Food & Drink

Is there a difference between veg juice (eg V8) and clam cocktail (eg Clamato)?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2017 3:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3955 posts
533 upvotes
Aurora

Is there a difference between veg juice (eg V8) and clam cocktail (eg Clamato)?

I enjoy vegetable juice like V8. Is there a nutritional difference between a "vegetable cocktail" type juice and a "clam cocktail" type mixes other than the clam flavour? I see both in the tomato juice section of the supermarket but have always wondered if there was a difference. If not, I'd rather just get Clamato or "clam cocktail" since I l do like Ceasars.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
I'm pretty sure V8 has a blend of vegetables whereas Clamato is only tomato (with clam juice)

EDIT: Yup.
INGREDIENTS: VEGETABLE JUICE (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICES OF TOMATOES, CARROTS, CELERY, BEETS, PARSLEY, LETTUCE, WATERCRESS, SPINACH), SALT, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), BETA CAROTENE, NATURAL FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID.

Also both drinks have a butt ton of salt.
250mL is apparently 25%+ of your recommended daily intake.
Oct 13, 2014
995 posts
422 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
With the clam juice (Clamato) you can make a caesar when you mix vodka.
With the V8 juice you can make a caesar salad when you mix vodka. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

In all seriousness death_hawk is correct on the sodium, additionally overall the V8 juice does fare better with regards to nutrition.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3886 posts
1257 upvotes
You can still make a Caesar with V8, it's just called a Bloody Mary. To make a really good Bloody Mary, you mix up a bit of beef bouillon and hot water and shoot it in there - makes up for the loss of savoury clam effect.

The Clamato contains added glucose-fructose and about 4 g more sugar per 250ml (which is like an extra teaspoon (=4.2g) of sugar). It also has mmmm MSG, if that concerns you.

Clamato has about 1/3 more salt but if you do that bouillon trick with the V8, that'll fix that problem. 1/4 tsp Better than Boullion beef base in a shot of hot water in the V8 will make them about equivalent in terms of salt.

So V8 + 1 tsp sugar + 1/4 tsp boullion base + MSG ~= Clamato
Oct 13, 2014
995 posts
422 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
To me I have always considered a Bloody Mary to use tomato juice.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3886 posts
1257 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 12:43 pm
To me I have always considered a Bloody Mary to use tomato juice.
You need to loosen up :) I think it is all the same drink with little ingredient tweaks.

(But you're right, a canonical Bloody Mary recipe uses tomato juice.)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3468 posts
1367 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Yes they are different. Clamato is about 100x better:)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11024 posts
1523 upvotes
City of Vancouver
DiceMan wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 1:07 am
I enjoy vegetable juice like V8. Is there a nutritional difference between a "vegetable cocktail" type juice and a "clam cocktail" type mixes other than the clam flavour?
Thry r both pasteurized, processed, reconstituted fake food products.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3468 posts
1367 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Becks wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 5:28 am
Thry r both pasteurized, processed, reconstituted fake food products.
Yes, they are. Clamato is yummy though:) The other - bleh.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3886 posts
1257 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:34 pm
Yes, they are. Clamato is yummy though:) The other - bleh.
It's much more acidic. Some get heartburn from Clamato but not from veg cocktail because of all the extra acid. Citric acid is the #1 ingredient in the Clamato.

Clamato also has all that umami/savory flavour and a blast of sugar. Comparatively, ordinary vegetable juice is wallpaper paste. It needs some lime juice and beef broth and sugar, and, well, help....it just needs some help.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4871 posts
740 upvotes
Psychopathetic wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 1:22 pm
Low Sodium V8 with a dash of clam juice?
Yes...! Try to find the low-sodium V8. Add your own clam juice separately, if you want the umami.

I enjoy low-sodium V8 with a squeeze of lemon/lime, splash of Worcestershire, and a shake of black pepper. :)