• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2017 3:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50592 posts
15357 upvotes

Is there such a thing as a BAD but NOT BLACKLISTED Sprint phone

Just learned that ESN is for CDMA but the carrier blocks the IMEI as well so it can't be use on GSM.

I was perusing ebay and noticed a few higher end phones which the description that the IMEI is bad but not blacklisted. Does that mean it will work here in Canada? :)
4 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50592 posts
15357 upvotes
Oh, so most of these phones are locked to Sprint.

One of them even says, so maybe a good unlocking service is all it takes though I'm sure it can't be use on Sprint.

IMEI is not blacklisted so can be unlocked for use with other carriers
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50592 posts
15357 upvotes
Just found out from one of the sellers that these phones with unpaid balances are blacklisted but don't go on to the national blacklist so it will be blocked from using with Sprint but once unlocked, you can use it on any GSM carrier.

One of the helpful posters here on confirmed that. :)
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/com ... d_balance/

I checked the IMEI against the Canadian blacklist and it's clean. I checked on Ting BYOD link and it does say there is some unpaid balance. I'll probably just have it unlocked since RingPlus in the US is no more and I don't really care about using it on Sprint.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9824 posts
1223 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 10:52 am
Just found out from one of the sellers that these phones with unpaid balances are blacklisted but don't go on to the national blacklist so it will be blocked from using with Sprint but once unlocked, you can use it on any GSM carrier.

One of the helpful posters here on confirmed that. :)
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/com ... d_balance/

I checked the IMEI against the Canadian blacklist and it's clean. I checked on Ting BYOD link and it does say there is some unpaid balance. I'll probably just have it unlocked since RingPlus in the US is no more and I don't really care about using it on Sprint.
Make sure there are any unlockers that can do unpaid balance Sprint phones.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)