Hot Deals

[The Source] Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T580NZKAXAC 10.1” Tablet with 1.6GHz Octa-Core Processor, 16GB Storage - Black - Refurbished

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2004 posts
207 upvotes

[The Source] Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T580NZKAXAC 10.1” Tablet with 1.6GHz Octa-Core Processor, 16GB Storage - Black - Refurbished

The Source has restocked the Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T580NZKAXAC 10.1” Tablet with 1.6GHz Octa-Core Processor, 16GB Storage & Android 6.0 - Black - Refurbished for $199.98

If you were to combine this with the $25 off email sign up bonus, it will bring the price to $174.98 or $197.73 tax in delivered to your door.
17 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2004 posts
207 upvotes
Wow. That was fast 2 mins after posting, and it went OOS, power of RFD.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1399 posts
262 upvotes
Montreal
I assume the $25 signup bonus is a 1-time thing?
I don't see any indications of $25 on their homepage. Do I just enter my email in the newsletter section and receive a coupon?

Edit: nevermind, found the page: https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/subscribe
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1581 posts
652 upvotes
Vancouver
As phones are getting bigger and bigger (5.7-6" are typical), I don't quite understand why Samsung can still sell these Tab A and E when they are not even that good (processor, display, OS). I was a fan of Android tablet up to the Nexus 7 2013 and looks like no one is bothered making a tablet that has FHD and stable OS support. Everything else becomes disposable.

I was looking at the Tab S2 and shocked to see it costs more than my phone, which has better spec. I ended up getting an iPad. Pensive Face
Apr 18, 2017
13 posts
5 upvotes
Tablets generally have been more expensive than a budget phone ( since all Samsung mid-high range cost more than the S2). Either way, for the cost of the S2 in not entirely sure why you would spend more on an iPad.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6347 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
Still use my Tab S 10.5 for web browsing and watching videos. Have my eye on a Ipad Pro 10.5 but got spoiled by apps like Terrarium and Showbox.
Jun 19, 2011
73 posts
85 upvotes
WINNIPEG
George1616 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 9:44 am
Edit - it is a refurb but the source gives the full manufacturers warranty through their stores.
Per their site: https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/returnsExchanges - "Refurbished products, open box, scratch and dent Within 30 days of purchase."

E: I now see that this is returns and exchanges only, mentions nothing about warranty so ignore me!
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1581 posts
652 upvotes
Vancouver
User131439 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 10:48 am
Tablets generally have been more expensive than a budget phone ( since all Samsung mid-high range cost more than the S2). Either way, for the cost of the S2 in not entirely sure why you would spend more on an iPad.
These days, many high-end premium phones could be had under $500 if you know where to look. I am simply wanting a decently spec'ed tablet with a FHD or better display at 7" to 8" under $400 like the Nexus 7, it seems this is easier to achieve with a phone than a tablet these days.

Since I am still using my Nexus 7 2013 (Linerage 14.1) and using the same apps on both my iPad Air 2 and Mini, I am sorry to say Android is just plain annoying. Apps feel like they are just blown up on a larger display for people with eye issues. This is where I started to feel Android is lacking behind Apple, where Apple has strict UI requirement for iPad and iPhone apps.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1581 posts
652 upvotes
Vancouver
frogger wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 11:16 am
Still use my Tab S 10.5 for web browsing and watching videos. Have my eye on a Ipad Pro 10.5 but got spoiled by apps like Terrarium and Showbox.
I work in an 90% Apple environment, and could get my hands on most Apple products. If you ever need to use apps that will make use of the pencil, as much as I hate that Apple pencil, it's a MUST have. It works far more natural than my Surface Pro 4 pen.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2004 posts
207 upvotes
jdougie wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 11:30 am
Per their site: https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/returnsExchanges - "Refurbished products, open box, scratch and dent Within 30 days of purchase."

E: I now see that this is returns and exchanges only, mentions nothing about warranty so ignore me!
If you go to the product description page, it does say 12 months warranty.

Though, from experience, you'll have to bring it to one of The Source store, and they will send it to their repair center in Toronto for services.
Sep 19, 2004
574 posts
27 upvotes
I have this from last time. If you buy it and wifi doesn't work. Review my post on updating it to Android 7.0 and it'll work right after. Its a bit of a pain but yea really good tablet for the price afterwards.

Having said that. It kinda sucks too cuz you can't get Lineage OS on it in the future when Samsung abandons it and no longer updates.

Yeah it's simple just load Smart Switch
Smart Switch recovery and device initialization.
Enter model number IN CAPITALS SM-T580 then enter your serial number. It'll do its thing
Boot to download mode. I think it's home volume up? It'll say on screen.
Then just let it download the firmware
Wait it out.. it takes a while ignore the connect your device message in the background.

Hope that helps. Don't do it from a Mac running latest os
I had to use a Windows 7 box
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2004 posts
207 upvotes
bluespecv wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 12:30 pm
I have this from last time. If you buy it and wifi doesn't work. Review my post on updating it to Android 7.0 and it'll work right after. Its a bit of a pain but yea really good tablet for the price afterwards.

Having said that. It kinda sucks too cuz you can't get Lineage OS on it in the future when Samsung abandons it and no longer updates.
In terms of getting value, I think the HP Touchpad is probably the hands down winner. It is 6 years old, but because of Lineage, owners can upgraded it to run Nougat. Pretty amazing.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3085 posts
494 upvotes
Vancouver
Never will my wallet open again for a HP product....

Thanks for the post on the Samsungs.
Oct 7, 2007
174 posts
41 upvotes
Rider Nation
darn both are dead deals. My SM T520 bit the dust this week