Automotive

is there a way to buy cars from manufacturers rather than dealers?

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2010 2:29 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Jun 22, 2009
704 posts
7 upvotes
Gotham City

is there a way to buy cars from manufacturers rather than dealers?

I don't want to buy from dealers. Is there a way to buy straight from the manufacturer to save a ton of money? Is it possible to get a new BMW from the manufacturer and save $10-$15K and cut out the dealer?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
funboi22 wrote: I don't want to buy from dealers. Is there a way to buy straight from the manufacturer to save a ton of money? Is it possible to get a new BMW from the manufacturer and save $10-$15K and cut out the dealer?
Yes. It's called a dealer license.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
antichrysler wrote: Yes. It's called a dealer license.
Its not that simple. Theres a plethora of things that need to be in place before you can even buy any new vehicle at wholesale. Namely a franchise agreement, business plan, criminal checks, floor planning etc etc
OMVIC doesnt just hand out Dealer Licenses like candy
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
funboi22 wrote: I don't want to buy from dealers. Is there a way to buy straight from the manufacturer to save a ton of money? Is it possible to get a new BMW from the manufacturer and save $10-$15K and cut out the dealer?
actual mfr employee get some deals, but you still have to pick it up from a dealer.

too bad you're not an employee of Honda America, as one lucky employee was picked from a lottery to get a mint ITR, which was used to demo oil changes. That car was really pampered.

http://www.insideline.com/features/1998 ... ic-si.html

edit: dealer license is only the beginning, you need contract agreements with the mfr. just like those contracts that GM terminated when old GM went under.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
Let's use some simple logic.

If everyone could save $10-15k by not buying from a dealer, nobody would buy from dealers.

Duh.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2008
1061 posts
3 upvotes
Ask your local BMW dealer how much he had to invest to get a BMW franchise to buy directly from the manufacturer, and have a 9% spread from his cost to MSRP.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2009
5157 posts
1250 upvotes
Caledon
LOL! Best reply so far!
AGR-1 wrote: Ask your local BMW dealer how much he had to invest to get a BMW franchise to buy directly from the manufacturer, and have a 9% spread from his cost to MSRP.
[removed external advertising links]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
Another epic fail brought to you by funboi!
Dec 24, 2009
188 posts
1 upvote
I've seen some program on TV where you can buy a VW factory direct and even watch the whole process where your car is being made on the assembly line.

I'm sure its the same price as anything else.

I think it was VW ?.. or something German.
Dec 24, 2009
188 posts
1 upvote
that is so freakin cool !
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4308 posts
597 upvotes
wrote:Ask your local BMW dealer how much he had to invest to get a BMW franchise to buy directly from the manufacturer, and have a 9% spread from his cost to MSRP.
4% spread on X3, 8% on 1 series and 323s
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8559 posts
5351 upvotes
You know what would happen if we all bought straight from the manufacturer rather than the dealer? The manufacturer would just pocket the profit, & have a no haggle policy, the price you see is the price you pay. I know some consumers claim they want a no-haggle policy (eg everyone pays the same, your negotiating skills don't matter) but the truth is, when a brand like Saturn does that, there are still tons of consumers who say "screw you, I'm going to buy from someone who gives me a discount".

Dell advertises how buying direct from them cuts out the middle man & the consumer saves, yet look at Dell's prices. All they've done is cut out the middle man & increase their own profits.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)