Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
930 upvotes
iluvmikeharris wrote:
Sep 13th, 2010 7:50 pm
Since it was towed from private property, you should have told the towing company that you dispute the tow and demand release of your property, in which case they have to comply and then they can try to pursue the fine in court if they think they have a case.

Do you guys who keep posting this have legal links to back this up?

I find it hard to believe in Toronto. a private property owner who gave proper notice via signage, can not have cars removed from *his property* at the owner's expense. It seems totally nonsensical. They own the parking lot, they make the rules who can park there. You break the rules, you pay the piper.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2105 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto West
brunes wrote:
Sep 13th, 2010 9:57 pm
Do you guys who keep posting this have legal links to back this up?

I find it hard to believe in Toronto. a private property owner who gave proper notice via signage, can not have cars removed from *his property* at the owner's expense. It seems totally nonsensical. They own the parking lot, they make the rules who can park there. You break the rules, you pay the piper.

You are absolutely correct. I think that confusion is in that there is no signage that applies to his situation. He didnt (as far as been told) break any rules. If he infact did then yes private property owners are free to have whatever they want towed. same way private business can turn away whoever they want.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2005
7028 posts
380 upvotes
If the car wasnt ticketed by the city parking enforcement officer they cannot tow unless its in a fire route.You can legally get your towing fees back if its wasnt ticketed by the hornets,but if they did call the them your screwed....before property owners got kickbacks from towing companies for finding them "customers" but now its regulated by the city.Owners of property must pay a towing company first to get a illegal car towed unless they have a contract....
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2105 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto West
ya sorry dude.. im out of this thread now.. small claims is your only option.. and any judge (which it will never make it to) will never believe you were within fair use of the parking lot. Its surrounded by houses and I assume that sign is posted because people park there all the time. Id also wager that there is no overnight parking on the surrounding overnight streets. Sorry, you're SOL. If you infact were on this tiny premises for multiple hours get it in writing from the store owner and take the towing company to court.. check your paperwork first to make sure you didnt already release them of any responsibility or you will just be wasting more money. And from a business owner standpoint, there are NOT a lot of parking spots. Even the google streetview shows all spots full. I dont blame them for having a tow company working on their behalf.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 3,,0,12.69

That TD is closed sundays to boot
2993 Westoak Trails Blvd
Oakville, ON L6M 5E4
Branch # 3125

Mon-Wed 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
Thu-Fri 8:00 AM-8:00 PM
Sat 8:00 AM-4:00 PM
Sun Closed
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12904 posts
1106 upvotes
Mendes wrote:
Sep 13th, 2010 11:00 pm
You are absolutely correct. I think that confusion is in that there is no signage that applies to his situation. He didnt (as far as been told) break any rules. If he infact did then yes private property owners are free to have whatever they want towed. same way private business can turn away whoever they want.

Incorrect. The towing company cannot hold your car hostage over a dispute between two private parties. That is the key difference. At the end of the day, it's still your car. Yes, the lot owners may pay a private company to remove the vehicle, but the towing company has no leverage to hold it once the owner has come forward. At best, they will try to bully you into paying a fine that helps fund the private business arrangement the towing company has with the parking lot owners. However, in the end, if the vehicle owner is not interested in supporting this business scheme, the towing company must release your vehicle, and either invoice you, or have the lot owners charge you with trespassing, at which point the onus is on them to file charges. They may not use another company to hold your car as leverage, pending charges. Anything else would be, pardon my language, ****ing stupid.
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
143 upvotes
SC
Quoted from the very knowledgeable and kind
Fox1971

"If your car is towed from a private property under "common law" then yes, you can demand to have the vehicle released from the impound lot without paying. Common law towing is done by private properties without a PEO issuing a ticket first. The property typically has an arrangement with a towing company to remove vehicles that are illegally parked and they prey on the ignorance of the public to demand payment. However there is a catch: if somebody did demand their car back, the towing company would later take that person to small claims court to recoup their obscenely large towing and storage fees. Years ago in Toronto towing companies were allowed to charge basically whatever they wanted for towing and storage fees so it was worth their time and trouble to engage in this scumbag behaviour. The City of Toronto cracked down on this by passing by-laws regulating how much these towing companies could charge for towing and storage. Because the fees were capped, it stopped being worth it for these vultures to engage in common law towing of vehicles. Common law towing is hardly done anymore because it isn't profitable.

If your car was tagged and towed under city parking by-laws by either a police/parking officer or a certified private agent then you cannot demand to have your vehicle released by the pound. You will be required to pay any towing and storage fees set out by the City of Toronto but it is your right to demand to see a fee schedule before paying anything."
Banned
Dec 10, 2008
1659 posts
49 upvotes
What's the point of all this as he already paid to have his car released? Who's right doesn't really matter now, does it :)
Jan 6, 2012
1 posts
BRAMPTON
I met my girlfriend at the Plaza at NE corner of Bronte Road and Westoak Trails Blvd, and her car was towed. They want $300 to get it back, I am so pissed, so is she. It's ridiculous!

