Shopping Discussion

Is there a point in buying Groupons from eyeglasses/sunglasses shops?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2017 2:55 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1412 posts
563 upvotes

Is there a point in buying Groupons from eyeglasses/sunglasses shops?

There are some eyeglasses shops that are selling 15 for 200 or similar deals on Groupons. Do you guys think there is a point to those Groupons or it's better just to go directly to the store and negotiate?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Airbum88 wrote: There are some eyeglasses shops that are selling 15 for 200 or similar deals on Groupons. Do you guys think there is a point to those Groupons or it's better just to go directly to the store and negotiate?
I apologise - I had read your question as being a groupon offer from Store A, and going straight into Store A and negotiating.

If that's the case, then sure...you should go in to the store and discuss.

However, if it's not the case, and you're wanting to compare a groupon offer from whatever supplier they are promoting, with another local eyewear provider, then that of course is different. Personally, I wouldn't go with a groupon deal for something like eyewear. There's a lot of benefit to going into the local provider - they can make certain measurements and you can easily followup on issues. You may not be able to do the same followup with a Groupon provider.

I did use Clearly (storefront) for my recent glasses purchase. I'm not thrilled with them, but I'm not disappointed either.
Last edited by ALLCAPS on Feb 12th, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1412 posts
563 upvotes
I've never compared. I've only gotten prescription lenses once without a groupon.
Just wondering if other RFD members have experiences to share.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Airbum88 wrote: There are some eyeglasses shops that are selling 15 for 200 or similar deals on Groupons. Do you guys think there is a point to those Groupons or it's better just to go directly to the store and negotiate?
I have brought this last year, its a scam deal. They $200 voucher + eye exam for $15. Read the fine print, it says you have to buy a complete set (frame + lens). The worse thing the store will say their cheapest frame is $200 + lens (depend on prescription), you will ended up paying at least $200 after the voucher.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1412 posts
563 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: I have brought this last year, its a scam deal. They $200 voucher + eye exam for $15. Read the fine print, it says you have to buy a complete set (frame + lens). The worse thing the store will say their cheapest frame is $200 + lens (depend on prescription), you will ended up paying at least $200 after the voucher.
Aren't most frames they sell in the stores $200+ anyway?
Feb 3, 2015
490 posts
396 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I don't trust Groupon deals.

I bought prescription eyeglasses (farsighted -4) from zenniopticals last Christmas. Cost me 20 dollars in total for 2 glasses including shipping. Variety of styles and coated to protect from scratches and UV rays.
I was skeptic at first but I invested in these anyway as it was only $20. But these glasses are really durable and clear. I wear one of these for home and the other to go out.
There are also other sites like 39dollarsglasses, clearly contacts and so on.

My point being if you don't care about showing off the brand name, there are plenty of options to go for online. If you are lucky, you might even get some brand name glass. I go to walmart and it cost $150 for prescription glasses. I won't fall for these store traps anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Airbum88 wrote: Aren't most frames they sell in the stores $200+ anyway?
You are right. But there is no other option, they don't sell cheap frame. My objective at that time is do an eye exam, buy Rx reading glass and a frame, which I think will be more or less $15 all-in (the value of the voucher is $200). But wa upset with the price of the frame.