Computers & Electronics

Are there television sets etc. out there that are safe/safer for your eyes to view?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2016 1:29 am
Tags:
None
Jun 22, 2005
844 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa

Are there television sets etc. out there that are safe/safer for your eyes to view?

Last year I researched and bought the BenQ XL2411Z (http://www.benq.ca/product/monitor/XL2411Z) which had a low blue light setting which was supposed to help with eye comfort and safety. I'm not sure if it helped or not but it gave me some peace of mind that I was doing something more to save my eye sight. Does anyone know if there are TV sets, cell phones and other monitors etc. that are safe/safer for your eyes to view?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
There are apps that will change the colour temperature of a phone screen, under different names depending on your OS. TVs are uncontrollable unless you're displaying a PC input and using a blue-filtering program like f.lux on the PC.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Wear tinted sunglasses?
Nov 3, 2003
54 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Just don't watch TV
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
JamesA1 wrote: Wear tinted sunglasses?
I actually picked up a pair of "night driving" sunglasses at wal-mart for 20$. They fit over existing glasses. I don't use them for "night driving", but sometimes I use them before bed, they make everything warm and less harsh...

You can also get blue-light blocking prescription glasses but I haven't tried those.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
Piro21 wrote: There are apps that will change the colour temperature of a phone screen, under different names depending on your OS. TVs are uncontrollable unless you're displaying a PC input and using a blue-filtering program like f.lux on the PC.
I have been using f.lux for over a year now. Really like the program.
It is strange for the first few minutes when your screen automatically adjusts with the sun setting at night, but your eyes get used to the new "tint" pretty quickly.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
Remember it's not just the TV, it's the ambient light around it and you while you're watching, the distance you're sitting from the TV, how long you look at it without looking away (you're supposed to focus on something else that's further away a few times an hour when looking at any screen for extended periods), how tired/hydrated you are, etc.
Jul 9, 2007
573 posts
87 upvotes
Oakville
TotallyKiller wrote: Remember it's not just the TV, it's the ambient light around it and you while you're watching, the distance you're sitting from the TV, how long you look at it without looking away (you're supposed to focus on something else that's further away a few times an hour when looking at any screen for extended periods), how tired/hydrated you are, etc.
+1
It's best to adjust the ambient light to a similar brightness as the TV or vise versa. It's the change in brightness that causes staining
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
LCDs do not emit any radiation. They are perfectly safe for your eyes regardless of how far you sit from them

The title of this post is incorrect. It should read.

Are there any televisions that can minimize eye strain
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
screen might not damage your eyes but staring at something at a fixed distance for a long period of time might.
On the other hand, I think the screen acts as a receiver and steal your thought and send it to the government, you just have to think quietly.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)