Art and Photography

Is there no good VIDEO tripod under $150?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2009 4:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2278 posts
163 upvotes

Is there no good VIDEO tripod under $150?

I've been looking for more than 2 years now, and I still haven't found a good VIDEO tripod under $150. I've seen stable ones, but those are only for PHOTO, (no pan head, no 3-way (can't tilt front and back, just left to right, and side to side 90 degrees), does anyone know of any good VIDEO tripods that has: front and back tilt, smooth pan, acceptable stability (I won't be using this in windstorm or anything).

I will be very happy if I can find one. :)

I've also heard a rumour that if a tripod has legs connecting the three legs together in a triangle, then it's not good. Is this true?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
150 is quite low for "Good".

Good photo tripods are easily 500 bucks if not 1000 or more, without a ball head. The ball head is another couple hundred for a good one.

So I expect similar for video.

I am not sure why you say you can't find a tripod with pan and tilt for 150. A lot of the cheap stuff out there comes with pan and tilt head.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1313 posts
256 upvotes
yea i was just gonna say.. even the cheap $20 ones from factory direct have pan and tilt.. but are they as good as the expensive ones no.. but you can still make it work
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1191 posts
144 upvotes
Edmonton
uh oh! i just picked up a $40 tripod from FS last night and was hoping i can use it with both my DSLR AND a camcorder to record the kids running around the house.

i guess i have to double check it again ...

just thinking out loud, it is so difficult for me to justify my pocket to spit out $200+ for a tripod.