Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] D-link All-In-One mobile companion ($9.96)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 8:49 am
[OP]
Oct 15, 2014
288 posts
499 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

[The Source] D-link All-In-One mobile companion ($9.96)

18 replies
Aug 21, 2011
94 posts
21 upvotes
Did anyone try it? It looks good for the price. I may get one even if I don't need one for now. It may be used to create a WiFi network and use Internet in a location where WiFi has signal strength or congestion issues (such as a hotel or conference centre WiFi) if you have access to an Ethernet jack.
Sep 12, 2013
444 posts
182 upvotes
this is what I need! OOS!

It is 49.95 at amazon!
that was a good price at the source.

I am not sure about this tplink alternative though...

Your text to link here...
Nov 24, 2012
844 posts
599 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
HmizaHadi wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 9:28 pm
Did anyone try it? It looks good for the price. I may get one even if I don't need one for now. It may be used to create a WiFi network and use Internet in a location where WiFi has signal strength or congestion issues (such as a hotel or conference centre WiFi) if you have access to an Ethernet jack.
We've had one for several years now; it functions as a router, access point, repeater or hotspot. It has been useful while travelling (extending Wi-Fi etc) and as an extension/guest Wi-Fi at home. We bought at $29-39 (can't recall exactly, it was prior to a trip in 2013) and have more than got our money's worth, so this price is a great deal. It's only 2.4GHz N but for what one is likely to use it for that is certainly adequate.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10658 posts
2892 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Too bad it's not USB powered. I have a TP-Link that is powered over USB which is nice when you aren't in your room and want to share your connection. Does anyone know if this one supports WISP? Have been looking for one that can share hotel wifi that requires a browser login, which requires WISP.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2730 posts
1491 upvotes
Kitchener
I have one of these, and they are awesome. I use it whenever I am in a hotel. It gives you a secure network, which is great, plus you can bring a chrome stick with you and watch movies that way, rather than pay $30 for an in-house movie. My last stay at the Marriot had an open connection. The device automatically connect, but created a secure wifi connection. $10 is a steal, but even $20 is good.

Probably one of the better purchases that I have made. I don't use it a lot, no need in the house, but super handy when on the road.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2730 posts
1491 upvotes
Kitchener
ceredon wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 7:46 am
Too bad it's not USB powered. I have a TP-Link that is powered over USB which is nice when you aren't in your room and want to share your connection. Does anyone know if this one supports WISP? Have been looking for one that can share hotel wifi that requires a browser login, which requires WISP.
I believe it does. I know because the one hotel I was at, required a login, which you do through the hotspot set-up.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2009
1117 posts
735 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
Too bad the link doesn't exist anymore. I wanted to check in-store stock levels. Only the refurb shows up.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10658 posts
2892 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
jeff1970 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 7:50 am
I believe it does. I know because the one hotel I was at, required a login, which you do through the hotspot set-up.
So you enter the login on the hotspot set up or in your own web browser when first trying to connect to the internet?
Last edited by ceredon on Apr 24th, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2730 posts
1491 upvotes
Kitchener
ceredon wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 8:55 am
So you enter the login on the hotspot set up or in your own web browser when first trying to connect to the internet?
You go into the settings of the device, which obviously is a web address. The address is something like http://dlinkrouter####.local (#### is a variable number) Everything is pasted on the side of the device. From there, you go to the hotspot setup, and the one option is to login into a wifi hotspot (the hotels) and password (if it's a secured network). I haven't had any issues yet. More and more hotels are leaving their network "open", I guess it causes less issues. Either way, though, you get a more reliable connection. It also has ethernet if the hotel offers that, in which case, you only need to connect to the devices hotspot name. Also has a charging option, so if you need to charge a phone or something.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10658 posts
2892 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
jeff1970 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 6:49 pm
You go into the settings of the device, which obviously is a web address. The address is something like http://dlinkrouter####.local (#### is a variable number) Everything is pasted on the side of the device. From there, you go to the hotspot setup, and the one option is to login into a wifi hotspot (the hotels) and password (if it's a secured network). I haven't had any issues yet. More and more hotels are leaving their network "open", I guess it causes less issues. Either way, though, you get a more reliable connection. It also has ethernet if the hotel offers that, in which case, you only need to connect to the devices hotspot name. Also has a charging option, so if you need to charge a phone or something.
Doesn't sound like WISP at all. The logins I am talking about are hotspots that allow you to connect to wifi with no credentials and then do a DNS redirect in your browser when you first try to connect to an external web site, like redflagdeals.com or google.ca. Once you login, you then have access which can have some session limit imposed. In newer implementations this can also be tied to MAC addresses to try to prevent sharing. This is common at resorts, hotels, libraries, etc, especially ones that want to require rotating logins, individual login credentials or session limits.