Expired Hot Deals

[The Bay] Tommy Hillfiger Dresshirts - 19.99 & Ties - 14.99 - One day sale WEDNESDAY ONLY

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 8:32 pm
[OP]
Nov 1, 2016
106 posts
79 upvotes

[The Bay] Tommy Hillfiger Dresshirts - 19.99 & Ties - 14.99 - One day sale WEDNESDAY ONLY

One day sale. Pretty good deal.

Ties link:

https://www.thebay.com/Men/Accessories/ ... SMENS_TIES
Last edited by Paradoxical on Dec 12th, 2018 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
36 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10997 posts
2571 upvotes
Not a bad deal, but beware the shirts that the Bay gets in for these promos (Bench, TH, Calvin Klein, etc) are different quality than the ones they sell everyday. We have bought the Tommy shirts in the past and while they are still a great deal at $20, they aren't worth what the usual MSRP they claim they are. The Bench tops we bought before for $30, half went back after being worn once, as they pilled up really bad. Staff even confirmed that the quality was not the same as the other Bench merch they carry every day.
Was going to mention, but just noticed in the link, Ties are on for $15. Some sharp styles available!
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2016
106 posts
79 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 1:42 am
Not a bad deal, but beware the shirts that the Bay gets in for these promos (Bench, TH, Calvin Klein, etc) are different quality than the ones they sell everyday. We have bought the Tommy shirts in the past and while they are still a great deal at $20, they aren't worth what the usual MSRP they claim they are. The Bench tops we bought before for $30, half went back after being worn once, as they pilled up really bad. Staff even confirmed that the quality was not the same as the other Bench merch they carry every day.
Was going to mention, but just noticed in the link, Ties are on for $15. Some sharp styles available!
While that might be true, I don't think brands like Tommy and Calvin Klein will taint their name with selling bad quality goods. They are most likely still decent quality. Can't even get H&M for $20 :(
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10997 posts
2571 upvotes
Paradoxical wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 1:50 am
While that might be true, I don't think brands like Tommy and Calvin Klein will taint their name with selling bad quality goods. They are most likely still decent quality. Can't even get H&M for $20 :(
Well, they do... same is said about the ones that sometimes appear in Costco. Just like any other company or market (electronics, cars, appliances), brand name companies can have different levels of quality, based on what the consumer is willing to pay. I am not saying that the shirts are GARBAGE, they are not the same quality as a shirt that costs twice as much or more. And it works in their advantage anyhow, as now, the common person, who doesn't normally buy a bunch of dress shirts, can get some Brand name shirts, that look pretty nice for a price in their budget. Helps the Bay, helps the brand name, more people are wearing their goods.
Here is last year's thread on the CK shirt and tie deal.
the-bay-tuesday-nov-28-1-day-sale-mens- ... 9-2148769/

Again, not saying that the value isn't still there, but don't think that the Bay is selling you a $70 shirt for $20, they are selling you a $30 for $20. If you buy one, and then buy an everyday one off the rack, you'll feel and see the difference.

[OP]
Nov 1, 2016
106 posts
79 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 2:05 am
Well, they do... same is said about the ones that sometimes appear in Costco. Just like any other company or market (electronics, cars, appliances), brand name companies can have different levels of quality, based on what the consumer is willing to pay. I am not saying that the shirts are GARBAGE, they are not the same quality as a shirt that costs twice as much or more. And it works in their advantage anyhow, as now, the common person, who doesn't normally buy a bunch of dress shirts, can get some Brand name shirts, that look pretty nice for a price in their budget. Helps the Bay, helps the brand name, more people are wearing their goods.
Here is last year's thread on the CK shirt and tie deal.
the-bay-tuesday-nov-28-1-day-sale-mens- ... 9-2148769/

Again, not saying that the value isn't still there, but don't think that the Bay is selling you a $70 shirt for $20, they are selling you a $30 for $20. If you buy one, and then buy an everyday one off the rack, you'll feel and see the difference.
Yes. I agree with all you said. They had the Calvin Klein sale last week :)
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1224 posts
491 upvotes
I would think that all shirts whether CK, Tommy Hilfiger, Arrow, etc are sold at a very high markup which why they are on sale year round all the time. What evidence is there that these shirts are genuinely different than what you would normally get?
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10997 posts
2571 upvotes
Diafel wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 2:15 am
I would think that all shirts whether CK, Tommy Hilfiger, Arrow, etc are sold at a very high markup which why they are on sale year round all the time. What evidence is there that these shirts are genuinely different than what you would normally get?
Personal experience, other users reviews and observations, store staff admitting to the high number of returns due to quality. As well, I have a family member who has been a tailor for over 50 yrs, has been to the factories where these shirts are made and has seen them come off the "line" and be categorized per store or value. Again, not that these are different than what you normally get, but these sale shirts are not on the racks in the Bay except during these sales. The staff has even said that they come in special for the sale. And it's not that you are getting a terrible shirt, they are nice, they are worth the $20, maybe more...
I will most likely buy some again, as it's nice to refresh the wardrobe and this is my sweetspot price, as I don't have a job that requires me to wear a shirt and tie, these are for the odd occasion.

Dec 25, 2013
192 posts
116 upvotes
Brampton/Waterloo
Thanks OP, bought some, lets see how they fit. Calvin Kleins don't fit too well, Kenneth Cole ones fit great, don't know about Tommy
IPTV Gold Provider
Nov 21, 2006
480 posts
206 upvotes
Paradoxical wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 1:50 am
Oh yes... they they will do it and they will sell their mother and the first born for an extra buck
A $19.99 shirt will be a $19.99 quality, don't be naive and expect for more
May 31, 2008
671 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
Tomsmith1234561 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 6:04 am
Do you know if these are iron free?
Usually tommy shirts at the bay will have “iron free@ in the title. Some of the shirts with patterns i found in past to be iron free anyways.It doesnt appear that any of the solids are iron free except those 39.99 everyday value ones
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
5600 posts
3431 upvotes
Toronto
If you're getting some boxed ties to gift, just remember to unbox the tie and check if it has any additional price tags on the tie itself.

It happened to me once in the past, that before gifting the tie, I took away the price tag label that is right on the box, but it never occurred to me to check the tie itself... well, after I gave the gift, we realized the tie itself also had a price tag (it was so embarrassing)... so just quickly double check the tie if you bought some as gifts, before wrapping them.
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2334 posts
1651 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 2:18 am
... but these sale shirts are not on the racks in the Bay except during these sales. The staff has even said that they come in special for the sale.
Having previously worked at The Bay, I can confirm that yes, most of the one-day sale items during the Christmas season come in special for the sale and are not merchandise that is regularly carried in the store. There is a whole industry now feeding the outlet chains and it is relatively easy to have lesser quality goods manufactured for sale promos.

I have seen these Calvin Klein and Tommy shirts and ties reguarly on cruise ships when they have their sidewalk sales for $10 and $15.