• Dec 5th, 2018 7:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1066 posts
1972 upvotes
Markham

[The Bay] Breville Smart Oven Air - $408 and Earn 3250 Aeroplan Miles

Use code SAVE to take 15% off, bringing total price to $407.97 before taxes.

Remember to click into The Bay using your own Aeroplan estore link, as they offer 8 points per $ today. The ~3250 Aeroplan miles is easily worth more than the extra $8 you pay vs yesterday's Amazon deal.

Personally had this oven for 2 years and it's pretty amazing.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2390 posts
1060 upvotes
Barrie
The last Breville Oven I owned worked amazing for 3 years, even convinced family members to buy it and then the mainboard died on it and Breville wouldn't do anything for me to fix it. I get it, it had a 1 year warranty but when you by a $300 small appliance you expect it to last more than 3 years. Based on the number of online reports it seemed like a common failure too, but I went all the way up the Breville CS chain and all I could get from them is $50 off my next purchase.

I vowed never to buy another Breville item again...
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
1412 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
RunnerForDeals wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 8:29 pm
The last Breville Oven I owned worked amazing for 3 years, even convinced family members to buy it and then the mainboard died on it and Breville wouldn't do anything for me to fix it. I get it, it had a 1 year warranty but when you by a $300 small appliance you expect it to last more than 3 years. Based on the number of online reports it seemed like a common failure too, but I went all the way up the Breville CS chain and all I could get from them is $50 off my next purchase.

Can i have your coupon then? :D
Louis: Welcome to your first toddler pageant Stewie. Its what you do when you're in Texas.
Stewie: Oh lovely, a first class ticket to a semen stained death in the basement.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1598 posts
134 upvotes
is Aeroplan like airmiles, can one redeem aeroplan for cash in stores?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1066 posts
1972 upvotes
Markham
reggyDeal wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 9:02 pm
is Aeroplan like airmiles, can one redeem aeroplan for cash in stores?
No, you can redeem for cash cards (bad way to use it), Costco membership (better than cash cards, but still not optimal) or flights (best way, especially if you go for business long haul tickets).
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14701 posts
1067 upvotes
Markham
RunnerForDeals wrote:

Fingers crossed mine doesn't die... It's used everyday!
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2947 posts
1061 upvotes
Scarborough
RunnerForDeals wrote:

I wouldn't say to never buy anything from them because of one experience. They did offer you $50 off the next product and your appliance did come with a one year warranty and it got you 2 extra years out of it. I wouldn't necessarily put them under the bus. And what about the family members you convinced to buy the same product I'm assuming theirs are still up and running? Exactly!
Oct 5, 2017
304 posts
92 upvotes
RunnerForDeals wrote:

Credit cards have +1 additional year right? Did you file a claim?
Jun 20, 2010
955 posts
605 upvotes
Chandlerparsons wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 2:24 pm
Credit cards have +1 additional year right? Did you file a claim?
His oven died on the 3rd year - past the credit card 2nd year coverage.
Feb 13, 2004
725 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the older Breville BOV845BSS and it has been great. Preheats in a fraction of the time a big oven does, which I no longer use except for turkeys. I also was concerned when buying it after reading the high failure rates of the element inside. So for have had it for 2+ years and still going. My LCD display acts up for periods of time where I can't see one of the lines on the display. Some how fixed it self for a few months and now have issue again.
Oct 5, 2017
304 posts
92 upvotes
Twism wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:05 pm
I have the older Breville BOV845BSS and it has been great. Preheats in a fraction of the time a big oven does, which I no longer use except for turkeys. I also was concerned when buying it after reading the high failure rates of the element inside. So for have had it for 2+ years and still going. My LCD display acts up for periods of time where I can't see one of the lines on the display. Some how fixed it self for a few months and now have issue again.
I have that also.. Do we need to remove the plug every time or you just leave them alone plugged in?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3232 posts
2298 upvotes
Ottawa
I got mine from Costco (@$480 earlier this year and 4x Aeroplan). It comes with a 2 year warranty, not sure if the CapitalOne MC will extend it more than 2 years, worst comes to worst, there's Costco warranty behind it.

Before giving up on Breville, I'd try to look at the sites below. I've been able to fix most of my appliances from what I found on the net including ovens, microwaves, espresso makers, etc.

The thermal fuse seems to be a common problem with the Breville Smart Ovens, check this out if you have a Breville and it may help you in the future with an easy fix.
http://virantha.com/2014/03/02/fix-your ... rmal-fuse/
"Thanks a million! I was able to take the unit out of the trash and give my 16 yr. old son a project. Thanks to your great instruction, it now works like new and my son got a huge dose of self satisfaction for being able to repair something vs trash it. Appreciate you posting this!" <--- That's a great ending!
Note: reading the posts on the site indicates that the thermal fuse can fail multiple times after the replacement and there are some other fixes (solder joints) beside the thermal fuse.

... or the Power Control Circuit Board http://www.fixya.com/support/t24844152- ... d_controls
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/power ... 30230.html
https://www.fix.com/parts/small-applian ... /breville/
Last edited by gumby on Dec 5th, 2018 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.