Cell Phones

Is there a quick way to delete messages from Android?

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2018 10:32 pm
[OP]
Apr 16, 2018
14 posts

Is there a quick way to delete messages from Android?

Before selling my old Android phone , I have deleted some important and personal messages manually , But the owner of the mobile phone store told me it wasn't enough.He said he could easily retrieve the deleted data from my phone ,
I hope this is a joke, anyways ,this worries me about my Android messages , that's some information about bank contact and some personal privacy,
PS: I've always used this method to delete any data in my phone without any unusual
34 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18829 posts
6844 upvotes
Toronto
When selling a used phone, always perform a factory reset. That deletes all user data.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Apr 16, 2018
14 posts
That's what i though , all the data saved on the phone can be deleted after the factory reset , but the But the owner of the second-hand store told me that he could easily retrieve the data.
I believe he can ......
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10395 posts
637 upvotes
Vancouver
Enable full disk encryption - that will scramble every bit of data on your device. Then do the factory reset.

Also, you should remove your Google account from the device before resetting it. There is a security feature that will lock the new owner out of the device if they can't log into the previously associated Google account.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3886 posts
1052 upvotes
GTA
I think aside from budget phones, most modern phones do have full disk encryption enabled by default by now. Most flagships definitely do. Recovering data from those phones after a factory reset isn't likely

But if it's an older phone and didn't have encryption enabled then yes, data recovery could be possible
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3151 posts
557 upvotes
Markham, ON
Tasery wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 1:57 am
That's what i though , all the data saved on the phone can be deleted after the factory reset , but the But the owner of the second-hand store told me that he could easily retrieve the data.
I believe he can ......
This really depends, if you just manually deleted the text messages like you said and you didn't do a factory reset then yes, it's quite easy to retrieve that information.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1449 posts
612 upvotes
Calgary
Amourek wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 3:01 am
Also, you should remove your Google account from the device before resetting it. There is a security feature that will lock the new owner out of the device if they can't log into the previously associated Google account.
That's only if you try doing a reset from the bootloader or any method where your password isn't entered. If you do the reset from the Settings menu, you'll be prompted for your password before resetting.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2018
14 posts
Devhux wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 6:18 pm
That's only if you try doing a reset from the bootloader or any method where your password isn't entered. If you do the reset from the Settings menu, you'll be prompted for your password before resetting.
Any suggestions ?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1449 posts
612 upvotes
Calgary
Tasery wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 10:21 pm
Any suggestions ?
Not sure what you're asking, but if you do a factory reset then the data is gone. If you just delete messages and such, then there may be ways to recover it. New devices encrypt data by default, so a factory reset wipes out the encryption key as well (making data unrecoverable).
[OP]
Apr 16, 2018
14 posts
Devhux wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 10:06 am
Not sure what you're asking, but if you do a factory reset then the data is gone. If you just delete messages and such, then there may be ways to recover it. New devices encrypt data by default, so a factory reset wipes out the encryption key as well (making data unrecoverable).
I get it , what the purpose of my ask is to know if there is a way to quickly delete messages without any recovery .
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1449 posts
612 upvotes
Calgary
Outside of factory resetting the device (which you should always do when getting rid of a device), no. If you delete messages manually they can probably be recovered.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2018
14 posts
Devhux wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 10:13 am
Outside of factory resetting the device (which you should always do when getting rid of a device), no. If you delete messages manually they can probably be recovered.
What you mean that i should have deleted them with factory reset ? but are you sure it's enough ?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3666 posts
2305 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
You could overwrite the data to ensure it's gone. Problem here is that when you delete something off your phone, it doesn't actually get deleted, It stays in the storage until it gets overwritten. What you can do is fill up your phone to the max and delete it, there's probably apps that does this. But really it's such a hassle, I'm sure no one is going to take your phone, download your data and blackmail you like in the movies.

If you're not using the phone anymore or want to start fresh. Factory reset the phone, fill it with junk to the max, then factory reset again. Chances of recovering your data after this is slim to none.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2511 posts
748 upvotes
Woodbridge
Tasery wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2018 5:25 am
What you mean that i should have deleted them with factory reset ? but are you sure it's enough ?
Yes. A factory reset will permanently erase all of your text messages and they will be unrecoverable.