Art and Photography

Is there a risk of counterfeit cameras on ebay?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2012 3:55 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 12, 2009
39 posts
Toronto

Is there a risk of counterfeit cameras on ebay?

I'm looking at buying a "Mirrorless" camera, or a "compact system camera" and I've been looking on ebay, but I've been wondering if there's a risk of buying a fake?
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
Why not buy local?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
60 upvotes
Brampton
which model are you looking at? sometimes buying local is even cheaper than buying in Ebay?

as Canadian price isn't that bad, i was told the target buyer is European buyer, as they pay way more than we do.

if you really have to, look for the best review, do'nt mind paying a few bucks more for good reviewed seller.
FS: Continental-Barum Bravuris 2 - 1x 255/35/18
I don't worship lenses, nor do I see the 3 primes as a "trinity"
there is only one Holy Trinity and they certainly aren't lenses
Jul 12, 2009
39 posts
Toronto
mk5gti wrote: which model are you looking at? sometimes buying local is even cheaper than buying in Ebay?

as Canadian price isn't that bad, i was told the target buyer is European buyer, as they pay way more than we do.

if you really have to, look for the best review, do'nt mind paying a few bucks more for good reviewed seller.
I'm really interested in the Sony Alpha NEX-C3. Seems like the cheapest price here in Toronto or ordering from the US is $549, but after tax and/or shipping, it's a little over $600.

There's a bunch of sellers in Hong Kong selling brand new with a lens for $517 (free shipping). I'm just wondering if I can even trust a seller from Hong Kong as there's a lot of counterfeit in Asia. I don't want to sound racist, because I'm Korean and I saw a bunch from Korea that I wouldn't buy either because I know Korea has a lot of counterfeit.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5392 posts
107 upvotes
tokenasianguy wrote: I'm really interested in the Sony Alpha NEX-C3. Seems like the cheapest price here in Toronto or ordering from the US is $549, but after tax and/or shipping, it's a little over $600.

There's a bunch of sellers in Hong Kong selling brand new with a lens for $517 (free shipping). I'm just wondering if I can even trust a seller from Hong Kong as there's a lot of counterfeit in Asia. I don't want to sound racist, because I'm Korean and I saw a bunch from Korea that I wouldn't buy either because I know Korea has a lot of counterfeit.

$517 vs $549 isn't a lot, so I wouldn't worry about it being "fake". It's not easy to counterfeit cameras. The price difference is just tax/duty. You do, however, have to look into Sony's warranty. They may not cover cameras bought from another region.
Aug 3, 2011
935 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
What I know and read is that camera's and lenses they all roll out from the same production line. Its just logistics + applicable taxes(there'll be more to it) that makes one seller cheaper than other.
Imported items from sellers where taxes are low and overall pricing is too competitive, end up in the market as grey market products.
Also not to forget that some seller could be selling refubs. as new......like who knows.
For a big ticket item......buy local or a reliable US/Canadian seller.

This is just my research and I could be totally wrong.
Jul 12, 2009
39 posts
Toronto
So to paraphrase are you guys basically saying that it's safe to buy a camera on eBay no matter where it comes from?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
No matter who you buy it from, there's always a chance that you might get a fake copy of something, even if you buy it in stores here in Canada. General consensus is that it's safer to buy it in person here because you can inspect the good before making the purchase. It's also much less likely to get a fake good if you buy it from a major retailler. This applies to anything you buy.

Saying all that, ebay is noctorious for fake goods and I usually choose and select the kind of stuff I buy there to avoid running into this problem. If the price difference between buying the camera here vs from ebay is not that big, you're better off buying it here at a slightly higher cost for the assurance that you're getting something real + warranty.
Feb 25, 2010
686 posts
24 upvotes
+1 for all of the above. Many of the camera stores on Young are selling gray market products they get overseas. So Ebay or camera stores, you have the same risk. A reputable store, may charge more but you get peace of mind.

Having said that, in a competitive world, many will price match anyway so it doesn't hurt to ask.
Jul 3, 2007
153 posts
40 upvotes
tokenasianguy wrote: I'm looking at buying a "Mirrorless" camera, or a "compact system camera" and I've been looking on ebay, but I've been wondering if there's a risk of buying a fake?
Maybe show us the link. I would say it's safe, I've purchased the 16mm f2.8 E-mount (I have the NEX-5N) from a Hong Kong seller.
Nov 7, 2006
185 posts
16 upvotes
Grand-Mere
sjparker wrote: +1 for all of the above. Many of the camera stores on Young are selling gray market products they get overseas. So Ebay or camera stores, you have the same risk. A reputable store, may charge more but you get peace of mind.

Having said that, in a competitive world, many will price match anyway so it doesn't hurt to ask.

B&H and Adorama clearly indicate grey market good. Not sure about Canadian retailers. Photoprice is the way to go. Unless you're saving a whole lot, I'd say buy Canada / US first. Most companies lower the warranty period on imported goods.
Banned
Sep 11, 2011
36 posts
1 upvote
There are a lot of fakes floating on ebay. My uncle got a camera from ebay and it turned out to be a fake. Be cautious before you put your hand in the pocket. It can leave you high and dry.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5392 posts
107 upvotes
avaross09 wrote: There are a lot of fakes floating on ebay. My uncle got a camera from ebay and it turned out to be a fake. Be cautious before you put your hand in the pocket. It can leave you high and dry.

What kind of "fakes" are you referring to? Like "Caanon T7i" or "Niikon D123" type of fakes? Or fake advertisement in condition (e.g. beat-up camera sold "like new")?
Dec 11, 2008
96 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
In my opinion hardly...if you know what you are looking for, it shouldn't be an issue. And of course, check the seller's feedback--------that's the best place to see if this seller is even capable of selling counterfeit anything. If it seems sketchy, it probably is.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2012
1037 posts
372 upvotes
VANCOUVER
First time I ever heard of fake cameras. I always thought it's too much work/trouble to make a counterfeit camera but if there is one, would love to see it...please post pics.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
No, besides lens, there hasn't been much reporting of "fake" or replica cameras around. There are cloning of similar designs like some Canon P&S but the specs are all different and they come with their own branding.

The kinda of fake on ebay may be shown a T3i but sent an older T2i, etc...

If it is from a seller with good feedback, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Watches or fashion on the other hand, I would only buy assuming it is a fake.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
About a month or so ago, some RFDer bought a D5100 Nikon and got a D5000 instead and had to dispute the fact that they are 2 different cameras!

Personally, for $30 difference, I would get it locally and use photoprice.ca to compare prices and price match.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)