Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 16, 2014
6 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

theBay.ca Cancelled Order - Resolution?

I came across this site after searching for experiences with The Bay cancelled orders. I placed an order last week for a bunch of things (housewares, clothes for kids etc.) using the VIP10 coupon that I received by email. I paid for the other with Gift Cards and my CC. Today I received a cancellation email for the entire order even though everything is still in stock. I called CS and they did not know why it was cancelled and said that a Supervisor would call me within 1-2 days. The value on the GCs have not been returned so I can't "re-place" the order and the coupon is no good anymore anyways. Has anyone had any luck getting them to honour a coupon if there was no reason for the cancellation?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1132 posts
1129 upvotes
The bay has the worst CS. I honestly dont know how they are still in business.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1050 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto, ON
maxx15 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2014 6:23 pm
I came across this site after searching for experiences with The Bay cancelled orders. I placed an order last week for a bunch of things (housewares, clothes for kids etc.) using the VIP10 coupon that I received by email. I paid for the other with Gift Cards and my CC. Today I received a cancellation email for the entire order even though everything is still in stock. I called CS and they did not know why it was cancelled and said that a Supervisor would call me within 1-2 days. The value on the GCs have not been returned so I can't "re-place" the order and the coupon is no good anymore anyways. Has anyone had any luck getting them to honour a coupon if there was no reason for the cancellation?
Did you get a response from a supervisor? I ordered a pasta roller set during their One Day sale on Nov 18. It just got cancelled but no idea why...it's still showing in stock.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2014
6 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
They didn't know why my order was cancelled and ended up sending me a new GC to replace the one I used online. They indicated that they noted my file to honour the sale price when my GCs arrive so that I could call in and re-place the order - I will let you know what happens.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1050 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So I never got a response from CS regarding my cancelled order other than their generic "Thank you for submitting your email. We will answer your email within 48 hours. Thank you for your patience as we greatly appreciate your business." It's well past their 48 hour SLA but considering the poor experience I'm hearing from other customers, I'd rather just buy elsewhere than follow up with the Bay. Hope your experience is better!
Aug 10, 2004
463 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
the exact same thing just happened to me... and i'm very disappointed in Bay.

Order placed on Dec 1, order cancelled on Dec 6, same thing as OP, no explanation. I emailed the "contact us" with my order # and got the generic 48 hour response crap and never heard back.

Finally called them on Dec 12. the first minion of a CS on the phone said it was out of stock so it was cancelled. i complained and said no one responded to my email and it should have just been indicated on the cancellation email that it's out of stock.
so i asked her to check stock and she said it's in STOCK! WOW! okay, so i said recover my order please. (Original order was $108+ free shipping + tax = $122). She said the current sale price was $250. I'm like, no way... she goes and talks to the manager, comes back and says, the manager can give you 15% off and free shipping... i did the math, and i'm like, no way, you're asking me to pay twice as much now? free shipping?? i ALREADY GOT THAT!

pushed the minion out of the way and spoke with the manager. manager looks into my account and said the problem was in the address when i placed the online order. shipping and billing address were different but somehow the system glitched and duplicated the shipping address as the billing address. So within 5 mins with the manager, she fixes it, recovers my order for the same sale price from my original order and says i should get an email with tracking when it's shipped, likely Monday or Tuesday of this week. STUPID MINION CS, never deal with them. Wasted like 20 mins on the phone with her.

Seeing as it's Wed now and I still haven't received tracking email, I tried to trace my order online, OBVIOUSLY it can't find my order... what makes me think the Bay system is that good?? So i had to call... again.... the awesome phone system asked me to input my 10-digit order number, then cuts me off halfway and says, sorry, i don't understand the number. Then it asked me instead for a 10-digit phone number, of course, it cuts me off halfway through that too. FINALLY, i get it to transfer me to an agent. 20 mins later, an agent with a lot of attitude comes on the phone and tells me to expect it on Friday. So I asked her if i can get tracking cause that's what the person said i would get.. blah blah blah.. she proceeds to give me a lot of attitude and keeps cutting me off as I'm talking. At this point I'm fed up with her, so i snapped and said, please don't cut me off when i'm talking, i'm trying to explain to you what's going on..... SHE HUNG UP ON ME.

Infuriated, I called back, spent another 20 mins on the phone WAITING.... and finally got someone, asked for the manager right away, told her the whole situation. Unfortunately they can't see on my account who accessed it last.. and the person never gave me her name. So they're going to go back to IT and see if they can trace the call and give the person some "coaching." I asked specifically to be notified when this has happened. I highly doubt it will happen.

Bottom line, I'M DONE WITH THE BAY. If you order got cancelled, call them... make sure you speak with someone smart, and not the minion that first comes on the phone. Just deal with the managers / supervisors otherwise you're not getting anywhere or they might tell you to pay twice as much for your order. Good luck with that!
Banned
Feb 9, 2011
1393 posts
930 upvotes
Edmonton
jc427 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 9:46 am
.... the first minion of a CS on the phone said ....
....pushed the minion out of the way and spoke with the manager....
....At this point I'm fed up with her, so i snapped and said, please don't cut me off when i'm talking, i'm trying to explain to you what's going on..... SHE HUNG UP ON ME....
While I wholeheartedly agree that the CS at the Bay is lackluster (they also said they would contact me back when they didn't and price match an item, which they didn't), I highly doubt you were the friendly human you thought you were.

