Home & Garden

Are there usually more tiling under the washroom cabinet?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2016 12:02 pm
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA

Are there usually more tiling under the washroom cabinet?

I live in a 15 year old mid-rise condo and the stock washroom sinks are starting to deteriorate. I may want to put new vanity cabinets, sink and counter, but from some initial research, most of the newer cabinets have legs or are bolted to the wall for a floating effect. I don't mind this but am not sure if the washroom tiling continues under the cabinetry, or if its bare. I am not trying to budget re-tiling the floors.

I tried to lift some panels but unless I physically damage the cabinetry, I don't seem to be able to see if the tiles continue. Anyone have any hints to tell?

Thanks
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1629 posts
536 upvotes
Mississauga
Looks like on top of the tile, but who knows it could be just enough for the cab to sit on. I would say missing tiles under there.
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"
Oct 7, 2007
633 posts
207 upvotes
Markham
It's usually tiled underneath unless they had to run the water pipes through the floor instead of the wall. You can pop off the panel/skirt at the bottom and look underneath.
Dec 22, 2016
387 posts
354 upvotes
SW Ontario
If the vanity has bottom drawers, try taking one out to see if the bottom is exposed! Worst case drill a small hole and use a flash light.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
If the drain or supply pipes go through the bottom of the cabinet, you should be able to look in the gaps with a flashlight and see through to the floor.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
$5 says they continue, the amount of edge detail required to make it look that perfect would not be worth it.
There could be a tile or two missing in the middle though for copper/drain pipes.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
The pipes go to the wall, so unable to see the floor from there. Once the holidays settle down and the parties are done, I'll pry the skirt off.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1056 posts
170 upvotes
In washroom for condos they usually tile the whole washroom and just sit the vanity on top. Whereas for the kitchen, they usually set the cabinets on the concrete and set tile/hardwood around.
Dec 16, 2006
657 posts
223 upvotes
Central Ontario
I just replaced 2 of the vanities in my 25 yr old house. I drilled a 2" hole through the bottom of the first one I replaced to check - and it was tiled to the back wall.
Second one was the same (although the tradesmen didn't bother to grout the tiles under the back corner of that vanity).
Yours should be the same.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
drb789 wrote: Second one was the same (although the tradesmen didn't bother to grout the tiles under the back corner of that vanity).
unbelievable! Why on earth would someone do this. This is exactly why I try to avoid using "pros" wherever possible. By the time you finish coming up with clauses to protect yourself against every possible shortcut they might take you may as well do the job yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
dirtmover wrote: unbelievable! Why on earth would someone do this.
Cabinet went in before tiler came back to grout.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
Zamboni wrote: Cabinet went in before tiler came back to grout.
Lets hope the painter didn't come before the taper.
Dec 16, 2006
657 posts
223 upvotes
Central Ontario
Zamboni wrote: Cabinet went in before tiler came back to grout.
It was grouted ... maybe 2 or 3 inches under the front and side of the cabinet.
It was nothing but laziness on the part of the tiler.
He knew where the vanity was going to go and just didn't bother doing a complete job.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
drb789 wrote: It was grouted ... maybe 2 or 3 inches under the front and side of the cabinet.
It was nothing but laziness on the part of the tiler.
He knew where the vanity was going to go and just didn't bother doing a complete job.
Wow....save 50 cents of grout and a few minutes labour.
Bet cabinet was sitting on tile when guy returned to grout and it wasn't supposed to be in yet....so he jockeys up one side, grouts....lifts the front a bit, grouts...goes home. Easier than disconnecting the drain and supply lines, especially if it was the tiler was supposed to be back two days earlier.
Saw a guy walk on tiles just laid while carrying a toilet because the tile guys were running 2 days behind.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)