• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2017 2:46 pm
[OP]
May 22, 2013
65 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver

[The Bay] WMF 4.5 Quart Perfect Pro Pressure Cooker

It's currently on clearance at The Bay, made in Germany. Does anybody think having a pressure cooker would be useful?

I currently only have the following cookware and looking to add the WMF 4.5Q Perfect Pro Pressure Cooker to my cooking arsenal:
- Le Creuset 3.3 L (3.5 QT) Palm French Round Dutch Oven
- Le Creuset 10" (25cm) Palm Iron Handle Skillet
- LAGOSTINA Endura Wok Open 26cm
Last edited by rMBA13 on May 19th, 2017 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1048 posts
466 upvotes
Pallet Town
rMBA13 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:32 am
Does anybody think having a pressure cooker would be useful?
I can't vouch for this model specifically (although I have a WMF pot that I find to be high quality), but I do think having a pressure cooker is useful IF you're going to use it. Just last night I made beef stew in about an hour and a half that tasted like I cooked it all day.

Like all kitchen appliances other than the fridge/stove/microwave, it depends on if you're willing to learn how to use it properly.
Jan 22, 2015
453 posts
94 upvotes
N/A
I watched the Jacques Pepin cooking show and he would trot out a pressure cooker from time to time: https://www.amazon.com/Jacques-Pepin-Fa ... B008VH9LE0

Awesome, and mouth watering. He would talk about how his mother would come home from work and throw a roast in the cooker and they'd be eating it that night - no cooking it for hours - wham, bam, delicious!

Oh, and if I had the funds, I'd be all over this!
[OP]
May 22, 2013
65 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Too bad this item doesn't qualify for the additional 15% off using The Bay credit card
Aug 27, 2013
284 posts
109 upvotes
Pressure cookers are great, but 4.5 Quart is probably too small for most people... 'coz you can't fill a pressure cooker to the rim.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2003
4497 posts
450 upvotes
GVR
Goggle pressure cooker accidents... And look at the results from image search.
Oct 12, 2008
237 posts
227 upvotes
Markham/Vaughan
chatbox wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:04 pm
Almost all modern pressure cookers have safety features that prevent pressure cookers from being opened under pressure.

Modern pressure cookers are not what our grandmas used.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2163 posts
859 upvotes
Calgary
chatbox wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:04 pm
actually, modern present day pressure cookers are safer than boiling water in a sauce pan. I cant speak about cookware I dont have or havent used but I do own a set of 3 Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers & they are extremely well built with a spring-loaded precision valve, integrated lid locking and 3 safety redundancy release systems. the lid wont lock in if its not fitted correctly & once locked in, there's not much of a possibility of "accidents".

& even if one intentionally tries, it's basically impossible to over pressurize it to the point of an explosion atleast on the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic cookers. this is why with potential IEDs (ie.pressure cookers), it's best to NOT be penny wise & pound foolish.

if not for the brand or even quality, then just for safety's sake - BUY THE BEST ONE CAN AFFORD!
[OP]
May 22, 2013
65 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
If I buy this pressure cooker, I definitely won't need a saucepan, right?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2163 posts
859 upvotes
Calgary
rMBA13 wrote:
May 20th, 2017 11:01 am
If I buy this pressure cooker, I definitely won't need a saucepan, right?
honestly & personally, I would pick up this WMF 8.5Qt cooker for $30 more rather than the 4.5Qt in the op....unless ofcos one has a specific need for a specific size. for general usage, the 8.5Qt will be far more versatile.

do be aware that PC's are meant to be filled to 2/3's max (1/2 for certain items that expands & froths) & NOT to the brim so a 4/5Qt only has an effective vol of 3Qt. remember one can always cook less but one cannot cook more than the intended vol with the only penalty of needing more time to reach pressurization.

but to answer your original query, yes one can use it as a saucepan &or stockpot &or braiser depending on the configuration. the only extra option would be an appropriate lid for non pressure situations.
Mar 7, 2011
747 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
scotsum wrote:
May 20th, 2017 12:20 pm
honestly & personally, I would pick up this WMF 8.5Qt cooker for $30 more rather than the 4.5Qt in the op....unless ofcos one has a specific need for a specific size. for general usage, the 8.5Qt will be far more versatile.

do be aware that PC's are meant to be filled to 2/3's max (1/2 for certain items that expands & froths) & NOT to the brim so a 4/5Qt only has an effective vol of 3Qt. remember one can always cook less but one cannot cook more than the intended vol with the only penalty of needing more time to reach pressurization.

but to answer your original query, yes one can use it as a saucepan &or stockpot &or braiser depending on the configuration. the only extra option would be an appropriate lid for non pressure situations.
There's also a 6.5 QT one which is a great size, I'd say.
Jul 11, 2006
28 posts
4 upvotes
I love my 4.5L Presto SSteel PCooker. I live alone. It works quite well for 2 people as well. It depends what you are cooking with it. I use it almost everyday. I also have the larger size ..box unopened. Bought it to make cheesecakes.

That old fear thing is lodged in the brains of so many.

I recently spoke to an older lady and she raved about slow cookers. I asked about PC and she said she did not know anyone you used them. She asked a lady next to her..same thing.

I am an older guy and I like ie cooking potatoes, carrots, string beans. Properly cut up...size wise I cook it for 2.5 to 3 min. after the 'rocker' is moving. Best way to cook beets.

I highly recommend.

The item posted is very expensive. Go to amazon and check out Presto..SSteel.
[OP]
May 22, 2013
65 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm leaning towards the 4.5Q because at the same time I also need a saucepan as an addition to my 3.5QT Dutch Oven
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2163 posts
859 upvotes
Calgary
kayceedee wrote:
May 20th, 2017 1:03 pm
There's also a 6.5 QT one which is a great size, I'd say.
I have a 5.5Qt KR & it does work. however I like to make a larger batch for either freezing or multi day meals esp for soups. the newly acquired 8.4Qt KR fits my needs so much better + the longer stockpot length makes it easier for pressure steaming as well.