Health & Wellness

Is there a free eye exam in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 5:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: And a visit to an ophthalmologist is covered by OHIP.
It's rare to find an ophthalmologist who will check your prescription, unless they are really old, and are not allowed to do surgery, which you probably won't wanna go there anyways for reasons you will see for yourself.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
aquariaguy wrote: It's rare to find an ophthalmologist who will check your prescription, unless they are really old, and are not allowed to do surgery, which you probably won't wanna go there anyways for reasons you will see for yourself.
My experience was different. My opthamologist always had his assistant check my prescription immediately before seeing me. If I wanted a copy, I could have it for $120.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: And a visit to an ophthalmologist is covered by OHIP.
Jimbobs wrote: My experience was different. My opthamologist always had his assistant check my prescription immediately before seeing me. If I wanted a copy, I could have it for $120.
So how is paying $120 all of a sudden covered by OHIP? ? ? So they bill OHIP AND $120 to you? Interesting. What's the reason you're seeing an ophthalmologist for? Guessing you have an problems with your eyes thats why.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
aquariaguy wrote: So how is paying $120 all of a sudden covered by OHIP? ? ? So they bill OHIP AND $120 to you? Interesting. What's the reason you're seeing an ophthalmologist for? Guessing you have an problems with your eyes thats why.
Two different transactions: the visit to ophthalmologist is covered by OHIP. He did the eye test as part of his exam and told me that if I wanted a copy, it would cost $120.

I was referred to the ophthalmologist by an optometrist. I can't remember what they saw that made them do that but the ophthalmologist suggested I might need cataract surgery. As he no longer did surgery himself, he referred me to his colleague in the same office. When I saw him months later, he said there was no sign of any cataracts and that I definitely did not need any surgery.
Dec 6, 2010
8 posts
Toronto
Giving this a bump because I have found a useful source for those still in need:

https://shop.fyidoctors.com/

Click on Find a Location and there are a number of optometrists offering free eye exams.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)