Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
1997 posts
390 upvotes
Scarborough

Is there a method to Amazon's "Add-on Item"

What is considered an "Add-on" item to Amazon?

Here's an example. The first article is heavier, less expensive and not an add-on item but the second product is MORE expensive and weighs MUCH less but it's an add-on item. Now someone explain to me what the logic is behind this? Weight and Price has to be ruled out because my two examples don't make sense.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hellmanns-Real-Ma ... words=tuna

Hellmanns Real Mayonnaise 1.42L
Price: $6.96 (Prime Item)
Shipping Weight: 1.4Kg
*Not an Add-on Item*

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00W9OE812/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Price: $9.73 (Prime Item)
Shipping Weight: 91 grams
*Add-on Item*
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
1997 posts
390 upvotes
Scarborough
hvwozq wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 7:48 pm
Who cares? Add a Pre-order movie to the order, then cancel it.
Nice way to abuse the system pal
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1008 posts
196 upvotes
hey i'm not your pal, buddy.

most likely it is just a method to force you to buy more than you wanted to or to look around for something else.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1331 posts
300 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
It probably has to do with their profit margins than anything else. Heavy or large food items tend to be add-on items, but this isn't always the case. Check out Rice Krispies cereal for instance:

You have to consider Amazon's cost to acquire the item and shipping it to you in addition to the overall price. I'd imagine that the hat is an add-on item because the profit margin on it is low. The medium/large version which is currently on backorder is a much higher price and is not an add-on item.
OrangeBerry wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 7:58 pm
Who cares? Amazon and every other retailer will do everything they can to get every penny that they can out of you. Amazon's surely aware of this loophole. They can fix it at any time. The onus is on them, not on us to be good little subservient consumers.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23888 posts
2292 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
OrangeBerry wrote:
I agree. Don't abuse the system. It eventually costs us, the consumer.

My guess is that perishable items needs to turn over more quickly. If you make it an add on item, it will not move as quickly.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13815 posts
828 upvotes
Probably weight and price. The OPs Add on item isn't an add on item if you choose a different size (that is more expensive).
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2608 posts
2802 upvotes
Add-on item used to be a good deal item as it normally doesn't include the shipping cost in the price and 99% of Add-on item used to be below or equal to $5. Most of third-party sellers items won't be add-on item.

However, Amazon changed it few weeks ago. Most of items below $10 are Add-on item now. Even some items from third-party sellers are Add-on now. The change doesn't decrease the price of the item. As the result, many add-on items are no longer good deal.

Back to Op's question about how to determine the add-on item by Amazon. From what I see, it is dependent on the price and sometimes the weight of the item. For the third-party seller item, I think it is set by the seller.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
1940 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry, must be blind - where is the Amazon.ca sub category/link for a list of all Add-On items they offer?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2608 posts
2802 upvotes
Amazon doesn't offer filter for add-on item. Even they do it now, it is meaningless since add-on items are now including the shipping cost especially for items between $5 to $10. The reason being an add-on item because we need to buy at least $25, so Amazon can minimize the shipping cost. If the price of the items already include the shipping cost, why we still need to buy $25.
chadw01 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:51 pm
Sorry, must be blind - where is the Amazon.ca sub category/link for a list of all Add-On items they offer?
Dec 10, 2013
24 posts
3 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote:
How is this abuse? They chose to ship one item now and one later. I'm just reducing their additional shipping costs.