[The Source] Ring Video Doorbell Pro for $239.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2019 8:14 am
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
11 posts
42 upvotes

[The Source] Ring Video Doorbell Pro for $239.99

Ring Doorbell Pro is on sale at The Source for 239.99 and if you are PSP member price is 232.79.
I have been using this for over a year now and this has been my best investment in Home Cameras as Rogers Cameras are really bad.
94 replies
Jan 29, 2005
143 posts
58 upvotes
Chestermere, AB
The biggest concern people have with these Ring Doorbell is the durability and functionality of them in our Canadian winters. When Calgary (Chestermere) went through a deep cold spell with temps dropping between -22 to -33c overnight, my Ring Pro was solid through the whole ordeal. No issues.

I bought mine during the Bestbuy Black friday sale for the same price but it came with a Ring Chime Pro and Echo dot.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7932 posts
770 upvotes
domacheap wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 5:08 pm
The biggest concern people have with these Ring Doorbell is the durability and functionality of them in our Canadian winters. When Calgary (Chestermere) went through a deep cold spell with temps dropping between -22 to -33c overnight, my Ring Pro was solid through the whole ordeal. No issues.

I bought mine during the Bestbuy Black friday sale for the same price but it came with a Ring Chime Pro and Echo dot.
Same here. No issues with the pro and we had some crazy minus 30+ degree weather recently in Toronto.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 4, 2009
209 posts
112 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
no issues with it with the winter temperatures. The only problem is the battery. I bought this about 1.5 years ago and although the doorbell is hardwired, there is actually a battery inside. My ring pro died just last month, completely shut down and wouldnt turn on at all. However the customer service is great, a quick call and i was able to get a replacement. So just a note to anyone buying this, it does have a battery inside and itll probably last 1.5-2 years on average. there are a few reddit posts about this if you do a quick search.
Mar 19, 2002
249 posts
67 upvotes
n7n1c1
sekjai wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 5:31 pm
no issues with it with the winter temperatures. The only problem is the battery. I bought this about 1.5 years ago and although the doorbell is hardwired, there is actually a battery inside. My ring pro died just last month, completely shut down and wouldnt turn on at all. However the customer service is great, a quick call and i was able to get a replacement. So just a note to anyone buying this, it does have a battery inside and itll probably last 1.5-2 years on average. there are a few reddit posts about this if you do a quick search.
Are you referring to some sort of small internal battery ? I'm only aware of ring 2 that has battery + hardwired capabilities.
Heatware Reference Tyger
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4024 posts
699 upvotes
Wat
So the internal battery lasts 1.5-2yrs.. have to replace the whole thing every 1.5-2yr?
Oct 23, 2014
139 posts
69 upvotes
Laval, QC
Wiseman wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 6:09 pm
So the internal battery lasts 1.5-2yrs.. have to replace the whole thing every 1.5-2yr?
Ring pro is hardwired only .
Sep 23, 2008
41 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
nickgritz wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 6:14 pm
It's hardwired, but there's a capacitor in there that have given some people issues. It's somewhat replaceable, but not plug and play, so just beware that after 1.5-2 years, people are seeing failures and having to buy a higher quality capacitor and change it themselves.

**Disclaimer: not a Ring user, but held off purchasing after reading bucketloads of forum posts and guides on how to fix it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will occasionally post useful information; also, nudes.
Oct 23, 2014
139 posts
69 upvotes
Laval, QC
slapthefat wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 6:22 pm
It's hardwired, but there's a capacitor in there that have given some people issues. It's somewhat replaceable, but not plug and play, so just beware that after 1.5-2 years, people are seeing failures and having to buy a higher quality capacitor and change it themselves.

**Disclaimer: not a Ring user, but held off purchasing after reading bucketloads of forum posts and guides on how to fix it.
Good to know . Thanks!
Dec 27, 2007
17285 posts
8335 upvotes
Kitchener
nickgritz wrote:
Yet it has a battery (that Ring docs calls a "power cell") that is needed to get the unit through the voltage drop which happens when the physical chime rings.

It will take the battery a year or two to start acting up (falls from the recommended 4200mv to 4050mv-3900mv), the easiest solution then is to bypass the wired chime (disable it in the app and/or request a power kit V2) and use Ring Chime or any Alexa enabled device as a chime (no physical chime to ring on button presses, no voltage drops, no use for the internal battery), this will buy you another year or two because some say the Ring Pro will eventually go into a boot loop once the internal battery fails to hold charge above 3900mV (didn't personally confirm, and this is something that certainly looks to be addressable via a firmware update if Ring chooses to do so).

As of right now, the Ring support remains top-notch if you express concerns and know what you want (provide screenshots showing how the internal battery voltage deteriorated over time), they will promptly replace it for you
Dec 27, 2007
17285 posts
8335 upvotes
Kitchener
slapthefat wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 6:22 pm
It's hardwired, but there's a capacitor in there that have given some people issues.
Beside the capacitor, there is also a 240mAh 3.7V 0.888Wh LiPo battery.

Jan 26, 2011
402 posts
117 upvotes
Gatineau
Before buying, don't forget the monthly fees. On their website it says $30/year (USD?).
Dec 27, 2007
17285 posts
8335 upvotes
Kitchener
BingoRingo wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 6:46 pm
Before buying, don't forget the monthly fees. On their website it says $30/year (USD?).
That's for cloud storage if you are ok with just notifications (no recordings kept) for whatever you miss then there is no need for the subscription.
Sep 22, 2015
48 posts
43 upvotes
Calgary, AB
domacheap wrote: The biggest concern people have with these Ring Doorbell is the durability and functionality of them in our Canadian winters. When Calgary (Chestermere) went through a deep cold spell with temps dropping between -22 to -33c overnight, my Ring Pro was solid through the whole ordeal. No issues.

Fellow Chestermerian!!!

Same for me. I love this doorbell.

Now I’m installing the floodlight one. Let’s see how that goes.
Feb 15, 2019
42 posts
44 upvotes
nickgritz wrote:
With an internal battery that dies after a couple of years

Ring pro requires hardwiring but still needs and does have an internal non replaceable battery