Food & Drink

Is there a Substitution for Cream of Tartar?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2013 7:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
36442 posts
20729 upvotes
Economy

I want to bake biscuits but don't have any Cream of Tartar.
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
36442 posts
20729 upvotes
Economy
I don't eat lobster.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
818 upvotes
In a pinch you can substitute lemon juice or vinegar, depending on quantity you might want to adjust your liquid amount. The flavour of your biscuits may be slightly different with the substitution.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2006
1384 posts
238 upvotes
For beating egg whites - use an equal amount of white vinegar or lemon juice, or omit the cream of tartar entirely

As a leavening agent - replace the baking soda and the cream of tartar in the recipe with baking powder. One teaspoon of baking powder replaces 1/3 tsp of baking soda and 2/3 tsp cream of tartar

For frosting - leave the cream of tartar out. No substitution is necessary
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/makeyo ... titute.htm
Sep 11, 2011
194 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
You can also substitute it with baking powder. 1 t. of baking powder is basically made up of 2/3 t. cream of tartar mixed with roughly 1/3 t. baking soda anyway. They are both leavening agents and should accomplish the same results.

Eta: Oops, above poster already posted similar info while I was typing, lol!
May 28, 2012
9034 posts
1583 upvotes
Saskatoon
I've never used cream of tartar when making biscuits. My recipe uses buttermilk, so bonterra is probably on the right track with the tip to use a bit of vinegar or lemon juice. FYI, you can buy small amounts of cream of tartar at Bulk Barn.

Here's my buttermilk biscuit recipe, the trick is to mix the dough just until the dry ingredients are incorporated with the liquid; you will get tough biscuits otherwise.

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup unbleached)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

1/3 cup cold butter

3/4 cup - 1 cup buttermilk

Stir the dry ingredients together and cut in the butter until it resembles peas. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Stir together with a fork and scrape out onto a floured counter. Knead 3-4 times until the dough comes together. Pat it into a circle and roll out with rolling pin. Cut into rounds and place on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in preheated 450 oven for 12-13 minutes.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
36442 posts
20729 upvotes
Economy
Thanks everyone. The biscuits are in the oven!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
818 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2013 10:52 pm
I've never used cream of tartar when making biscuits. My recipe uses buttermilk, so bonterra is probably on the right track with the tip to use a bit of vinegar or lemon juice. FYI, you can buy small amounts of cream of tartar at Bulk Barn.
The cream of tartar just acts as an acidic catalyst (in powdered form) to the leavening agent, as does buttermilk.
× < >