Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Is there a way to block people on RFD?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2021 2:38 pm
Tags:
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes

Is there a way to block people on RFD?

On Facebook I can block people so that I never see them and they do not see me.

Is that possible on RFD?
I see a "hide" feature but that still allows people to see what I write and comment
and I still get a message that someone I have hidden is commenting on my comments.

Yes, like in all parts of society, this place is filled with inconsiderate people
who seem to thrive on being a-holes while hidden away.
- - - > Life is a waste of time.
9 replies
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
Yes, I have seen that but my desire is that I do not want the RFD "bullies" to see my posts
- some that have been here for 15 years and act like they are entitled to act in any way they want.

It is sad to see people that are clearly adults, acting like children in grade 5.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14882 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
You might be able to get better response from RFD people in the following forum.

site-comments-suggestions-f13/
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14882 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
I'm not sure whether the user is trying to pull our legs.
NikolaZrinski wrote: On Facebook I can block people so that I never see them and they do not see me.

Is that possible on RFD?
I see a "hide" feature but that still allows people to see what I write and comment
and I still get a message that someone I have hidden is commenting on my comments.

Yes, like in all parts of society, this place is filled with inconsiderate people
who seem to thrive on being a-holes while hidden away.
Does anyone else see the irony? :)
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: I'm not sure whether the user is trying to pull our legs.
Does anyone else see the irony? :)
Why would I be pulling your leg?
This is a legitimate request.

In my "real life", I filter out the "grade 5" types.
Why not be able to do it here as well?
Some people (the childish bullies) take away the fun of being here.

If I choose to filter you out, for example, what is the problem?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Used to be able to put people on ignore list.
You did not see their posts but I suppose if they don't have you on ignore they see your posts.
Even if they respond to your posts, because they are on ignore, you do not see it.:)
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
You may choose to ignore other users but that does not mean that they have to ignore you. You can click on a username and select "Ignore this user" to do so. Again, that does not mean the user in question has to stop responding to your posts. We generally only get involved in "Ignore disputes" where harassment is involved.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
NikolaZrinski wrote:

In my "real life", I filter out the "grade 5" types.
Why not be able to do it here as well?
Some people (the childish bullies) take away the fun of being here.

If I choose to filter you out, for example, what is the problem?
That's exactly why ignore works one way instead of both ways.

In your real life, you can filter out grade 5 type person, in RFD, you can put them in ignore list and won't see their posts

But in real life, can you stop people gossip you behind you? No, you cannot, same in RFD, they still can see your posts and respond

Ignore others is your personal choice, silence others because you don't like them is grade 5 request in my opinion
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
WOW! I am shocked at how vehemently people oppose privacy upgrades.
George Bernard Shaw said 'Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.'
That is wisdom, but I still get tempted to get into debates with pigs.

It is saddening to see some "old-timers" here acting like entitled privileged pigs.
smartie wrote: Ignore others is your personal choice, silence others because you don't like them is grade 5 request in my opinion

I never said I want to silence anyone - I just do not want to see them, or that they see me.
Why should the "grade 5" type bullies and lowlifes/trolls waste even a few seconds of my life?
Redmask wrote: You may choose to ignore other users but that does not mean that they have to ignore you. You can click on a username and select "Ignore this user" to do so.

If I choose to block (not just ignore) someone, as I can on Facebook, would that not make the job of the mods easier because there will be fewer issues of harassment? Such a feature can only be a benefit to the quality of the forum as the trolls/pig get blocked by other users.

The mods clearly get to delete what annoys them.
Why can't we users be empowered to improve our experience here on RFD?
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
You took this to a really unpleasant place unnecessarily and seem more interested in ranting than anything productive. Anyways asked and answered so I'm locking this. In the future if you have a genuine feature suggestion or improvement, write a post without all of the invective.