Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing
Herbed Mashed Potatoes
Moroccan Vegetables
Cranberry Chutney
Yorkshire Pudding
Pumpkin Pie
Tiramisu
Can i join you for dinner.. Im having none of the above :(
Banned
Dec 7, 2003
1330 posts
Whenever i have company over i usually make a knockoff of Montana's Antojitos appitizers and my guest usually go nuts over them

Basiclly its Cream Cheese ( Plain,Herb,Garlic ect) Tortillas, red peppers, green peppers and hot red peppers sauce ( Found in a jar next to the condements)and grated cheese

Take the Tortilla shell and smother it with cream cheese, Dont be too skimpish put enough on it so that u can barley see the bottom of the shell, then add about 1 tbs of the hot red pepper sauce around the shell ( if ya like it hotter add more) then add finley chopped red peppers and green peppers ( add onions if you wish also I do) add a handfull of cheese and then roll it up. Place it on a baking sheet for 10 minutes at about 350 degrees till golden brown on all sides cut into 4 slices and serve with sour cream.

This can be eaten cold and just as good but better served from the oven.

Here is how they advertise it !

Antojitos( Hot And Spicy)
A large flour tortilla stuffed with cream cheese, green onion, jalapeños, red peppers, parsley and cheddar cheese. Baked crisp, sliced and served with sour cream.

[IMG]http://montanas.ca/images/pic_antojitos.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1510 posts
69 upvotes
cantelopes wrapped in pruschuto (sp?) really really good
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
Sep 27, 2003
9533 posts
2270 upvotes
Newmarket
I'm serving grapes and cheese and wine.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5974 posts
409 upvotes
BC
for a big dinner as you have planned, i'd stick to something light rather than a full course appy platter.

cheese and fruit sound great, and wine of course :D
That's my 2cents worth