Shopping Discussion

Is there any real bargain hunters here? (Value Village, Thrift stores)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2015 7:28 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 1, 2004
162 posts
42 upvotes
Bordello wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 5:23 pm
You're saying that you actually make multiple visits to one VV every day? Wow. I have no words.

Can't say I disagree with your choice in username.
There is 5 local VV in my area. I visit one or two each day.
Jun 7, 2006
777 posts
6 upvotes
Most thrift stores in my experience, do not smell. Only Scarborough V.V. and Sally Ann on St. Clair Av in Toronto do smell like dead people. I bought some clothes at thrift stores and I usually put them into my washing machine before wearing them.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1439 posts
360 upvotes
Weirdguy wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 10:06 pm
There is 5 local VV in my area. I visit one or two each day.
out of curiosity how much time per day do you think you put into digging through these thift stores? I would imagine it's like minimum an hour per place - no?
Banned
Nov 3, 2012
25 posts
NORTH YORK
boyoflondon wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 9:46 pm
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable buying something second hand if I am able to buy something in a regular store. It is not for everyone although I know people who regularly shop there and find some great stuff, even new with tags sometimes.
Agree,and I never buy anything second hand.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
7980 posts
1182 upvotes
London
Hard_Taco wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:24 am
Most thrift stores in my experience, do not smell.
You're either lucky, or have a cold.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3228 posts
710 upvotes
daikman wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:37 am
out of curiosity how much time per day do you think you put into digging through these thift stores? I would imagine it's like minimum an hour per place - no?
Read his post ...

I think he is one of those guys who goes to these places for a living, or at least a side job.

Nothing wrong with it ... except items don't really go to someone who wants them. They go to someone who buys them in order to make a living.

Watch, next year on CBC they will have a Canadian version of "Storage Wars" called "Salvation Tales" where people explain there routines and TV producers create false drama to boost ratings.

Once this happens, I expect prices in Thrift stores to rise quickly as more and more people embrace the way of life.

I also expect Soup Kitchens will see their numbers rise as obviously you plan your routine on where the best grub (for FREE!) is on that day. Trust me, these guys will tell you the reality of how they roll and get free meals.

If you live this life, you should be praying daily that TV producers do not see the value in creating the TV show. If they do, the number of yuppies will increase 100 fold and your ability to create a profit will be made extinct.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1377 posts
170 upvotes
AB
I've started to shop around in them more, money being tight this year. I will say I prefer not to buy clothes I hope that doesn't sound stuckup. And as a guy I hate clothes shopping to begin with, especially being tall and I struggle to find stuff that ever fits anyway. I'd have no problem with jeans, but shirts nah I'd pass.

I have bought kitchenware from thrift stores though, and furniture, even my living room couch set. I wouldn't typically buy a couch set but these were fantastic, and only 200 bucks for both. I only got them because I had a truck and was able to take them out immediately.

What I like the store for is getting hardwood furniture. Given the weight of hardwood it isn't practical to mass-retail. Stay away from used Ikea-type stuff though unless you get it at massive markdown off retail.

And yes I love looking around the "misc" item areas. I found a nice egg poacher for 50 cents, and its nice paying no tax on thrift goods too.
Jul 1, 2012
224 posts
1196 upvotes
The value of thrifting really depends on what kind of stock the stores have in the area.

Over here, I see way too many old and overpriced items in the thrift shops. I even saw ratty children's sneakers that looked like they were going to fall apart being sold at Value Village. For me, it makes a lot more sense to buy things new.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9354 posts
2771 upvotes
Ottawa
There is a thrift shop close to my office and I try to stop by at least once a week. I mainly look for exercise equipment, esp. free weights (cast iron) and also keep an eye out for any coins/stamps collections that they may have (either via auction or available to buy outright).

Hunting for treasure is part of the fun and i feel great saving money while putting second-hand items to good use again.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5201 posts
727 upvotes
Scarbs
Too bad Macklemore ruined thrift shops
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
My sister and her husband love Value Village. They used to buy all the kids clothes there when they were little. I found they could do just as well at Sears Outlet without having to buy used clothing. I could never bring myself to wear another persons clothing. I'm not stuck up, just have germ issues. I also don't care for designer names that people like to brag about finding at thrift stores. I have purchased skirts for $5 at Sears Outlet and then saw the same ones for $40 in a regular Sears store. I have bought leather winter boots there for $10 that were selling for $150 in their catalogue. I have purchased so many things there. You can find some dirt cheap stuff especially when they have time limited additional discounts.
Nov 1, 2004
162 posts
42 upvotes
daikman wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:37 am
Just noticed someone asked me a question 3 months ago.

I spend a max of 20min in a VV. Longer if there is a line at the cashier and I'm buying something. I mostly look for electronics, games and toys.

I mainly buy for myself and I don't spend hundred of dollars each week there. Some weeks I won't even buy anything and some maybe I'll spend 40$.

Last week, I bought 10 anime DVDs , 8 of them being from a series I wanted to complete (they were the last 8 of a set of 24). After buying the first 14 at retail prices (yes, I still miss 2) years ago, paying 4$ each was a good deal for me.

If I find stuff that is valuable and by that I'm talking huge margin like 4-5 times the asking price, then I may buy it and sell it. I sold an 8$ book for 150$. A 3$ board game for 45$. Do I find these often ? Nope, not at all.
Jan 21, 2013
29 posts
3 upvotes
i enjoy shopping there....alot of good finds. but i refuse to buy bedding or stuffed animals. in fact i was there today to drop off a donation..i saw a purse i liked but it was $17.99 wht?? thier prices are getting abit crazy.
goodwill is cheaper.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
76 upvotes
Their used crap is more expensive than buying new stuff on sale. Its smelly garbage and needs to be burned and the facility sterilized . disgusting.
× < >