Food & Drink

which of these two sharpeners is best for honing?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2015 1:04 am
Tags:
None
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I use a 10" Wusthof honing steel on my Shun japanese knives. Get a quality steel and it will last a lifetime.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
I use the shun honing steel for my shun knives. It has an angle guide on the handle to help hone the edge on the right angle.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Note - that for harder knives (ie. most Japanese ones), it's not a good idea to use the normal steel honing rod as the steel used is typically softer than the steel of the knife which results in a poor job of honing.

Get a ceramic honing rod and you won't have to worry about how hard the steel is.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Note - that for harder knives (ie. most Japanese ones), it's not a good idea to use the normal steel honing rod as the steel used is typically softer than the steel of the knife which results in a poor job of honing.

Get a ceramic honing rod and you won't have to worry about how hard the steel is.
it says its designed for kramer knifes which are 300+ dollar knives. I should be okay?
Dec 2, 2008
631 posts
68 upvotes
Belleville
I use both types. Pull thru to sharpen (tried a stone but not proficient enough to do a good job) and use the Steel rod type after to get rid of burrs.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
redblue wrote: I use both types. Pull thru to sharpen (tried a stone but not proficient enough to do a good job) and use the Steel rod type after to get rid of burrs.
ah okay, i use a wet stone to sharpen so sounds like the rod is the way to go. is the rod i linked a good choice?
Banned
Jul 24, 2014
130 posts
11 upvotes
Windsor, ON
I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker that I love; does 30 and 40 degree, was cheap, and I have been using it for about 8 years. Super simple, and works well.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3487 posts
3895 upvotes
Montreal
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i need something to hone them.
Newbie question: I've never honed a knife in my life. I haven't noticed any problems. What am I missing?

( I did recently buy a ceramic knife, which apparently never needs honing nor sharpening. I must admit that I'm impressed with it. But maybe that's only because my steel knives suck?)
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
craftsman wrote: Note - that for harder knives (ie. most Japanese ones), it's not a good idea to use the normal steel honing rod as the steel used is typically softer than the steel of the knife which results in a poor job of honing.

This is only partially true. Obviously cheap Walmart $5 steels will do your high end knives no favours, but you do not really want the steel to be significantly harder than your knives either.

Remember, the point of a honing steel is for straightening the edge, not to take off material as in the case when sharpening. The honing steel does not have to be harder than the blade to perform straightening. On the other hand, if the steel is harder than the blade, it will straighten the edge but it is also harsher on the blade edge(taking material off). Ideally, the steel should be just at or slightly below your knives in hardness. Your edge will last longer before requiring sharpening this way.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FrancisBacon wrote: Newbie question: I've never honed a knife in my life. I haven't noticed any problems. What am I missing?

( I did recently buy a ceramic knife, which apparently never needs honing nor sharpening. I must admit that I'm impressed with it. But maybe that's only because my steel knives suck?)
It's one of those things that you won't appreciate until you've used a truly sharp knife.

Check this:
https://youtu.be/GTHD2J2za6Y
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: Newbie question: I've never honed a knife in my life. I haven't noticed any problems. What am I missing?

GaryMcAllister wrote: I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker that I love; does 30 and 40 degree, was cheap, and I have been using it for about 8 years. Super simple, and works well.
er34er34 wrote: This is only partially true. Obviously cheap Walmart $5 steels will do your high end knives no favours, but you do not really want the steel to be significantly harder than your knives either.

Remember, the point of a honing steel is for straightening the edge, not to take off material as in the case when sharpening. The honing steel does not have to be harder than the blade to perform straightening. On the other hand, if the steel is harder than the blade, it will straighten the edge but it is also harsher on the blade edge(taking material off). Ideally, the steel should be just at or slightly below your knives in hardness. Your edge will last longer before requiring sharpening this way.
i use to have a 90 dollar knife set from canadian tire. after a few months it was the *****.

this year i was treated to a 129 dollar zwilling pro chefs knife. made in germany. the thing is a tank and well worth it over the crappy tire knife sets.

its starting to lose its sharpness so i picked up zwiling wet stones. from what i understand i shouldntbe using the stones all the time so i need a good steel rod or something for honing.

is the zwilling kramer a good option in my original post?
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i use to have a 90 dollar knife set from canadian tire. after a few months it was the *****.

this year i was treated to a 129 dollar zwilling pro chefs knife. made in germany. the thing is a tank and well worth it over the crappy tire knife sets.

its starting to lose its sharpness so i picked up zwiling wet stones. from what i understand i shouldntbe using the stones all the time so i need a good steel rod or something for honing.

is the zwilling kramer a good option in my original post?
That will work, but $63 is overpriced IMO.

You can get a Wusthof for $49 here:
http://www.sears.ca/product/wusthof-hon ... 53058-4473

In fact I got this same one for $35 while on sale. It is made in Germany.

Shun classic steel is also $49, but they are Made in China.

http://m.crateandbarrel.com/shun-classi ... el/s196488

For daily home use, you should not need to sharpen more than once every 4-6 months. Use the steel a few times before every use to keep it sharp.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: That will work, but $63 is overpriced IMO.

You can get a Wusthof for $49 here:
http://www.sears.ca/product/wusthof-hon ... 53058-4473

In fact I got this same one for $35 while on sale. It is made in Germany.

Shun classic steel is also $49, but they are Made in China.

http://m.crateandbarrel.com/shun-classi ... el/s196488

For daily home use, you should not need to sharpen more than once every 4-6 months. Use the steel a few times before every use to keep it sharp.
not for me, a family member constantly uses it for restaurant. so cutting lots of chicken, meats and veggies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: ah okay, i use a wet stone to sharpen so sounds like the rod is the way to go. is the rod i linked a good choice?
Sharpening and honing are two very different things. So, if you already have stones for sharpening, you should get the steel/rod for honing. The steel/rod should be almost smooth - it shouldn't take off any metal as its primary purpose is to simply straighten the edge of a knife. Once honing becomes ineffective, it's time for another sharpening session.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Sharpening and honing are two very different things. So, if you already have stones for sharpening, you should get the steel/rod for honing. The steel/rod should be almost smooth - it shouldn't take off any metal as its primary purpose is to simply straighten the edge of a knife. Once honing becomes ineffective, it's time for another sharpening session.
is this a good one?

https://www.hendrixequip.com/p-5935-kra ... el-12.aspx
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
Sure, nothing wrong with that. What they dub "sharpening steel" actually hones the blade. BTW, I use a ceramic honing rod, something like this: http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/product ... l?vmcchk=1 which is smother/finer than the steel hone. I use it with an Edgepro stone sharpening system: http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-Ed ... System-c3/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)