• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 5:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada

Is there a free eye exam in Toronto?

My eyes are red and itching a bit. I went to my family doc and he said I should see an eye doctor( a real doctor...)
I went to one and OHIP is not covering the visit and it's $120 only so that they can take a look at it!!!
Does anyone know a place where I can have it looked at for free?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
79 upvotes
Don't have a place with free examinations for you and not that I doubt you that a proper determination that OHIP is not covering it but:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/pub ... ecare.html:
People 65 years and older and under 20 will continue to have OHIP coverage for an eye examination once every 12 months.

Patients with any of the following conditions can go directly to their optometrist or physician to receive an OHIP insured eye examination: diabetes mellitus, glaucoma, cataract, retinal disease, amblyopia, visual field defects, corneal disease, strabismus.

Patients aged 20 to 64 who have conditions not listed above may also be covered for a regular eye examination. They should discuss this with their primary health care provider.

Did your family doctor tell you why you needed to see an eye doctor?
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1379 posts
80 upvotes
Milton
If you happen to be diabetic you get free eye care from OHIP.
Sep 22, 2011
54 posts
1 upvote
BURNABY
Don't go to an optometrist. These guys just know how to give out eye prescriptions for glasses. I never call these guys doctors.

Go see a real doctor. An ophthalmologist is a real doctor and went to a real medical school.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2011
4225 posts
56 upvotes
NORTH YORK
dazz wrote: My eyes are red and itching a bit. I went to my family doc and he said I should see an eye doctor( a real doctor...)
I went to one and OHIP is not covering the visit and it's $120 only so that they can take a look at it!!!
Does anyone know a place where I can have it looked at for free?
as other said about OHIP rules, check them.

But OP if it is up to you to decide what is important. Your eyes or save $120/-
Sometime its up to you to decide what is best for you.
If you cant get free and OHIP is not covering what are your options?
"Internet is serious business" HeeHeeHee.
Losers/trolls waste time posting this "I don't feel like wasting time researching nonsense and trying to disprove the collective theories of a group of people that do not have, or deserve, even the tiniest shred of credibility. I'd rather amuse myself."
Deal Addict
May 20, 2002
2058 posts
38 upvotes
3 for 1 Glasses claimed to offer a free eye exam as of last year. Are there any left in the GTA that still do?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
verano888 wrote: Don't go to an optometrist. These guys just know how to give out eye prescriptions for glasses. I never call these guys doctors.

Go see a real doctor. An ophthalmologist is a real doctor and went to a real medical school.
That's funny. There's so many things an optometrist can do. They are real eye doctors and certain conditions cover you for OHIP. http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/pub ... ecare.html

Hey it's your eyes. If you lose your vision it's your fault because you were too cheap. It's funny how people go for teeth cleanings more often than have their eyes checked. It doesn't hit you until someone in the family loses their vision because they were too cheap.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Jun 10, 2010
247 posts
29 upvotes
Lasik MD has the first meeting free where they do a complete exam to see if you are eligible for the operation (so I guess they would see it if you had something)
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, I wouldn't cheap out on this....

$120, just re-balance your budget for the month.

Does your company/school offer insurance for eye exam? I would go to Walmart, I believe its $80
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Feb 4, 2015
1 posts
Toronto
Ya well what about ppl that work but still can not afford the $120 to get their eyes checked because of other problems that have basically made them homeless and can barley feed themselves and really can't afford it or dental care and really need their eyes fixed because of migraines and the fact still need to work because if they go on EI their money is taken by the government and cannot go on welfare until EI is done my situation is way to long to go into but I see no options I feel sick all the time because of my eyes and have almost been killed in at least 6 near miss accidents because of my sight and or lack of concentration do to the migraines and I had lost my health card and just applied for it again and have a temp one is there really nothing I can do ?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
verano888 wrote: Don't go to an optometrist. These guys just know how to give out eye prescriptions for glasses. I never call these guys doctors.

If that's your opinion of them, you need to find a good optometrist. Not some random person who works at an eyeware chain doing sight tests.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
lordnikon wrote: An optometrist is not a medical doctor.
An optometrist is a doctor in the same way a dentist is a doctor.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
dazz wrote: My eyes are red and itching a bit. I went to my family doc and he said I should see an eye doctor( a real doctor...)
You went to an optometrist not an opthamologist right?

Opthamologists are covered by OHIP, your doctor should have provided you with a referral.

