Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

Headrush Icon Portable Powered Speaker - $59.96

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2019 11:34 pm
Sep 2, 2003
616 posts
147 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Whats with all the negative reviews and the battery life?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1237 posts
1441 upvotes
TORONTO
Neocodex wrote: I am always skeptical on "rebranded" stuff, as a quick google mentions nothing about this company and kenwood.

I have been burned many times by thinking something is rebranded just because it has the same shell. Suppliers often sell their molds and tooling for dirt cheap after the product is done.
And then the next guy can make a knockoff of your rebrand, steal the original design wholesale, and find a way to make it $5 cheaper on the inside, and then hope that people accept that new competitor as something "from the same factory." And then the next guy comes along and tries to make it $10 cheaper somewhere else. To me, it seems naive to accept "what you see is what you get," and that there are standards worldwide without foreigners enforcing them. There are no legal and ethical roadblocks in that race to the bottom.

Not to say this speaker ISN'T identical to the Kenwood. It may very well be, but we'd need a side-by-side tear down for that.
Dec 15, 2017
76 posts
24 upvotes
magicray wrote: Whats with all the negative reviews and the battery life?
I wondered the same thing.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
bough an anker bluetooth speaker on amazon prime daye for $30.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Dec 27, 2015
302 posts
403 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Great write-up OP, even if it sounds promotion-ish! Thank you for doing the research for us :)

However, scrolling through the speakers The Source has available - this comes up:
Edifier MP700 Portable Bluetooth Speaker

So why take chances with HeadRush knock-offs that might deliver on initial quality but have The Source website riddled with medium and long term reliability issues when you can get a high quality brand like Edifier with solid construction for $70 (less 5% with PSP/ESP)?
All the reviews I'm seeing for it online are based on it in the $200 price range and they are very encouraging.

Happy rocking either way! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2340 posts
1389 upvotes
Ottawa
slava86 wrote: Great write-up OP, even if it sounds promotion-ish! Thank you for doing the research for us :)

However, scrolling through the speakers The Source has available - this comes up:
Edifier MP700 Portable Bluetooth Speaker

So why take chances with HeadRush knock-offs that might deliver on initial quality but have The Source website riddled with medium and long term reliability issues when you can get a high quality brand like Edifier with solid construction for $70 (less 5% with PSP/ESP)?
All the reviews I'm seeing for it online are based on it in the $200 price range and they are very encouraging.

Happy rocking either way! :twisted: :twisted:
Went for this one too...
Apr 7, 2007
852 posts
474 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Has anyone listened to this speaker yet (other than OP) and can give their opinion?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2007
5898 posts
2331 upvotes
Toronto
bubble.tea wrote: Incredible write-up.

You'd think this product cures Cancer, interview jitters, social anxiety, migraines, maybe even impotence LOL.
ahahahahahahhaa
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
So, upon further reflection, I *have* decided that I don't in fact need this (and unless somebody can confirm that it actually *is* a rebadged Kenwood, as OP claims, I'm going to lean more towards "Chinese copycat"). Thank goodness for a busy morning at work keeping me from making rash decisions. :P
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1759 posts
1871 upvotes
Toronto
tdracer wrote: Are you saying the Headrush speaker cannot be plugged in and used at the same time? That would be a pretty big design flaw. Maybe the OP can chime in.
I'm concerned about power consumption and killing the battery. Isn't it bad to charge something when it's at full capacity? Like why would you leave your phone plugged in when it's already at 100%? Meanwhile, a real wired speaker needs to be plugged in to work. I prefer that option... I don't like charging anything LOL.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2660 posts
1269 upvotes
Kenwood is not a high end audio manufacturer anyway not sure what's the big deal. They are not as well known as Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer back in the day. If the speaker and name is good why the battery only last for 4 hours. I would expect more from a high end speaker.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
meepsheep wrote: I'm concerned about power consumption and killing the battery. Isn't it bad to charge something when it's at full capacity? Like why would you leave your phone plugged in when it's already at 100%? Meanwhile, a real wired speaker needs to be plugged in to work. I prefer that option... I don't like charging anything LOL.
Obviously you would unplug it when it's full. But if you can't charge it and play music at the same time, then if you accidentally let it die you're SOL.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Your place is a mess OP!
Apr 21, 2009
455 posts
159 upvotes
Tri Cities
I would get this if I can easily replace the crappy battery with a better one. Anyone tried replacing the batteries ?
Feb 19, 2016
131 posts
342 upvotes
GVR
Agree.

It's all my boxes and items for selling on ebay, CL, facebook marketplace, kijiji etc. I don't have a job. I sell full time online from home. I go out looking for deals, then post them and people come pick them up or I ship them. I make about 4-5 times what I paid for things.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 18, 2013
5659 posts
9733 upvotes
BC
wearysky wrote: Obviously you would unplug it when it's full. But if you can't charge it and play music at the same time, then if you accidentally let it die you're SOL.
Agreed, If the battery truly only lasts a few hours and it can't play while charging it's going back to the store.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)