Considering you call any first line CS a "minion" right off the bat, your demeanor on the phone was probably no different. You project yourself as the same people who treat receptionists, nurses, assistants of any sort, etc. with an utter lack of respect.

You mentioned you "snapped", yet you somehow said "please". I'll just leave that here.

Lastly, CSRs from any company are trained to pick up the phone and respond with something along the lines of " Hello, this is [name] with [company], how can I help you today? "
You likely just missed the person's name yourself. (But no, you won't get a call whether The Bay did know who answered the call or not lol).
Aug 10, 2004
463 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
asdfvtn wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 10:47 am
While I wholeheartedly agree that the CS at the Bay is lackluster (they also said they would contact me back when they didn't and price match an item, which they didn't), I highly doubt you were the friendly human you thought you were.

Considering you call any first line CS a "minion" right off the bat, your demeanor on the phone was probably no different. You project yourself as the same people who treat receptionists, nurses, assistants of any sort, etc. with an utter lack of respect.

You mentioned you "snapped", yet you somehow said "please". I'll just leave that here.

Lastly, CSRs from any company are trained to pick up the phone and respond with something along the lines of " Hello, this is [name] with [company], how can I help you today? "
You likely just missed the person's name yourself. (But no, you won't get a call whether The Bay did know who answered the call or not lol).

I definitely have to disagree with you - I was very courteous on the phone. I used to be in CSR, I know what it's like to do what they do so I was very nice and explained my situation. When the other person half asses and answer to you and *sighs* at you and slurs and doesn't want to speak with you after you've spent 20 mins on hold trying to speak with them, that's just rude.

This is speaking after the fact - clearly the first CSR that I spoke with was useless... she gave me totally wrong information and tried to asked me to pay twice as much for the same product. In what way was she helpful? I was still very nice on the phone, she went to talk to her manager and explained my situation and ended up asking for a discount for me. I'd like to think she saw my frustration but she just wasn't helpful.

I am not the type to generalize with receptionists, nurses, assistants or whatever you want to say. I work very well with ppl and I don't generalize like you do. Like I said, I've been in CSR, I've been there. I don't call ppl clerks or anything like that, they are all colleagues of mine.

Honestly, you weren't there... you have no idea what she did. She sighed at me on the phone and had this very lazy-hazy attitude and she gave me a random answer just to get me off the phone. she told me i should expect my order on Friday. I aksed her for tracking info and that's when she started cutting me off and didn't want to speak with me - it's because the product wasn't even shipped yet!! blatantly LYING to me. So i snapped at her. Don't judge me when I snap. Like i said, I've been there before... if you've never been there, you don't know what they go through, and if anything, she was probably venting on me on whatever last customer she dealt with. I'm not usually like this, but if you piss me off enough, I will speak up for myself.

and yes, you're right, the policy is to tell ppl their name. I can guarantee you, 100%... they DID NOT say that. Just because it's company policy does not mean they actually did that. You can wait on the phone for 20 mins with bay an experiment yourself how many times the ppl tell you their names.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11182 posts
4403 upvotes
Toronto
The Bay website is useless.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
asdfvtn wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 10:47 am

Wow, with all these details, opinions and assumptions it sounds like you were either at the other end of the phone or sitting on OP's couch listening.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Oct 11, 2012
72 posts
41 upvotes
Ontario
Chiming in to also say The Bay is the worst at customer service.

I emailed them twice and never received a response back. I messaged them on facebook and finally got the email address of an individual CSR. (pm if you want it). It took one month from my first email to receive some sort of resolution. Only after highlighting how patient I have been was I eventually offered a $25 gc as appeasement.

My issue: My orders are delayed when I use my HBC credit card. I tested this by ordering the same item at the same time with my HBC cc and my regular cc. Sure enough, it took 4 days longer with my HBC cc. One time it took so long to process that the item was out of stock by the time the order was released. It turns out my HBC cc orders are flagged b/c once I used a different email address.

Lastly, double check your HBC reward points. I noticed my 4k bonus points for a product purchased at The Bay were removed when I returned a different item to Home Outfitters. I called and the CSR said I have to go back to Home Outfitters b/c they were the ones who removed the bonus points (how would Home Outfitters know about the points for a product purchased at The Bay?!) When I said I didn't want to go into the store and asked to speak with a supervisor, not surprisingly, she hung up.

Nothing is easy with Hudson's Bay.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
2348 posts
129 upvotes
Brampton
why doesn't the ceo address this problem instead of taking the time to do radio ads? hire a voice actor to do the ads and take care of your business you idiot
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I love the bay..best store and great online shopping..easily best retailer in Canada behind Costco
Aug 27, 2010
591 posts
111 upvotes
When calling CS, press the French option. You will get a bilingual rep. They are so much better than the ones from the States that the Bay uses (I think that's from the Lord & Taylor merger?). I have had my orders cancelled due to "out of stock", but it's still in stock online, and then they want me to reorder it at a higher price. No thanks.
Banned
Jun 14, 2007
1674 posts
409 upvotes
Junerose wrote:
Dec 18th, 2014 4:27 am
When calling CS, press the French option. You will get a bilingual rep. They are so much better than the ones from the States that the Bay uses (I think that's from the Lord & Taylor merger?). I have had my orders cancelled due to "out of stock", but it's still in stock online, and then they want me to reorder it at a higher price. No thanks.
interesting to know...
my order at Walmart cancelled, order at Sears cancelled, order at Home Depot cancelled...
Now I'm running out of the places to shop :( ...