• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2009 8:33 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19047 posts
1504 upvotes
sunvv wrote:
Jul 24th, 2009 1:52 pm
While there are lots of cc with chip technology, just ask your cc issuer for a replace card, most likely you'll get the chip one.

and life is always full of uncertainty, so don't worry too much about it and enjoy your life.
Chip & PIN is actually bad news because it shifts more of the liability to the consumer. If you have a chip & PIN card and unapproved cahrgers show up that used the PIN, the onus is on YOU to prove you did not make those charges.

I am going to avoid having a chip & pin MC for as long as humanly possible.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18792 posts
3420 upvotes
GTA West
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2009 9:06 pm
For now that means just dont get a bmo mc :D
Other banks are already using Chip & PIN as well. I have RBC VISA with Chip. :mad:

Though I think this forum may tear itself apart like a continental earthquake if MBNA Smart Cash MC starts with the Chip!
Mar 23, 2004
38677 posts
4733 upvotes
Markham
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jul 30th, 2009 9:10 pm
Other banks are already using Chip & PIN as well. I have RBC VISA with Chip. :mad:

Though I think this forum may tear itself apart like a continental earthquake if MBNA Smart Cash MC starts with the Chip!
All big 5 has chipped debit and visa. BUT bmo is the only MC issuer that has chip. Notice how my post said BMO MC only~
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
71 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2009 9:16 pm
All big 5 has chipped debit and visa. BUT bmo is the only MC issuer that has chip. Notice how my post said BMO MC only~
National Bank began issuing chip MC in May this year.

http://www.nbc.ca/bnc/cda/productfamily ... 00,00.html

ATB Financial is also issuing chip MC cards.
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jul 30th, 2009 9:10 pm

It's inevitable that MBNA will issue a chip card- it's a matter of when. There's a guideline that the Visa/MC issuers must issue chip cards by 2011 or some date like that.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18792 posts
3420 upvotes
GTA West
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2009 9:16 pm
Sorry, I guess I didn't see that angle since each bank cannot issue both VISA and MC.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7390 posts
843 upvotes
GTA
Salinger wrote:
Jul 24th, 2009 3:29 pm
All CIBC Visas are issued with chip + PIN as well.
Do you know when they are rolling this out to all customers? Just curious if it is at the expiry date of the card since my CIBC Visa doesn't have a chip/PIN...yet.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
799 upvotes
sillysimms wrote:
Jul 31st, 2009 4:58 pm
Do you know when they are rolling this out to all customers? Just curious if it is at the expiry date of the card since my CIBC Visa doesn't have a chip/PIN...yet.
Both, people with expiry will have higher priority. But once they are taken care of they will ship it to other customers.

Worn out cards will also be replaced with Chip + PIN. You can call for a repalcement card if you want one right now. Just say the signature strip is worn out (which is common) or something similar.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5525 posts
1712 upvotes
[quote="tng11" post_id="9159825" time="1249003430" user_id="195260"]National Bank began issuing chip MC in May this year.

http://www.nbc.ca/bnc/cda/productfamily ... 00,00.html
QUOTE]

Meh, they refused to send me one although my current card had been compromised. When they called me to tell me they had to replace my frauded card, I specifically asked them to get the chipped card and they said no and sent me a regular card.

BTW, AMEX is really behid with that technology. We're even having a hard time getting current Amex cards to work on converted point of sale equipments.

Keep in mind you can have a chip card, but if the store you shop at doesn't have the converted equipment, they will still use the regular magnetic stripe.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
799 upvotes
WHO wrote:
Jul 31st, 2009 5:06 pm
Chip override is also enabled on many terminals which i guess doesn't make it more "Secure". All you do is basically when it says "USE CHIP" is insert the card upside down or the wrong way a few times and then it will enable Mag Fallback.

This should be disabled once the transition is complete but it's still possible to force a mag swipe transaction.
Mar 23, 2004
38677 posts
4733 upvotes
Markham
WHO wrote:
Jul 31st, 2009 5:06 pm
Meh, they refused to send me one although my current card had been compromised. When they called me to tell me they had to replace my frauded card, I specifically asked them to get the chipped card and they said no and sent me a regular card.
:lol: ouch.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7390 posts
843 upvotes
GTA
tkyoshi wrote:
Jul 31st, 2009 5:02 pm
Both, people with expiry will have higher priority. But once they are taken care of they will ship it to other customers.

Worn out cards will also be replaced with Chip + PIN. You can call for a repalcement card if you want one right now. Just say the signature strip is worn out (which is common) or something similar.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I had credit card fraud with my Visa once a few years ago that was easily and quickly reversed. Hoping if something like that should ever happen again with the PIN it is as easy to clear up the fraud!
Jul 29, 2009
895 posts
14 upvotes
tkyoshi wrote:
Jul 31st, 2009 5:11 pm
Chip override is also enabled on many terminals which i guess doesn't make it more "Secure". All you do is basically when it says "USE CHIP" is insert the card upside down or the wrong way a few times and then it will enable Mag Fallback.

This should be disabled once the transition is complete but it's still possible to force a mag swipe transaction.
heh. When I first got my chip card, I used it at Subway, and when their machine said "USE CHIP", they manually keyed in the CC number. *facepalm*
Mar 23, 2004
38677 posts
4733 upvotes
Markham
YYC27 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2009 5:35 pm
heh. When I first got my chip card, I used it at Subway, and when their machine said "USE CHIP", they manually keyed in the CC number. *facepalm*
talk about stupid lol