is there such an app exists?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2018 12:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 6, 2017
40 posts

is there such an app exists?

Is there an app that can help other people buy things when people travel abroad?

E.g. Jane and Tom live in Toronto, Jane is going on vacation to Japan, Tom can't go, He request Jane on an app to buy a smartphone for him, and charge him a fee.
17 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10993 posts
3382 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think what he's asking for is sort of like Uber for shopping abroad? I assume Jane and Tom doesn't know each other...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3278 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
"Hello, stranger. I understand you are visiting South America. While you are there I would like you to pick up a package from my cousin and deliver it to me when you get back. For this I will pay you handsomely. Oh, and when you are at the airport stay away from any dogs. They are...allergic to it".

What could possibly go wrong?
[OP]
May 6, 2017
40 posts
i found an app called, dropbuy and fetch a wish, but they are based in taiwan. There should be something like that based in North America .
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1630 posts
498 upvotes
Avoid at all costs. As per @ConsoleWatcher 's funny story, this could get one in huge trouble with CSIS, CBSA. RCMP and your local municipal police. Again, stay away, as far as you can.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4137 posts
582 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 2:07 pm
"Hello, stranger. I understand you are visiting South America. While you are there I would like you to pick up a package from my cousin and deliver it to me when you get back. For this I will pay you handsomely. Oh, and when you are at the airport stay away from any dogs. They are...allergic to it".

LOL ... yep it could end up like this ...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7201 posts
342 upvotes
lubmar wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 2:34 pm
LOL ... yep it could end up like this ...
It’s possible but what I’m thinking the OP is asking is for the traveler to actually go to the store and buy to bring back. Like if only the US has a certain pair of limited edition bball shoes sold at Macy’s, then the traveler can go to Macy’s to buy it and bring it back while collecting a small fee for their troubles. Not sure how viable and profitable this will be but I believe that is what was asked?

Picking up packages from strangers to bring back to strangers is a big nono.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
2906 posts
605 upvotes
Miami
ghibli0490 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 2:11 pm
i found an app called, dropbuy and fetch a wish, but they are based in taiwan. There should be something like that based in North America .
If you believe there's a market for it then tap in. Find an app developer and get to work.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4156 posts
1240 upvotes
INB4 "How i became a drug mule and learned to love other men while in jail for protection at first and then true love" book memoir.
Jul 15, 2003
372 posts
128 upvotes
So.. Is the intent that the traveler will use all of their exemption on this item, for example a smartphone? Will the traveler be compensated for any duty and taxes applicable to the item?.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2372 posts
572 upvotes
SecretSauce wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 6:35 pm
So.. Is the intent that the traveler will use all of their exemption on this item, for example a smartphone? Will the traveler be compensated for any duty and taxes applicable to the item?.
of course there would be compensation.
but, usually I imagine it would be for something that cannot be bought in canada, or vice versa.

For example, maybe for some reason, someone wants to buy a 240v hairdryer, but you literally cannot buy it in Canada, so you need to get someone to buy for you.
Or some local brands that would not exist in canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2372 posts
572 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 2:07 pm

well, you would never accept a package from a stranger.
I imagine, let's say you lived in Saudi arabia for a short-term work position - and you REALLY REALLY craved costco-brand kirkland cashew nuts - and lets say no costco exists at all in Saudi arabia.
That would be the perfect scenario for this app.

Or perhaps it would work better with a higher value item, like some special electronics from japan or something.