• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2017 7:21 am
[OP]
Sep 6, 2016
73 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary

[The Shoe Company] Kodiak Lander Boots -50C $47+tax

Not the best looking boots, but not ugly either and are rated to -50C. Still many sizes available.
263101050-03-base-conversionFormat-1200-conversionFormat.jpg
15 replies
Sep 10, 2017
136 posts
14 upvotes
Hello RFDers, please suggest if there are similar deals for women winter boots that are decent looking and light weight.
Last edited by Rogues2017 on Oct 21st, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 17, 2010
106 posts
39 upvotes
Rogues2017 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 10:30 pm
Hello RFDers, please suggest if there are similar deals for winter boots that are decent looking and light weight.
If you don't need it right now, I would wait for a sale at Canadian Tire. I got my Itasca Icebreaker boot at CT around August/September for $25 dollars + tax.
I can't vouch for the warmness of the boot as it was an impulse purchase and this will be my first winter in them. It has Thinsulated insulation, however I don't think it's rated for -50 degree Celsius like the OP's post.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
1654 posts
605 upvotes
Ottawa
Rogues2017 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 10:30 pm
Hello RFDers, please suggest if there are similar deals for winter boots that are decent looking and light weight.
I'm shopping for pretty much the same thing. I just pulled the trigger on Left & Right Commuter Boot Hi. They're replacing a similar style of Clark's boots I have that sprung a leak. I don't know how warm they are but I don't need extreme warmth for my commute. The zip-up style is acceptable with business clothes. Ebates.ca offers 3% cash back.
Nov 26, 2006
87 posts
8 upvotes
Can anyone attest to the comfort/quality of these? Seems like a decent deal for the brand
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1588 posts
160 upvotes
NB
Are these true to size or should I size down?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2010
2436 posts
446 upvotes
DFR Headquarter
I was worried there wouldnt any sale on mens boots prior to winter hit so ive bought this Your text to link here... in the summer for $65. It looks good and says all the things im looking for but hopefully its warm and serves its purpose. maybe i should have held out for practical boots
[OP]
Sep 6, 2016
73 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
If you have a size issue that is more of excess volume than length (which seems to be the case for the guy in the Sears thread below), a possible remedy is to add a pair of thick felt cold weather insoles. As an added bonus they might make the boots even warmer. I have an average volume foot and will report back how they fit me as soon as I get mine.
MaximDude wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 11:43 pm
I tried these boots last BF and I have to say that while build quality looked decent, the big problem for me was that they didn't fit well. The biggest issue was that for some reason they made the height of the inside of the boot much too high so that when you're walking your foot is always moving and is never secured especially at the front of the foot where your foot and toes aren't snug against the top of the boot.

Maybe they changed the design this year but that was the reason why I bought and then returned them last year.
[OP]
Sep 6, 2016
73 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
FlamingTuxedo wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 7:04 pm
free shipping and free returns every1.

TY OP!
You're welcome :) I think you mean free returns in-store, right? You have to pay for return shipping. However, there are many locations which you can return to because it can be any Town Shoe branded store. Per their return policy:
... Take your unworn merchandise in its original packaging to any Town Shoe Limited store (DSW Canada, Town Shoes, The Shoe Company, or Shoe Warehouse).
You must have a copy of your original Sales Receipt or Order Confirmation email. ...
[OP]
Sep 6, 2016
73 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
My boots arrived yesterday. Got size 8, my usual size (although it can occasionally be 8.5). I have average volume feet. The boots fit fine in terms of length and width but, as others have reported, they are very roomy above the foot. As mentioned before this situation can easily remedied with thick insoles. My feet indeed feel nice and cozy with them in.

By the way, the insoles I used were these Moneysworth insoles (Size 10 is currently cheapest at $3.79 so I ordered those and cut to size. If you need a larger size, Walmart might be cheaper.) When the felt insoles get packed out over time I might need to add something like odor eaters. Anyway, I also ordered some genuine sheepskin insoles from Aliexpress for C$7+change and will try those out.

The picture below shows a North Face Chilkat 400 beside the Lander. The Chilkat has a smaller profile with its Primaloft insulation vs the Lander's felt insulation. The Lander looks quite bulky in comparison, but this was not a problem for me while walking around the house -- the outsole is quite flexible. The Lander is also a bit lighter at 794g vs 825g for the Chilkat (size 8.5), but the difference is probably due to cheaper materials.

The Chilkat is rated to -40C vs -50C for the Lander. The felt inside the Lander looks like nothing special, so I'm not sure if Kamik's -50C rating is optimistic or not. If the Lander at least comes close to the Chilkat in terms of warmth, it will still be good value for money IMO.
Images
  • lander vs chilkat.jpg