• Dec 8th, 2017 5:27 pm
Tags:
None
31 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4671 upvotes
I've always wondered why Thermapens are so expensive. Thermocouples aren't that expensive. I can't imagine the rest of it being that expensive either.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28416 posts
4393 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 20th, 2015 3:33 pm
I've always wondered why Thermapens are so expensive. Thermocouples aren't that expensive. I can't imagine the rest of it being that expensive either.
Marketing and if you price it high, foolish people think there is some sort of extra quality.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10165 posts
589 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 20th, 2015 3:38 pm
Marketing and if you price it high, foolish people think there is some sort of extra quality.
If you can find me other proven thermometers that works as well and is as durable for cheaper, please point me towards it! I have two thermapens because I use them so often, all the other cheapo ones I've found are garbage.

Never heard of this thermowand before, seems relatively new, I might give it a shot just to try since the reviews look good.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28416 posts
4393 upvotes
Ottawa
slowtyper wrote:
Feb 20th, 2015 5:52 pm
If you can find me other proven thermometers that works as well and is as durable for cheaper, please point me towards it! I have two thermapens because I use them so often, all the other cheapo ones I've found are garbage.

Never heard of this thermowand before, seems relatively new, I might give it a shot just to try since the reviews look good.
Hey, don't get so defensive... I didn't mean to hurt your culinary feelings.
I responded to death_hawk with my opinion. If you want to spend 30 bucks on a thermometer, go for it LOL.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
1790 posts
469 upvotes
Edmonton
Sounds interesting to me, although after shipping ($13!) it's just under $40US to order from Amazon. $38US from the manufacturer itself after shipping too.

At that price it's quickly approaching refurb Thermopen pricing.

I'll wait until it's a little less somewhere here in Canada.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10165 posts
589 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 20th, 2015 6:08 pm
Hey, don't get so defensive... I didn't mean to hurt your culinary feelings.
I responded to death_hawk with my opinion. If you want to spend 30 bucks on a thermometer, go for it LOL.
Not defensive at all, I just like tools. I cook in a kitchen for 12 hours a day and always have my pen in pocket, so if there are other brands you know of that are just as good, I'd love to try them.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2005
878 posts
129 upvotes

According to this video it looks like the Thermowand isn't as fast as either the Thermapen or Thermopop though it was already expected it's not as fast as the Thermapen.

But then again this video is also made by Thermoworks (maker of the Thermapen/Thermopop) so I don't know...most of the reviews and comments of the Thermowand don't seem to say it's as slow as in the video (~8s) and the specs say it should be around 4s
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4671 upvotes
Damn that Thermopop is quick. I thought it'd be an 8 seconder too.
Feb 20, 2015
2 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi guys,

We've received a large number of hits linking to this forum and we're glad we did because expanding to Canada is something we hope to achieve this year. As some of you can tell, we're quite a new company and we're very happy to receive so much attention online about our Thermowand.

We like to be 100% transparent with our customers. In most typical cooking temperatures (steak, chicken, pork) the Thermowand can give a readout around 4 seconds, sometimes less if its a rare steak. It may take around 5 seconds or so for higher temperatures such as boiling water. We're not quite sure why our Thermowand performed the way it did on the video but it's certainly not how it performs normally.

We don't ever believe there's an excuse for overcooked food, and the Thermowand is a nifty little package that allows homecooks to achieve perfection every time. It's compact, lightweight, and simple to use. The Thermapen is a professional Thermometer and it's priced like one too.

Expanding into Canada something we want to do. What are some of the online stores Canadians tend to use for products like ours?
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10165 posts
589 upvotes
Thanks for coming on here.
Lavatools wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 4:32 pm
The Thermapen is a professional Thermometer and it's priced like one too.
This is probably more than you want to explain in public to everyone, but I'm curious about what these differences are that make it work better? So, if you wanted to create a product that competed with the thermapen in performance, what would you need to do differently and where is the extra cost coming from? Is it simply more expensive parts?

Also with your thermawand, does it need to be recalibrated after a certain period and how would you recommend doing so?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
538 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Lavatools wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 4:32 pm
Hi guys,

We've received a large number of hits linking to this forum and we're glad we did because expanding to Canada is something we hope to achieve this year. As some of you can tell, we're quite a new company and we're very happy to receive so much attention online about our Thermowand.

We like to be 100% transparent with our customers. In most typical cooking temperatures (steak, chicken, pork) the Thermowand can give a readout around 4 seconds, sometimes less if its a rare steak. It may take around 5 seconds or so for higher temperatures such as boiling water. We're not quite sure why our Thermowand performed the way it did on the video but it's certainly not how it performs normally.

We don't ever believe there's an excuse for overcooked food, and the Thermowand is a nifty little package that allows homecooks to achieve perfection every time. It's compact, lightweight, and simple to use. The Thermapen is a professional Thermometer and it's priced like one too.

Expanding into Canada something we want to do. What are some of the online stores Canadians tend to use for products like ours?
Two sites that I use are www.greenbeanery.ca and www.williamsfoodequipment.ca .
There is a pricey site www.goldaskitchen.com that carries almost everything, but I don't use them.
www.leevalley.com is a good place for unusual kitchen gadgets.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Feb 20, 2015
2 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
slowtyper wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 10:32 pm
Thanks for coming on here.

This is probably more than you want to explain in public to everyone, but I'm curious about what these differences are that make it work better? So, if you wanted to create a product that competed with the thermapen in performance, what would you need to do differently and where is the extra cost coming from? Is it simply more expensive parts?

Also with your thermawand, does it need to be recalibrated after a certain period and how would you recommend doing so?
Thanks for replying, slowtyper. We can't comment on why Thermapen is priced where it's at or what makes it so popular. But we currently have a professional Thermowand in the pipeline and it will be quite different to the Thermapen. It will be a feature-rich platform with functions like HOLD or MIN/MAX available if the user requires them, but otherwise be completely invisible for users who like to keep things straightforward and simple. We're pouring a lot of creativity and technology into this new product and we're planing for launch early next quarter. And obviously this type of R&D and extra components will contribute to the overall cost of the product. Expensive components do play a part as well.

For our Thermowand, the type of sensor we use doesn't deviate from initial factory calibration therefore recalibration isn't necessary.

Hope that helps!