• Dec 17th, 2018 1:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3123 posts
649 upvotes

Are there any green frying pans?

I use stainless steel but I find food and eggs to stick no matter much oil I put into it. Is there a green and safe ones to use that is similar to teflon?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2880 posts
595 upvotes
Oshawa
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 11:31 am
I use stainless steel but I find food and eggs to stick no matter much oil I put into it. Is there a green and safe ones to use that is similar to teflon?
There is nothing safe with frying. What you are looking for is probably something more "healthy" ...

NOPE. None out there.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1281 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have some well-seasoned cast iron woks that'd fit the bill. You can do the same with any cast iron pan provide you season them (involves polymerising very thin layers of suitable oil).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3123 posts
649 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 6:08 pm
I have some well-seasoned cast iron woks that'd fit the bill. You can do the same with any cast iron pan provide you season them (involves polymerising very thin layers of suitable oil).
But it'll be "dirty". I don't know about having food and bacteria growing on the pan.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1281 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 7:00 pm
But it'll be "dirty". I don't know about having food and bacteria growing on the pan.
There's no food left. You clean it with hot water (no soap/detergent). Cast iron cookware has been used by humanity for hundreds of years if not thousands.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Feb 11, 2009
162 posts
29 upvotes
gvr
I have a cast iron and a carbon steel pan. Both are OK non-stick with some oil. I use them for pancakes and fry eggs. I still haven't got one that I can make thin egg layers to make things like tamago. (Japanese egg pancakes)

You can clean them with hot water and a stiff brush. Then heat up and burn off any extra water (or if any food bits that you missed) and re-coat it with a thin layer of oil.
Dec 19, 2015
492 posts
256 upvotes
Calgary, AB
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 7:00 pm
Any bacteria will be killed when you heat the pan to several hundred degrees.

Same as a BBQ grate.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1565 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
I bought the GreenPan Lima ceramic pans on Amazon and they are amazing. Non-stick and pretty light weight. I'm not sure how "green" they are or how long they'll last, but they've treated me well.
May 17, 2007
286 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
Get yourself a good cast iron
May 12, 2009
233 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I think when it comes to frying pans cast iron is the best choice. Enameled are good, however, enamel may crack over time. I've inherited one and it's over 60 years old. This summer I discovered by accident that one can clean the cast iron pan on a very hot barbecue. It burned off the outside and inside of the pan and all the grime built up over time. All I had to do is rinse it off and season the inside. it still looks good, and probably lighter.
Smiling Face With Open MouthSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1109 posts
516 upvotes
Ottawa
Another vote for cast iron, in particular one you buy second hand. It's often pretty easy to find discarded rusted ones, and a little bit of elbow grease cleaning them, then restoring the polymerized surface/seasoning.

I say this since in my opinion the most "anti-green" thing you can do, pan-wise, is get something that doesn't last, that you discard in a couple of years since through poor construction or abuse the coating is flaking off and the last thing anyone wants to do is take chances on it. But cast iron pans are indestructible, essentially, so the incremental environmental cost of using one for some years or decades is very little.

Editing to add: As others have said, if you clean it and heat it properly, it won't be encrusted with food, and any bacterium that happens to land on it will be incinerated soon.
May 12, 2009
233 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Smiling Face With SunglassesSpeaking of discarded frying pans. Last year I was in Kensington Market with friends, as we walked along the street there was a lot of garbage lining the sidewalk. Suddenly I noticed a cast iron pan leaning against a pile. I picked it up, it was a Wagner cast iron. And is it ever good, even better than the one I've used for eternity. It even has instructions on the back on how to maintain it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)