Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Edifier R12U USB Powered Computer Speakers - Black - $7.40 - 7.96 free ship to store

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2018 2:28 pm
Dec 24, 2007
355 posts
63 upvotes
Rsnav09 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 12:26 am
Thanks again OP! Not bad for this price. Bought another one for in-store pick up.
Did in store pickup guy open the box took out the speaker and flashlight but only gave me the speaker. Is this normal for instore pickup for the employee to open box?
Dec 5, 2005
896 posts
335 upvotes
Earth
lbckhmerinc wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 1:48 pm
Did in store pickup guy open the box took out the speaker and flashlight but only gave me the speaker. Is this normal for instore pickup for the employee to open box?
I would file a complaint with head office, or at the very least email/ask if that's normal procedure.
Koodo: 10GB 4G LTE Unlimited Canada-wide calling, Text and Picture Messages
Zoomer Wireless: $45 6GB 4G LTE Unlimited Canada-wide calling, Text, Picture and Video Message
Apr 14, 2006
537 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
lbckhmerinc wrote:
They opened my box in store to check contents and take the shipping slip. They guy was nice though, he knew it was a freebie. He was surprised to see it too. Yes, go back and get your free gift.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7797 posts
1203 upvotes
Winnipeg
toomuchpie wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 11:45 pm

You're right. Let me clarify:
These speakers sound worse and a lot less loud than a cheap pair of 2 channel Logitech speakers that are powered with a seperate power supply rather than usb. When I say cheap, think somewhere slightly under the MSRP of these Edifier speakers.
but thats apples to oranges and totally expected. Its usb only powered thats ultimately the only rating it should be compared too. A limit to the power its designed to draw from.
SickBeast wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 11:56 am
How loud are these?
power output 2w x 2.

For comparison most common usb powered speakers are usually 1.25w x2 with some soundbar usb powered average 1.5w x2. If your usb isn't up to snuff it could get a drawing too much power notification.

The niche here is quick and easy source with power control. No secondary source, so no phantom power. Its on when the device is on off when device is off etc. I will say there not like those cheapo ones we all know from china etc. Those that looked like actual speakers on the outside but had headphone speakers inside.

They are by no means great. But they gotta be hitting atleast tier 2 for "usb powered class" speakers due to lack of true base). If "usb powered class" was an actual rating. LOL

These will be an inexpensive way to circumvent very crappy audio on low end tv's by only the tv's usb and 3.5mm thats for sure. Just don't try maxing the volume if its just a standard usb 2.0 port its drawing power from! Better then to use a rated usb 3.0 .9amp port.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2771 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered 2, for the price it seems decent enough to have a pair at work.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1065 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
legendofxix wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 4:29 pm
Ordered 2, for the price it seems decent enough to have a pair at work.
You can blast audio from speakers at work? Must be nice :)
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2771 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
VertigoM wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 4:53 pm
You can blast audio from speakers at work? Must be nice :)
Work the late shift + need to watch Raptors games
Last edited by legendofxix on Oct 28th, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 27, 2015
23 posts
25 upvotes
T2Y 4B3
As a true RFDer, I bought it thru ebates for 1% cash back Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes.. Thanks OP!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7797 posts
1203 upvotes
Winnipeg
SickBeast wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 11:56 am
How loud are these?
heres some hands on......their pretty darn loud for just usb if the power source is good and clean.I got no static at max volume using usb charger 2 amp with laptop youtube thru its 3.5mm.

Here's whats interesting from the volt meter(plug version I don't own a usb version). Its not 100% accurate of course, but its better than some for accuracy.

Max volume on laptop and usb speakers running "test base" youtube video.

It spiked at 7watts and .7amps at times. I found the more "base" audio file the more juice it draws. Wild that this thing can draw more power than its 2w x2 rms rating but maybe thats common I'm no audiophile. So I wager its best used thru usb 3 port or .9amp usb port if its cranked.

I also found no static at max when the power was adequate(must be shielded I guess). So careful when going for 11on the knob you don't want to burn out anything at speaker or source if not adequate power.Its not again the greatest sound but its not horrid either since no real base. Its decent for 8 bucks. Definitely like this edifier brand.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14606 posts
5795 upvotes
lead wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 7:08 pm
heres some hands on......their pretty darn loud for just usb if the power source is good and clean.I got no static at max volume using usb charger 2 amp with laptop youtube thru its 3.5mm.

Here's whats interesting from the volt meter(plug version I don't own a usb version). Its not 100% accurate of course, but its better than some for accuracy.

Max volume on laptop and usb speakers running "test base" youtube video.

It spiked at 7watts and .7amps at times. I found the more "base" audio file the more juice it draws. Wild that this thing can draw more power than its 2w x2 rms rating but maybe thats common I'm no audiophile. So I wager its best used thru usb 3 port or .9amp usb port if its cranked.

I also found no static at max when the power was adequate(must be shielded I guess). So careful when going for 11on the knob you don't want to burn out anything at speaker or source if not adequate power.Its not again the greatest sound but its not horrid either since no real base. Its decent for 8 bucks. Definitely like this edifier brand.
Thanks for that I really appreciate it.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
May 29, 2008
698 posts
219 upvotes
Hamilton
lead wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 3:05 pm
but thats apples to oranges and totally expected. Its usb only powered thats ultimately the only rating it should be compared too. A limit to the power its designed to draw from.

power output 2w x 2.

For comparison most common usb powered speakers are usually 1.25w x2 with some soundbar usb powered average 1.5w x2. If your usb isn't up to snuff it could get a drawing too much power notification.

The niche here is quick and easy source with power control. No secondary source, so no phantom power. Its on when the device is on off when device is off etc. I will say there not like those cheapo ones we all know from china etc. Those that looked like actual speakers on the outside but had headphone speakers inside.

They are by no means great. But they gotta be hitting atleast tier 2 for "usb powered class" speakers due to lack of true base). If "usb powered class" was an actual rating. LOL

These will be an inexpensive way to circumvent very crappy audio on low end tv's by only the tv's usb and 3.5mm thats for sure. Just don't try maxing the volume if its just a standard usb 2.0 port its drawing power from! Better then to use a rated usb 3.0 .9amp port.
Sure, but I just thought that people should know. I didn't order the ones at work but I might have considered these if I was just shopping around and looking at reviews and rating without looking too much into details (which really doesn't happen with me but just an example). I'm pretty sure that's how my boss shopped for these.

Also, I can't imagine this sounding better than the speakers on a TV, even if it is a cheapo TV. I'm out of the loop on TVs though, so maybe it's true and they have gotten really bad.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6731 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
lbckhmerinc wrote:
Opening the box, yes, this is normal.

Not giving you the flashlight... He's probably unaware of the promotion... Or he did it maliciously... no way to know for certain.

When I picked up my speakers, the guy opened the box, finds a flashlight along with the speakers. Asks his co-worker about why the flashlight wasn't noted anywhere, co-workers says "I just told you that they're doing this promotion".

But yeah, call The Source's customer service number, I'm betting they'll send you one.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7797 posts
1203 upvotes
Winnipeg
toomuchpie wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 11:07 pm
Also, I can't imagine this sounding better than the speakers on a TV, even if it is a cheapo TV. I'm out of the loop on TVs though, so maybe it's true and they have gotten really bad.
basically a cheap bedroom style of tv sounds like a cheap clock radio when the volume goes up. You can here the plastic vibrate.
May 28, 2004
609 posts
133 upvotes
BelleVegas
The guy at the store kept my flashlight, going back in to complain!