Art and Photography

Is there any digital camera close to DSLR quality or replacement?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2008 7:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2879 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
gmark2000 wrote: SENSEI, your initial reply implied that G9s were to be had everywhere and anywhere for under $400.

The fact is, no legitimate reseller is selling below $450 right now. Quite often these "brand new" G9s appearing on eBay or BST are stolen goods or gray market/black market dealers. The warranty may be intact but your bill of sale is not from an "authorized dealer". We are talking about new merchandise, not open boxed, "retail rental" or buyer remorse quick sales.

Your initial reply was practically boastful, in the new context you've provided.

And boasting your credentials of joining RFD six years ago hardly gives you laurels over the five year members.
I should've been more clear with my original post regarding the details to the location of this pricing.

Some people are still messaging me about these BST forums as some are truly interested in not paying full retail. For those that were looking for New Merchandise from a retail store, it wasn't my intention to mis-direct you.

The point I brought up about the year I joined, was to merely state that although I joined early, I do not frequent the boards as much as others with higher post counts. This was an attempt to explain why my response to my original post had such a delay. It appeared that some were discrediting me because I didn't explain my response within an alloted time frame. There was no other intention behind it.

You are correct, even on the BST forums that I buy from, you CAN get full warranty, and you CAN get receipts from legit authorized dealers. But in these cases they are most likely "buyers remorse" as you said. But you do no forfeit any existing warranty from buying from here. You just need to be careful and do your research before making such a purchase, just as you would anywhere online.

Again, my intention wasn't to misdirect anyone. Even though it may have come across as boastful, I am not hiding where I got these prices...in fact I want to openly share where others can get great deals and beat the ridiculous taxes and over pricing of camera gear in Canada compared to the US.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
SENSEI wrote: I should've been more clear with my original post regarding the details to the location of this pricing.

Some people are still messaging me about these BST forums as some are truly interested in not paying full retail. For those that were looking for New Merchandise from a retail store, it wasn't my intention to mis-direct you.

The point I brought up about the year I joined, was to merely state that although I joined early, I do not frequent the boards as much as others with higher post counts. This was an attempt to explain why my response to my original post had such a delay. It appeared that some were discrediting me because I didn't explain my response within an alloted time frame. There was no other intention behind it.

You are correct, even on the BST forums that I buy from, you CAN get full warranty, and you CAN get receipts from legit authorized dealers. But in these cases they are most likely "buyers remorse" as you said. But you do no forfeit any existing warranty from buying from here. You just need to be careful and do your research before making such a purchase, just as you would anywhere online.
If these are the very people that have buyers remose, it's likely they have tried out the product. Now, I know some people will have a problem with that if they're trying to buy a "new" camera.
Again, my intention wasn't to misdirect anyone. Even though it may have come across as boastful, I am not hiding where I got these prices...in fact I want to openly share where others can get great deals and beat the ridiculous taxes and over pricing of camera gear in Canada compared to the US.
I'm not accusing you of any bad intentions, but if you are as transparent as you claim to be, then surely you would have posted this list of yours by now.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
gmark2000 wrote: SENSEI, your initial reply implied that G9s were to be had everywhere and anywhere for under $400.

The fact is, no legitimate reseller is selling below $450 right now. Quite often these "brand new" G9s appearing on eBay or BST are stolen goods or gray market/black market dealers. The warranty may be intact but your bill of sale is not from an "authorized dealer". We are talking about new merchandise, not open boxed, "retail rental" or buyer remorse quick sales.

Your initial reply was practically boastful, in the new context you've provided.

And boasting your credentials of joining RFD six years ago hardly gives you laurels over the five year members.
I think you said it a lot more eloquently than me.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2879 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
I did...

Post #34
[QUOTE]
If you care to take a look on any of the BST boards on POTN, FM, DGRIN, photo.net, weddingphotofoum.com, you will see G9 (new and light used) but with warranty selling for under $400 all the time.[/QUOTE]

Some people have already asked my for the full websites through PM.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum is a site specifically for Canon users. You must register to see the posts.

www.fredmiranda.com Most people know about this for reviews. This site now charges for people to post their on the Sell/Buy forum, this is another step to ensure that they are registered and to minimize the fraud on the boards.

www.dgrin.com The backend forums for the SMUGMUG picture sharing site users. You must register to see the posts.

www.photo.net You will find the BST under Equipment - Classifides

http://www.weddingfotoforum.com You must have a professional wedding website and be cleared by the adminitrators before you can see or post on the forums here.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
SENSEI wrote: I did...

Post #34

Some people have already asked my for the full websites through PM.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum is a site specifically for Canon users. You must register to see the posts.

www.fredmiranda.com Most people know about this for reviews. This site now charges for people to post their on the Sell/Buy forum, this is another step to ensure that they are registered and to minimize the fraud on the boards.

www.dgrin.com The backend forums for the SMUGMUG picture sharing site users. You must register to see the posts.

www.photo.net You will find the BST under Equipment - Classifides

http://www.weddingfotoforum.com You must have a professional wedding website and be cleared by the adminitrators before you can see or post on the forums here.

