Shopping Discussion

Is there a reason for the recent dip in cell phone plan costs?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 4:10 am
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
367 posts
139 upvotes
SURREY

Is there a reason for the recent dip in cell phone plan costs?

It seems like over the last 1-2 years prices for cell phone plans have dropped. Yes we are still getting hosed compared to the other parts of the world but I finally feel like we are starting to catch up. Did the CRTC do something or is it just market corrections due to competition? I couldn’t have imagined $55 for 15gb of data back in 2008
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
12 replies
Apr 1, 2004
303 posts
106 upvotes
i think in comparison to the amount of data vs price, then yes.

2-3 years ago, 10 gig plans werent even needed for most people
we simply didn’t need that much data, a bit of facebook, twitter doesn’t take that much

nowadays... instagram, snapchat, streaming music, video, etc etc
people blow through that 10gig easy (I still dont get how... but they do)

perhaps data is cheap for phone companies to provide?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29061 posts
4189 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jocyyu wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 2:35 am
people blow through that 10gig easy (I still dont get how... but they do)

perhaps data is cheap for phone companies to provide?
You’re missing the point. In the beginning, Data was a luxury. Carriers charged a premium.

Today, it’s a necessity. But not for you. For the carriers. The consumer is the product. Data is the delivery. They’re giving more because they want to track your life. They know more about you than your wife or girlfriend. They know how many coffees you drink a day.

I think in 5 years time, all cars will have data as standard equipment. Why? They want to know where you are 24/7. Places you visit, your habits etc.
Dec 18, 2017
155 posts
62 upvotes
Maybe plans where you own the phone are cheaper. But the ones that subsidize a phone sure are higher.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
367 posts
139 upvotes
SURREY
Even with a subsidized phone I am still under $70. I remember being happy with a $100 phone bill with Rogers when the iPhone 3GS came out
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Dec 18, 2017
155 posts
62 upvotes
That's about reverse for me. I paid about 70 a month when I got my first iPhone, the 4s, with a gig of data. And that was on a 3 year term, and something like $149 up front for the phone. Now the terms are 2 years and the phones cost a lot more, so there is a year less to spread out the cost of a much higher priced phone. A subsidized iPhone these days adds at least $40 a month and higher to a phone plan.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29061 posts
4189 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
djeffery wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 6:46 pm
That's about reverse for me. I paid about 70 a month when I got my first iPhone, the 4s, with a gig of data. And that was on a 3 year term, and something like $149 up front for the phone. Now the terms are 2 years and the phones cost a lot more, so there is a year less to spread out the cost of a much higher priced phone. A subsidized iPhone these days adds at least $40 a month and higher to a phone plan.
With 3 year terms and higher price plans you were getting subsidized phones. Carriers used part of the service fees to subsidize the phones.

With the switch to 2 year contracts, there are no subsidies for phones. All they are doing is spreading the cost over 2 years and locking you in. If you want 0% financing, you are stuck with a 2 year term. There are no discounts.
Nov 10, 2018
4 posts
I've seen recently that globally cell phone sales are falling, so it would make sense that the price of plans is going down too.
Dec 18, 2017
155 posts
62 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 9:16 am
With 3 year terms and higher price plans you were getting subsidized phones. Carriers used part of the service fees to subsidize the phones.

With the switch to 2 year contracts, there are no subsidies for phones. All they are doing is spreading the cost over 2 years and locking you in. If you want 0% financing, you are stuck with a 2 year term. There are no discounts.
A phone plan today where you own the phone is higher than a plan several years ago where you own the phone. A $0 down phone plan today costs A LOT more than a $0 down phone plan did several years ago. Most BYOP plans today cost more than a $0 2 or 3 year term did several years ago.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1396 posts
1043 upvotes
Toronto
It's all just an illusion, appearances can be decieving. They still get you one way or another.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)