• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2019 9:32 pm
Dec 3, 2005
529 posts
243 upvotes
S
freebies_r_us wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 6:22 pm
+1. I thought you could sear with this pan? May need to return otherwise.
You can certainly use high heat to sear meat.
Dec 3, 2005
529 posts
243 upvotes
S
cdfegab wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 6:19 pm
are these better than the debuyer pans?
My de Buyer pans warped. :S
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2436 posts
2104 upvotes
GTA
All-Clad pans conduct heat extremely well and are very responsive to temp changes. I haven't used my fry pan yet but I imagine you can sear without going full blast high heat.... Preheat pan at medium, oil it when hot, increase to medium high and throw on the meat
Nov 23, 2004
751 posts
149 upvotes
willy0275 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 6:38 pm
Description says searing, info about the product says searing... I'd rather believe the official description of the product than some dude on RFD Smiling Face With Open Mouth

EDIT: Even the box says "Oven and broiler safe up to 600°F".
Thanks for the image. Although it does say to use high heat only for boiling? Anyway, decided to keep it. Can't wait to test it out.
Feb 2, 2014
471 posts
535 upvotes
Toronto
waynecarrigan wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 5:46 pm
Exactly. I've had this pan for years and have no issues. First you have the cure it (the same way you would do cast iron - medium heat, light oil, wipe, let cool on it's own). Never run the pan past medium heat (this is not a Wok). Clean with oil and salt.
You definitely do not need to do this stainless steel and you definitely can run it hot. That's what's great about All-Clad. Buy it once, abuse the hell out of it, and it's fine.
Dec 24, 2009
49 posts
19 upvotes
Kfox wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 5:42 pm
The link in OP is the D3

they make 3 different tri-ply fry pans:
1. D3 (OP deal)
2. D3 Amor (dimpled cooking surface) (not as well reviewed)
3. the MC2 pan (Master Chef Series)
Thanks OP, and thanks for the best explanation I picked one up and the box has D3 printed on it and the bottom of the pan has D3 also
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2454 posts
1802 upvotes
Toronto
cdfegab wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 6:19 pm
are these better than the debuyer pans?
how do you define better? for me, I prefer grabbing my debuyer over the allclads, except if I am cooking juicy or acidic dishes
Jul 20, 2005
324 posts
102 upvotes
I busted out my new D3 pan using this method for salmon by Kenji. It worked fantastic with no sticking at all. It's my first time cooking with clad stainless and I am a fan!
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1792 posts
1206 upvotes
Ottawa
Leahjz wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 11:25 am
I busted out my new D3 pan using this method for salmon by Kenji. It worked fantastic with no sticking at all. It's my first time cooking with clad stainless and I am a fan!
There are some good tips in there, thanks! I'm going to try that out next time I make salmon.
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2445 posts
330 upvotes
MELPOMENE wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 6:45 pm
I'm impressed. I managed to warp 2 Matfer pans, but my de Buyer, which is thicker, has been pretty good so far. Perhaps you are turning the heat up too high? (or did at least once)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Feb 26, 2015
111 posts
68 upvotes
In the spirit of getting a good deal on a product actually superior to another, can someone recommend why its worth going with this Allclad over a cheaper $30/50 pan from Amazon or Costco etc? In my experience all stainless lasts close to a lifetime and have a hard time imagining the cooking surface/experience is very different.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1615 posts
902 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Phreman wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 12:36 pm
In the spirit of getting a good deal on a product actually superior to another, can someone recommend why its worth going with this Allclad over a cheaper $30/50 pan from Amazon or Costco etc? In my experience all stainless lasts close to a lifetime and have a hard time imagining the cooking surface/experience is very different.
To make Trump happier, since it's an American product. Make America Great Again!
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2445 posts
330 upvotes
Phreman wrote:
It isn't about durability - all stainless steel will last you a lifetime. It is about the construction and the way it affects your cooking. All-Clad sandwiches aluminum (or copper, if you can afford it) between stainless. This results is a fully heated pan (including the sides) and, most importantly, generates even heat. That way if you load it up with chicken or whatever, you avoid some burning to a crisp while others are stone-cold. Having said that, it isn't perfect and I find the centre to be still a bit hotter. But it is better than you $10 pan.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2454 posts
1802 upvotes
Toronto
MELPOMENE wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 6:45 pm

e-man wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 11:59 am
I'm impressed. I managed to warp 2 Matfer pans, but my de Buyer, which is thicker, has been pretty good so far. Perhaps you are turning the heat up too high? (or did at least once)
do you douse your hot pan in cold water immediately after cooking? that is the biggest culprit which causes warping
Phreman wrote:
e-man wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 1:18 pm
It isn't about durability - all stainless steel will last you a lifetime. It is about the construction and the way it affects your cooking. All-Clad sandwiches aluminum (or copper, if you can afford it) between stainless. This results is a fully heated pan (including the sides) and, most importantly, generates even heat. That way if you load it up with chicken or whatever, you avoid some burning to a crisp while others are stone-cold. Having said that, it isn't perfect and I find the centre to be still a bit hotter. But it is better than you $10 pan.
depends on the construction of the $30 - $50 pans, if they are also cladded (like the $165 10pc cuisinart multiclad pro at costco), then the difference lies in how thick the conductive (aluminium) layer is, usually negligible, and material used. Allclad uses 18/10 stainless steel while Cuisinart uses 18/8 stainless steel. Stainless steel is not as good as aluminium in terms of conducting heat so it is mainly there to add rigidity, enable induction capability, and act as a inert cooking surface.
Your $10-20 T-fal pan you get at Walmart is all aluminium, which has amazing and quick heat distribution, even better than the best cladded cookware (source: https://www.centurylife.org/cookware-ev ... l-gas-etc/). But because the aluminium is thin and a softer metal, it is prone to warping. Also the plastic handles prevent you from finishing your food in the oven.
Jul 29, 2013
724 posts
364 upvotes
Late to the party but ordered the pan using the code: FLASH for 15% off.