None
[OP]
Banned
Nov 30, 2003
641 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

is there pork in bubble tea?

Hey, i hope this doesn't sound stupid but i heard that bubble tea has pork in it due to the geletan ball thingys, sorry for sounding ignorant, can someone comment on this?
thanks
What's the Dilly?

Hofo Feedback
Heat
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9420 posts
536 upvotes
Markham
Yes. That is part of the reason explaining the fact that China is the largest consumer of pork in the world.

Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1230 upvotes
Sauga
Those are usually tapioca pearls, and even though they have a consistency like gelatin, there is no gelatin in them.
Nov 7, 2003
252 posts
You mean the girls who are serving those drinks?

Yeah, I guess some of them are. :lol:
Trying is the first step towards failure
--Homer Simpson
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4511 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
some places sometimes use jello instead of tapioca....but usually ppl have to ask for jello,....so chances R U are getting tapioca...
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
[OP]
Banned
Nov 30, 2003
641 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
ok so I see some mixed opinions here, does that mean it is up to who is making it? do i have an option? i researched tapioca that is a root or whatever but this one time i had the bubble tea it had slimey balls in them was it something different then tapioca?
What's the Dilly?

Hofo Feedback
Heat
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
There is NO pork in bubble tea.

/thread
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1230 upvotes
Sauga
Degenerate wrote:There is NO pork in bubble tea.

/thread
...except when it has gelatin cubes or jello instead of tapioca. Then, gelatin is present, and it may be from a pig.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
8923 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Q B wrote:ok so I see some mixed opinions here, does that mean it is up to who is making it? do i have an option? i researched tapioca that is a root or whatever but this one time i had the bubble tea it had slimey balls in them was it something different then tapioca?
most BBT places will ask u if u want tapioca or jelly... and the slimey balls ARE the tapioca.. tapoioca starts off as little starch balls and after u boil them they get slimey and get softer as time passed... its takes about 45min to prepare tapioca pearls...

and as astated by other members here the only ones that may contain animal are the jelly which is probably made out of gelatin... but u do have the option whether or not u want jelly...
[OP]
Banned
Nov 30, 2003
641 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
cmge wrote:most BBT places will ask u if u want tapioca or jelly... and the slimey balls ARE the tapioca.. tapoioca starts off as little starch balls and after u boil them they get slimey and get softer as time passed... its takes about 45min to prepare tapioca pearls...

and as astated by other members here the only ones that may contain animal are the jelly which is probably made out of gelatin... but u do have the option whether or not u want jelly...

Thank you very much.
What's the Dilly?

Hofo Feedback
Heat
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1651 posts
2 upvotes
Final Lazy wrote:You mean the girls who are serving those drinks?

Yeah, I guess some of them are. :lol:

haha that's funny

by the way it is not "jell-o" it is coconut jelly.

Honda Integra iS: An unfair advantage
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4794 posts
337 upvotes
Ancaster
Xtahse wrote:haha that's funny

by the way it is not "jell-o" it is coconut jelly.
Coconut...never heard of that one -- although I don't go often.

I know they have "grass jelly" though. It's black and it tastes....hard to describe. But it's good in some drinks.
Sep 22, 2004
539 posts
Q B wrote:Hey, i hope this doesn't sound stupid but i heard that bubble tea has pork in it due to the geletan ball thingys, sorry for sounding ignorant, can someone comment on this?
thanks
They are tapioca...