Beauty & Wellness

Is there a free eye exam in Toronto?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2017 1:53 am
Tags:
None
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
965 upvotes
Niagara Falls
coolspot wrote:
Feb 5th, 2015 5:25 pm
You went to an optometrist not an opthamologist right?

Opthamologists are covered by OHIP, your doctor should have provided you with a referral.

And if they're itching, your family doctor can provide you with antihistamine and/or antibiotics drops.



I think a dentist has more medical training ... a dentist can do injections and basic surgery (extractions).
You are wrong about being referred to an ophthalmologist. There is a huge shortage and most limit their practice now to surgery only and do not accept referrals for non-surgical issues. An optometrist is perfectly capable of handling the OP's problem. You do know that optometrist scope of practice was changed a few years ago right? They can prescribe prescription drugs and do. Frankly my own optometrist has literally saved my sight 3 times now. He prescribes the proper medication and does all the followup as not a single local ophthalmologist will deal with me as it's non-surgical. They will only see me if I fail conventional treatment or have an immediate sight threatening complication of treatment....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Sr. Member
Mar 27, 2015
730 posts
171 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Bumping this old thread to see if anyone knows where in the GTA I can go just for a glasses prescription. My opthalmologist will no longer issue me a prescription, which must be some new thing because he's been doing so for years. He's now telling me I have to go to an optometrist and gave me the name of someone. All I want is the test and walk out the door with my prescription so I can order online, but all the reviews I read comment that all these places expect you to also buy your glasses from them. I'm really mad that I have to do this because I just had a thorough eye exam with the opthalmologist a couple of months ago and now I have to do the whole thing over again with an optometrist because he will no longer issue prescriptions.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2003
8702 posts
590 upvotes
hardworkingman2010 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2015 1:28 pm
Ya well what about ppl that work but still can not afford the $120 to get their eyes checked because of other problems that have basically made them homeless and can barley feed themselves and really can't afford it or dental care and really need their eyes fixed because of migraines and the fact still need to work because if they go on EI their money is taken by the government and cannot go on welfare until EI is done my situation is way to long to go into but I see no options I feel sick all the time because of my eyes and have almost been killed in at least 6 near miss accidents because of my sight and or lack of concentration do to the migraines and I had lost my health card and just applied for it again and have a temp one is there really nothing I can do ?
Dude you have to learn how to use periods. Anyways, if you have no money, Ontario Welfare and Disability PAY for your eye exam AND PAY for your glasses. If you have been almost killed I would get my eyes check lol. You figure thats important in life. You can afford a car.......so you can afford to get your eyes checked and get the cheapest glasses available.
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 9:08 pm
Bumping this old thread to see if anyone knows where in the GTA I can go just for a glasses prescription. My opthalmologist will no longer issue me a prescription, which must be some new thing because he's been doing so for years. He's now telling me I have to go to an optometrist and gave me the name of someone. All I want is the test and walk out the door with my prescription so I can order online, but all the reviews I read comment that all these places expect you to also buy your glasses from them. I'm really mad that I have to do this because I just had a thorough eye exam with the opthalmologist a couple of months ago and now I have to do the whole thing over again with an optometrist because he will no longer issue prescriptions.
Ophthalmologist is a surgeon. They only do surgery. Only ones left doing prescription are the old guys who can't do surgery from what I've been told by my buddy.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
verano888 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2012 9:36 am
Don't go to an optometrist. These guys just know how to give out eye prescriptions for glasses. I never call these guys doctors.

Go see a real doctor. An ophthalmologist is a real doctor and went to a real medical school.
And a visit to an ophthalmologist is covered by OHIP.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 9:08 pm
Bumping this old thread to see if anyone knows where in the GTA I can go just for a glasses prescription. My opthalmologist will no longer issue me a prescription, which must be some new thing because he's been doing so for years. He's now telling me I have to go to an optometrist and gave me the name of someone. All I want is the test and walk out the door with my prescription so I can order online, but all the reviews I read comment that all these places expect you to also buy your glasses from them. I'm really mad that I have to do this because I just had a thorough eye exam with the opthalmologist a couple of months ago and now I have to do the whole thing over again with an optometrist because he will no longer issue prescriptions.
An inexpensive eye test in Toronto will cost you $65. I just had one last week. It was done by a travelling optometrist in the back room of an opticians place. He didn't do the "fancy" stuff like pressure or dilation but he was pretty comprehensive and took a good hour. Sure, the optician tried to persuade me to buy from him but he didn't try a hard sell! I just took the prescription and left. I will probably go back there when I decide to fill it.

Also, some opticians will cover the cost of an eye exam if you buy your frames and lenses from them.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2003
8702 posts
590 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 3:36 pm
And a visit to an ophthalmologist is covered by OHIP.
It's rare to find an ophthalmologist who will check your prescription, unless they are really old, and are not allowed to do surgery, which you probably won't wanna go there anyways for reasons you will see for yourself.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
aquariaguy wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 5:46 pm
It's rare to find an ophthalmologist who will check your prescription, unless they are really old, and are not allowed to do surgery, which you probably won't wanna go there anyways for reasons you will see for yourself.
My experience was different. My opthamologist always had his assistant check my prescription immediately before seeing me. If I wanted a copy, I could have it for $120.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2003
8702 posts
590 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 3:36 pm
And a visit to an ophthalmologist is covered by OHIP.
Jimbobs wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 6:16 pm
My experience was different. My opthamologist always had his assistant check my prescription immediately before seeing me. If I wanted a copy, I could have it for $120.
So how is paying $120 all of a sudden covered by OHIP? ? ? So they bill OHIP AND $120 to you? Interesting. What's the reason you're seeing an ophthalmologist for? Guessing you have an problems with your eyes thats why.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
aquariaguy wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 8:39 pm
So how is paying $120 all of a sudden covered by OHIP? ? ? So they bill OHIP AND $120 to you? Interesting. What's the reason you're seeing an ophthalmologist for? Guessing you have an problems with your eyes thats why.
Two different transactions: the visit to ophthalmologist is covered by OHIP. He did the eye test as part of his exam and told me that if I wanted a copy, it would cost $120.

I was referred to the ophthalmologist by an optometrist. I can't remember what they saw that made them do that but the ophthalmologist suggested I might need cataract surgery. As he no longer did surgery himself, he referred me to his colleague in the same office. When I saw him months later, he said there was no sign of any cataracts and that I definitely did not need any surgery.

Top