Oops, guess I missed it or I forgot about it.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Ok ok...so, in the end, we're not talking about a brand new G9 for less than $400. We're talking about opened, used equipment that you're buying that may or may not have a warranty and that may or may not have a receipt.

Frankly, in that situation, if you're paying anything above $400 then you're being gouged. There are no savings here; it's the same thing as if I'd purchased an LCD monitor and didn't like it so I am going to sell it used to someone else for 20% off. $400 is barely a reasonable price given that you have to add in the cost of shipping and you're undertaking a potentially risky transaction.

The best price I've seen for a G9 (new) was from Best Buy's sale a couple of weeks back at $479.99.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2879 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
IronMac wrote: Ok ok...so, in the end, we're not talking about a brand new G9 for less than $400. We're talking about opened, used equipment that you're buying that may or may not have a warranty and that may or may not have a receipt.

Frankly, in that situation, if you're paying anything above $400 then you're being gouged. There are no savings here; it's the same thing as if I'd purchased an LCD monitor and didn't like it so I am going to sell it used to someone else for 20% off. $400 is barely a reasonable price given that you have to add in the cost of shipping and you're undertaking a potentially risky transaction.

The best price I've seen for a G9 (new) was from Best Buy's sale a couple of weeks back at $479.99.
I agree this may not be for all people.

I would like to add that just because you are buying from a retail store, doesn't mean you are getting a brand new box either. Even through it's illegal, there are many, many stores that will re-shelf a box that was returned in brand new condition.

Case and point, friend and I were at Henry's returning a 20D accessories kit which included grip, batt and bag. We were returning after 12 days. Henry's policy is 14 day refund. We had opened it, tried it and after a weeks worth of shooting, he decided the grip wasn't something he wanted.

We brought it back to the store told this story "exactly" as I told. So they knew it was open, knew it was tested...another lady at the counter was looking for the exact same box. They were sold out. Our guy took the box right out of my friends hands slid is across the counter to the lady and said, here you go, brand new "today is your lucky day". :-0 They didn't even open it to see if it was all there...

If you're careful enough, you will be safe. Like I said I was able to get my G9 for $400US shipped to my door, taxes/handling included (at the time CAD on PAR with US). The unit was like brand new with orig receipt from Amazon.

This method of shopping isn't for everyone for sure. But if you're patient and know what you are looking for, it really is a means to save money. Through the years, I've even bought bags and equipment, didn't like it, and the buyers were willing to take it back, and they paid for shipping.

The guys on these boards are mostly pros with surplus equipment that their business has bought. They turn around and sell for a loss knowing they can write it off either way. Others are people who just like to upgrade equipment. They change lenses every 2-4 months and baby their equipment. Alot of them are members of CPS and will calibrate, clean sensor etc...just before sending it to you and include work order.

The communities I've listed are pretty tight and you are alot less likely to get scammed. But, to each their own. Those that are looking for great deals now know where else to look.

If you are the type that enjoys opening a sealed box or carrying a product out of the store, this isn't for you. I know, I used to be like that way as well...
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
IronMac wrote: Ok ok...so, in the end, we're not talking about a brand new G9 for less than $400. We're talking about opened, used equipment that you're buying that may or may not have a warranty and that may or may not have a receipt.

Accordng to SENSEI, it's brand new, but who knows.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
SENSEI wrote: I would like to add that just because you are buying from a retail store, doesn't mean you are getting a brand new box either. Even through it's illegal, there are many, many stores that will re-shelf a box that was returned in brand new condition.

Case and point, friend and I were at Henry's returning a 20D accessories kit which included grip, batt and bag. We were returning after 12 days. Henry's policy is 14 day refund. We had opened it, tried it and after a weeks worth of shooting, he decided the grip wasn't something he wanted.

We brought it back to the store told this story "exactly" as I told. So they knew it was open, knew it was tested...another lady at the counter was looking for the exact same box. They were sold out. Our guy took the box right out of my friends hands slid is across the counter to the lady and said, here you go, brand new "today is your lucky day". :-0 They didn't even open it to see if it was all there...
I know what you mean about Henrys. I was looking at a Camera there and before I bought it, I wanted to check the box out (sales guy said it was brand new and never opened). When I opened the box, the packing around the camera did not look right (creases on the bag in the opposite direction of the folding). On top of it, the LCD had fingerprints on it (not mine) and some scuff marks.

I turned the camera to the sales guy and asked "you sure this is brand new?" and pointed out the condition of the camera. The guys face turned redder then the colours on the RFD
banner :D .

Bottom line: Wherever you go, open the item and check the contents carefully BEFORE paying as you never know who has been looking at it before.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2006
1158 posts
465 upvotes
which Henry's location was this and what camera was it ?

Supposedly Henry's do not sell returned/used items at their retail stores. Anything that is a demo/display/returned is supposed to be sent to the their outlet location for sale (well that's what the staff at the outlet store say when I ask them where all their stuff comes from).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)