• Jan 25th, 2022 11:05 am
Tags:
None
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes

Is there an app equivalent to Fongo?

Merry xmas to all,

I am looking for an equivalent app to Fongo, in the sense that you get assigned a phone number that can make and receive calls to any phone and make and receive sms.

I am working up north in a fly-in-fly-out remote site with no cellular coverage. We only have wifi but certain ports are blocked by IT. Fongo only works half, I can receive text but I cannot send text. Apps like Skype, whatsapp work here but those don't get assigned a real phone number. I want to be able to text someone who is using a regular cell phone with no internet access. Maybe with a different app, the ports are different and my text will work both ways.

thanks
27 replies
Nov 27, 2013
309 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nextplus should do.
Wireless: Koodo $60/10gb, Koodo $35/5gb, PM $23/1gb, PM $13/250mb, Freedom $2/day PYW
Internet: EBOX || Home: OBI, FPL, GV || Hosting: RFD Directhosting
Oneplus One (15)||Lumia 710 (12)||LG Gossip (10)||LG Chocolate (07)
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
NextPlus, TextNow, TextMe all provide a # for texting & calling.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
manteiv wrote: Fongo only works half, I can receive text but I cannot send text.
I assume you knew that you need to subscribe in order to be able to send texts using Fongo. After that, you can send and receive texts to your heart's content.
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: I assume you knew that you need to subscribe in order to be able to send texts using Fongo. After that, you can send and receive texts to your heart's content.
yes I am paying Fongo a SMS plan. My SMS via Fongo works both ways when I am home down south but up here, it only works for incoming text, the outgoing text port is blocked.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
manteiv wrote: yes I am paying Fongo a SMS plan. My SMS via Fongo works both ways when I am home down south but up here, it only works for incoming text, the outgoing text port is blocked.
Try textnow!
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes
Gee wrote: Why don't you use something like Hangouts? BBM?

Why do you need a phone number?
I need a phone number because some of my family members only have the voice and text plan on their mobiles, they don't have internet. They will be able to send me SMS.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
4285 posts
2287 upvotes
BC
manteiv wrote: I need a phone number because some of my family members only have the voice and text plan on their mobiles, they don't have internet. They will be able to send me SMS.
I have this same issue with family and use NextPlus. There are some limitations but give it a shot.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
Gee wrote: Why don't you use something like Hangouts? BBM?

Why do you need a phone number?
Google closed some holes with non Americans getting google voice numbers. It used to be that you can sign up with apps like vox ox, dingtone and get a free forwarding number to use for setting up a google voice number. That doesn't work anymore. Apparently, you need a number issued by an American carrier.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
will888 wrote: Google closed some holes with non Americans getting google voice numbers. It used to be that you can sign up with apps like vox ox, dingtone and get a free forwarding number to use for setting up a google voice number. That doesn't work anymore. Apparently, you need a number issued by an American carrier.
This is true.

I've tried US#s with MagicJack, VOIP.ms, TEXT+, TextNow, all get verified, but won't let you save the Google Voice # you select.

I was recently in the US with my Roam Mobility SIM card, and I was able to validate it using that. Now I'm set.

Anyone traveling to the US, should do the same. Have Google Hangouts installed on the phone, and when in the states (with a US SIM or RM SIM) validate the account.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
mobifree wrote: This is true.

I've tried US#s with MagicJack, VOIP.ms, TEXT+, TextNow, all get verified, but won't let you save the Google Voice # you select.

I was recently in the US with my Roam Mobility SIM card, and I was able to validate it using that. Now I'm set.

Anyone traveling to the US, should do the same. Have Google Hangouts installed on the phone, and when in the states (with a US SIM or RM SIM) validate the account.
I wish google would not treat Canada like a banana republic and give us the same functionality Americans get out of google voice.
Sep 19, 2004
85 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto Canada
Freetone app may work for you:

o Freetone, Free phone # Can or USA
 FreeTone Free Calls & Texting
 For outbound calls to the US and Canada, calling is free with FreeTone
 - For inbound calls to your personal number, the first five hundred minutes are complimentary, with the ability to receive calls to your FreeTone number for a minimal extension fee
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6759 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
You can text with VOIP.MS.
The phone number from them will cost you about $1 per month and I think there's a very minimal charge for each text.

It's something to investigate.
Phils
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Phils wrote: You can text with VOIP.MS.
The phone number from them will cost you about $1 per month and I think there's a very minimal charge for each text.

It's something to investigate.
How? From my understanding (which may be outdated) you can get incoming sms to your cell or email with a voip.ms DID, however if you want to send, you will have to go on their website and send your sms using an online form
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
manteiv wrote: Merry xmas to all,

I am looking for an equivalent app to Fongo, in the sense that you get assigned a phone number that can make and receive calls to any phone and make and receive sms.

I am working up north in a fly-in-fly-out remote site with no cellular coverage. We only have wifi but certain ports are blocked by IT. Fongo only works half, I can receive text but I cannot send text. Apps like Skype, whatsapp work here but those don't get assigned a real phone number. I want to be able to text someone who is using a regular cell phone with no internet access. Maybe with a different app, the ports are different and my text will work both ways.

thanks
ios-android-free-cell-free-mms-free-ld- ... st24720917
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2003
1321 posts
731 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone got a good app that works like fongo and isnt based on earning credits to use? most of the recommendations are either riddled with adds, use credits, or dont work both on Cellular and WiFi.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6676 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
escalade wrote: Anyone got a good app that works like fongo and isnt based on earning credits to use? most of the recommendations are either riddled with adds, use credits, or dont work both on Cellular and WiFi.
Google Voice is the best VOIP as it meets all of your criteria. However it is for US phone numbers.

Aside from GV, I don't think it is reasonable to get something for free without ads. If it exists, I would be wary of them going out of business.