And if they're itching, your family doctor can provide you with antihistamine and/or antibiotics drops.
ConsoleWatcher wrote: An optometrist is a doctor in the same way a dentist is a doctor.
I think a dentist has more medical training ... a dentist can do injections and basic surgery (extractions).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
coolspot wrote: You went to an optometrist not an opthamologist right?

Opthamologists are covered by OHIP, your doctor should have provided you with a referral.

And if they're itching, your family doctor can provide you with antihistamine and/or antibiotics drops.

I think a dentist has more medical training ... a dentist can do injections and basic surgery (extractions).
You are wrong about being referred to an ophthalmologist. There is a huge shortage and most limit their practice now to surgery only and do not accept referrals for non-surgical issues. An optometrist is perfectly capable of handling the OP's problem. You do know that optometrist scope of practice was changed a few years ago right? They can prescribe prescription drugs and do. Frankly my own optometrist has literally saved my sight 3 times now. He prescribes the proper medication and does all the followup as not a single local ophthalmologist will deal with me as it's non-surgical. They will only see me if I fail conventional treatment or have an immediate sight threatening complication of treatment....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Bumping this old thread to see if anyone knows where in the GTA I can go just for a glasses prescription. My opthalmologist will no longer issue me a prescription, which must be some new thing because he's been doing so for years. He's now telling me I have to go to an optometrist and gave me the name of someone. All I want is the test and walk out the door with my prescription so I can order online, but all the reviews I read comment that all these places expect you to also buy your glasses from them. I'm really mad that I have to do this because I just had a thorough eye exam with the opthalmologist a couple of months ago and now I have to do the whole thing over again with an optometrist because he will no longer issue prescriptions.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
hardworkingman2010 wrote: Ya well what about ppl that work but still can not afford the $120 to get their eyes checked because of other problems that have basically made them homeless and can barley feed themselves and really can't afford it or dental care and really need their eyes fixed because of migraines and the fact still need to work because if they go on EI their money is taken by the government and cannot go on welfare until EI is done my situation is way to long to go into but I see no options I feel sick all the time because of my eyes and have almost been killed in at least 6 near miss accidents because of my sight and or lack of concentration do to the migraines and I had lost my health card and just applied for it again and have a temp one is there really nothing I can do ?
Dude you have to learn how to use periods. Anyways, if you have no money, Ontario Welfare and Disability PAY for your eye exam AND PAY for your glasses. If you have been almost killed I would get my eyes check lol. You figure thats important in life. You can afford a car.......so you can afford to get your eyes checked and get the cheapest glasses available.
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Bumping this old thread to see if anyone knows where in the GTA I can go just for a glasses prescription. My opthalmologist will no longer issue me a prescription, which must be some new thing because he's been doing so for years. He's now telling me I have to go to an optometrist and gave me the name of someone. All I want is the test and walk out the door with my prescription so I can order online, but all the reviews I read comment that all these places expect you to also buy your glasses from them. I'm really mad that I have to do this because I just had a thorough eye exam with the opthalmologist a couple of months ago and now I have to do the whole thing over again with an optometrist because he will no longer issue prescriptions.
Ophthalmologist is a surgeon. They only do surgery. Only ones left doing prescription are the old guys who can't do surgery from what I've been told by my buddy.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto

And a visit to an ophthalmologist is covered by OHIP.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Bumping this old thread to see if anyone knows where in the GTA I can go just for a glasses prescription. My opthalmologist will no longer issue me a prescription, which must be some new thing because he's been doing so for years. He's now telling me I have to go to an optometrist and gave me the name of someone. All I want is the test and walk out the door with my prescription so I can order online, but all the reviews I read comment that all these places expect you to also buy your glasses from them. I'm really mad that I have to do this because I just had a thorough eye exam with the opthalmologist a couple of months ago and now I have to do the whole thing over again with an optometrist because he will no longer issue prescriptions.
An inexpensive eye test in Toronto will cost you $65. I just had one last week. It was done by a travelling optometrist in the back room of an opticians place. He didn't do the "fancy" stuff like pressure or dilation but he was pretty comprehensive and took a good hour. Sure, the optician tried to persuade me to buy from him but he didn't try a hard sell! I just took the prescription and left. I will probably go back there when I decide to fill it.

Also, some opticians will cover the cost of an eye exam if you buy your frames and lenses from them.