Art and Photography

Is there a risk of counterfeit cameras on ebay?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2012 3:55 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 11, 2008
96 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
In my opinion hardly...if you know what you are looking for, it shouldn't be an issue. And of course, check the seller's feedback--------that's the best place to see if this seller is even capable of selling counterfeit anything. If it seems sketchy, it probably is.
Jul 8, 2012
769 posts
144 upvotes
VANCOUVER
First time I ever heard of fake cameras. I always thought it's too much work/trouble to make a counterfeit camera but if there is one, would love to see it...please post pics.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7432 posts
1360 upvotes
No, besides lens, there hasn't been much reporting of "fake" or replica cameras around. There are cloning of similar designs like some Canon P&S but the specs are all different and they come with their own branding.

The kinda of fake on ebay may be shown a T3i but sent an older T2i, etc...

If it is from a seller with good feedback, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Watches or fashion on the other hand, I would only buy assuming it is a fake.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12767 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto
About a month or so ago, some RFDer bought a D5100 Nikon and got a D5000 instead and had to dispute the fact that they are 2 different cameras!

Personally, for $30 difference, I would get it locally and use photoprice.ca to compare prices and price match.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7432 posts
1360 upvotes
^Good call, Photoprice is showing prices close to what OP saw online.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Feb 10, 2005
769 posts
112 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I think the British had sold some fake submarines to the Canadian Navy. :D
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2011
1127 posts
52 upvotes
Little Johny wrote:
Aug 14th, 2012 4:08 pm
Low blow, bro. =P
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
543 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Little Johny wrote:
Aug 14th, 2012 4:08 pm
Some very bad used boats to some very gullible or dishonest buyers who didn't care about maintenance costs, because we pay the inevitable bill.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Oct 20, 2009
171 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
tokenasianguy wrote:
Mar 1st, 2012 5:15 am
So to paraphrase are you guys basically saying that it's safe to buy a camera on eBay no matter where it comes from?
OP, the price difference is really not that much. For peace of mind, it's better to buy a camera in person. My cousin purchased a Canon camera over eBay and they sent her a tripod instead. She reported it to eBay and there was nothing they could do. I'd be super careful.