Expired Hot Deals

[The Bay] Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine $499.99 PM @BB $473

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2018 3:46 pm
[OP]
Jul 16, 2006
250 posts
56 upvotes
Barrie

[The Bay] Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine $499.99 PM @BB $473

This popular espresso machine is on sale again and you can even PM @BB for $473

$499.99 at The Bay

$779.99 at Best Buy so PM down to $473
KOODO $40/6GB x 3
FM $37.50/5GB x 1
35 replies
Mar 26, 2004
64 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
Good deal, have had this for a few months and love it.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
41543 posts
2548 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I highly recommend waiting for the 840XL to go on sale, typically at the $380-400 mark.

1) If you're interested in espresso, you will outgrow the built-in grinder very quickly. No reason to waste the $100 for a built-in grinder.
2) It's a pain to repair and replace a built-in grinder.
3) The $100 difference can get you a pretty good prosumer level burr grinder when on sale.
***Brand New Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB ONLY $220!!***
Silver Coins | Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2632 posts
851 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 1:40 pm
I highly recommend waiting for the 840XL to go on sale, typically at the $380-400 mark.

1) If you're interested in espresso, you will outgrow the built-in grinder very quickly. No reason to waste the $100 for a built-in grinder.
3) The $100 difference can get you a pretty good prosumer level burr grinder when on sale.
I hear you on repair/replace, but what do you have against the quality of the built-in grinder? Gail and crew at Seattle Coffee Gear rank it on par with the Capresso Infinity or Baratza Encore. Not amazing, but definitely competent.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7284 posts
2697 upvotes
MVRD
unshavenyak wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 2:00 pm
I hear you on repair/replace, but what do you have against the quality of the built-in grinder? Gail and crew at Seattle Coffee Gear rank it on par with the Capresso Infinity or Baratza Encore. Not amazing, but definitely competent.
I can't speak on behalf of Jon, but I think it's the modular aspect.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
41543 posts
2548 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chatbox wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 2:05 pm
I can't speak on behalf of Jon, but I think it's the modular aspect.
This is certainly a big part of it.

I inherited a Baratza Encore from a friend because "it doesn't work". After some research, all it needed was a new burr ring and a rebuild kit as the gear was stripped.

I don't think I would be able to fix it if it was the built-in grinder that had this issue.
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Mar 24, 2006
36 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
Jon Lai wrote:

I own the BES870XL currently as well as have a burr mill that I used in the past with a difference machine. The big advantage of the built in grinder is the convenience. It's much faster then using a separate mill with a lot less mess. Personally I really like having it built in. They designed it really well where you push the portafilter handle forward to start/stop the grinding. I was surprised how quickly i can make coffee compared to in the past.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1824 posts
2027 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:

Got me at "prosumer". So was that a typo/autocorrect, or did you mean that when buying that burr grinder, you would be able to produce good coffee by consuming the coffee beans?
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7284 posts
2697 upvotes
MVRD
PriceHunter wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 2:22 pm
Got me at "prosumer". So was that a typo/autocorrect, or did you mean that when buying that burr grinder, you would be able to produce good coffee by consuming the coffee beans?
There's a second definition of prosumer: Priced between professional and consumer range.

"(marketing, of a consumer product) Targeted at serious, enthusiastic consumers, incorporating professional features but often modified for non-professional use."
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
41543 posts
2548 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PriceHunter wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 2:22 pm
It's a term borrowed from tech - namely when talking about cameras. A prosumer camera would be a product that was designed for professional use but targeted for the average consumer. For example, a mid-range DSLR can be considered prosumer, whereas a consumer level may be a mirror-less point and shoot that does not allow you to change lenses, but a professional one would be a full frame DSLR that costs $3000 for the body alone.

For grinders, I'd say a consumer level one would be a blade grinder that you can pick up at Wal-Mart for $20, up to perhaps a cheap burr grinder that breaks or doesn't grind fine enough for espresso around $40-50. The professional ones are the ones you see at coffee shops that cost $300-500+. Prosumer would be something like the Baratza Encore which retails in the $150 range.
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4263 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
great machine for the price..i use atleast twice daily. which reminds me to buy the filter replacement for water
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
Aug 10, 2006
954 posts
355 upvotes
I own the BES870XL currently as well as have a burr mill that I used in the past with a difference machine. The big advantage of the built in grinder is the convenience. It's much faster then using a separate mill with a lot less mess. Personally I really like having it built in. They designed it really well where you push the portafilter handle forward to start/stop the grinding. I was surprised how quickly i can make coffee compared to in the past.
hands down on convenience, counter space (nice built-in), and also plugs.. i had my machine (older version) almost 9 years now, 3-4 times a day. it paid itself many folds, if it breaks, i'll be buying the BES870XL.

Rocketo wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 2:35 pm
great machine for the price..i use atleast twice daily. which reminds me to buy the filter replacement for water
hi Rocketo.

not sure if this is the same thing, but i just pour in filtered water from a filter brita jug instead of using those expensive small filters meant for the machine.. i also think it doesnt have to work so hard to get the water from the tank with nothing in it's way. interested on what others have been doing?
[OP]
Jul 16, 2006
250 posts
56 upvotes
Barrie
Jon Lai wrote:

I was going to buy 840XL PM@BB for $435 and Breville Smart Grinder Pro (BREBCG820BSSXL) PM@BB for $217.5 under the same logic you listed, and then realized I can buy 870XL PM@BB for $473 so ordered 870XL instead of 840XL for $40 more. I will probably use Smart Grinder Pro for drip coffee dedicated now.
KOODO $40/6GB x 3
FM $37.50/5GB x 1
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4263 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
wakka2u wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 2:47 pm
hi Rocketo.

not sure if this is the same thing, but i just pour in filtered water from a filter brita jug instead of using those expensive small filters meant for the machine.. i also think it doesnt have to work so hard to get the water from the tank with nothing in it's way. interested on what others have been doing?
i actually do that still want to change it though
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm