Cell Phones

Is there a free US number which can forward calls to a Canadian number?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2012 1:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary

Is there a free US number which can forward calls to a Canadian number?

I might add this to the title: Is there a SIP provide which can forward VOIP calls to a Canadian number for free?

Does anyone know who will provide this kind of services? Or even a SIP forwarding calls to a Canadian number? Thanks.

Also let me know even if it's not free. Thanks.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary
I might look for SIPs can forward the VOIP to a Canadian number. Here: VOIP -> SIP -> Canadian number.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
Vooxox allows free CF to Canada
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
There is an RFD thread on google voice already. In summary, use vpn to get a google voice number on your google account, text+ to get a US number, add the text plus number to the google voice account, then install the google voice app (push it to the phone from the computer), use the app to add your canadian number. Google voice seems finicky and won't let you add a canadian number unless there is already a US number registered first.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary
will888 wrote: There is an RFD thread on google voice already. In summary, use vpn to get a google voice number on your google account, text+ to get a US number, add the text plus number to the google voice account, then install the google voice app (push it to the phone from the computer), use the app to add your canadian number. Google voice seems finicky and won't let you add a canadian number unless there is already a US number registered first.
Could you give me the link? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks. And this is not a data call correct? I want to use the minutes. Thanks.
wowwah wrote: i sign up my Google voice with 778 number,this is my Canadian number

not working with other areacode
So you said GV can still forward to 778 number? Can we add a 778 number now?
shushwap wrote: Vooxox allows free CF to Canada
Thanks. I know it works but the delay is unacceptable. Sometimes it will be 5 -6 seconds delay makes it totally unusable. But thanks for bring that up!
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary
wowwah wrote: i sign up my Google voice with 778 number,this is my Canadian number

not working with other areacode
Seems I can't add the 778 number. Looks like you added it long time ago. Can you still forward your GV to your 778 number? I had a 403 number and used can be forward but not any more. :cry:
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
will888 wrote: There is an RFD thread on google voice already. In summary, use vpn to get a google voice number on your google account, text+ to get a US number, add the text plus number to the google voice account, then install the google voice app (push it to the phone from the computer), use the app to add your canadian number. Google voice seems finicky and won't let you add a canadian number unless there is already a US number registered first.
Only works if you have an Android phone, however.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary
I guess the only option for me right now is voxox. :(
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
ceredon wrote: Only works if you have an Android phone, however.
Works on any ecosystem that has the google voice app. So, good on android and iOS for sure. Sorry, if you have a windows phone.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
will888 wrote: Works on any ecosystem that has the google voice app. So, good on android and iOS for sure. Sorry, if you have a windows phone.
Tried recently? I was using it with an iPhone for a couple years but they shut it out a month or so back. At the same time, they opened it up so you could add almost any Canadian number as a forwarding number, not just 403. But it needs to be a number tied to a SIM that is inserted in an Android phone to work. Some that tested it then took that SIM and put it into an iPhone and it failed.

More details:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... ng-numbers

Edit: also, as of last week, it stopped letting me add new Canadian numbers. Back to the "the number you entered does not match your country" error.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
ibuddler wrote: Could you give me the link? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks. And this is not a data call correct? I want to use the minutes. Thanks.
Can't seem to find it. I will go a little slower for you. Use the text+ app and set up an account with a US number. Use a VPN service to login to google.com/voice with your google account. Here is a sample free VPN service that will work with a US IP address.

http://www.justfreevpn.com/

Go to the google voice settings, add the text+ number. Google voice will prompt you to verify the number with a 2 digit PIN. Have your text+ app open to receive the call and complete the verification.

Use this link to push the google voice app to your phone. Play store will not show it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dm9pY2UiXQ

Run the google voice app. During the setup, you will be asked what number to use. Select use this phone's number, don't select the text+ number you added above. A text message will be used to do the verification this time. When complete you should be able to see your cell number as well as the text+ number in your google voice settings, phone tab. Check off forward calls to your cell. Adjust other settings to your liking. Suggest you disable call screening which is rather annoying.

Go to your dialer on the cell and make a call. You will be prompted to make the call with or without google voice. If you choose with google voice, your dialer will call a local number instead of the number you really wanted to call. The google voice app will prompt google's call system to call that number. The two calls are patched together seamlessly and your call becomes a local call regardless of whether it is local or not.

If you are wondering why add the text+ US number which you really don't want to use, it is because a US number must be part of the list of phone numbers first before a Canadian number can be added.

One last thing, sometimes the Canadian number does not work for a couple of days even though the number was added properly and promptly accepted. Don't know why but that happens. Be patient, it should work after a few days. Enjoy the savings. For all this work, please hit thank but a few times.
Nov 12, 2010
178 posts
35 upvotes
Montreal
will888 wrote: If you choose with google voice, your dialer will call a local number instead of the number you really wanted to call. The google voice app will prompt google's call system to call that number. The two calls are patched together seamlessly and your call becomes a local call regardless of whether it is local or not.
I am currently using the flow as in the diagram below:

[IMG]http://goo.gl/s4kHY[/IMG]

Not sure why I can never insert an image. Here's the link anyways. http://goo.gl/s4kHY

What you have suggested above could probably work with unlimited LOCAL calling plans. I only have unlimited incoming calls, so looking for something that would actually work in the incoming fashion at both ends.

That being said, do you know of any SIP service that offers a FREE US # with call forwarding to Canadian # feature as a MUST?

And I will appreciate if you could share the link for Google Voice thread you mentioned already exists in your another post.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
mundra wrote: I am currently using the flow as in the diagram below:

[IMG]http://goo.gl/s4kHY[/IMG]

Not sure why I can never insert an image. Here's the link anyways. http://goo.gl/s4kHY

What you have suggested above could probably work with unlimited LOCAL calling plans. I only have unlimited incoming calls, so looking for something that would actually work in the incoming fashion at both ends.

That being said, do you know of any SIP service that offers a FREE US # with call forwarding to Canadian # feature as a MUST?

And I will appreciate if you could share the link for Google Voice thread you mentioned already exists in your another post.
You can always use voice+ which does a call back to save your outgoing minutes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... plus&hl=en