Tow truck drivers (in this case Phil's Towing in Oakville) are all vultures, pigs and money grabbing bastards.

At first we thought her car was stolen, it never occured that it would be towed, when we called the switch board person was not pleasant, then I told her to get the owner to call us back NOW. He called back my friend and he was so rude and cold. He couldn't give a crap.

It makes me sick that she has to pay $300 to get her car back. Highway robbery. :mad:
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1777 upvotes
xlfe wrote:
Sep 14th, 2010 10:29 am
Quoted from the very knowledgeable and kind
Fox1971

"If your car is towed from a private property under "common law" then yes, you can demand to have the vehicle released from the impound lot without paying. Common law towing is done by private properties without a PEO issuing a ticket first. The property typically has an arrangement with a towing company to remove vehicles that are illegally parked and they prey on the ignorance of the public to demand payment. However there is a catch: if somebody did demand their car back, the towing company would later take that person to small claims court to recoup their obscenely large towing and storage fees. Years ago in Toronto towing companies were allowed to charge basically whatever they wanted for towing and storage fees so it was worth their time and trouble to engage in this scumbag behaviour. The City of Toronto cracked down on this by passing by-laws regulating how much these towing companies could charge for towing and storage. Because the fees were capped, it stopped being worth it for these vultures to engage in common law towing of vehicles. Common law towing is hardly done anymore because it isn't profitable.

If your car was tagged and towed under city parking by-laws by either a police/parking officer or a certified private agent then you cannot demand to have your vehicle released by the pound. You will be required to pay any towing and storage fees set out by the City of Toronto but it is your right to demand to see a fee schedule before paying anything."

this. if PEOs were not involved in towing, just ask them to give your car back without paying anything. if they refuse, call police
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7664 posts
761 upvotes
North York
I remember reading somewhere that organaized crime used towing trucks to transport drugs and other contraband. (I've always wondered why anyone would have such beautifully painted showy tow trucks.)

I only mention this, as this tow firm appears to be very aggressive. Perhaps go to the local police station and ask if they would advise you to take these tow operators to court and make all sorts of problems for them.

Also ...
If you frequent the said plaza, then also be careful about your car if you create a mess for these people. One might find their car keyed one day parked at that plaza.

And ...
$300 is not that unreasonable now-a-days. I think when this private ticketing/towing first started these guys were charging over $1,000. That is what the bylaws may have been addressing. I don't think there is a win in such a sitation, you need to get the car out of their hands ASAP. Each day results in additional storage charges, and lets them do something to your car. (IMO)
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2012 12:08 pm
I remember reading somewhere that organaized crime used towing trucks to transport drugs and other contraband. (I've always wondered why anyone would have such beautifully painted showy tow trucks.)
Most drugs found in tow trucks are for the personal use of the drivers and their stripper "girlfriends". A couple of times I've had tow truck operators show up for my calls with white powder clearly visible around their nostrils and it definitely was not doughnut sugar if you know what I mean. It is true that some organized crime groups, usually outlaw bikers, are associated with the towing industry but it's not as widespread as you might think. The towing business attracts a lot of scumbags, ex-cons and petty criminals but most are not affiliated with organized crime.
Busybuyer888 wrote:
I only mention this, as this tow firm appears to be very aggressive. Perhaps go to the local police station and ask if they would advise you to take these tow operators to court and make all sorts of problems for them.
The police won't get involved beyond assisting somebody in getting their vehicle released. Anything else would probably be a civil matter or a by-law issue with the municipality.
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Also ...
If you frequent the said plaza, then also be careful about your car if you create a mess for these people. One might find their car keyed one day parked at that plaza.
I wouldn't worry about that. What you are suggesting could lead to legal action being taken against the property management.
Busybuyer888 wrote:
And ...
$300 is not that unreasonable now-a-days. I think when this private ticketing/towing first started these guys were charging over $1,000. That is what the bylaws may have been addressing. I don't think there is a win in such a sitation, you need to get the car out of their hands ASAP. Each day results in additional storage charges, and lets them do something to your car. (IMO)
Actually $300 is quite unreasonable for a simple towing of an illegally parked car. It is almost twice the normal rate for a vehicle that is ticketed and towed under the direction of a PEO assuming that the owner arrived at the impound lot within 24 hours of their vehicle being towed. I don't know exactly what the towing rates are for Oakville but the fees all across the province are pretty much in same ballpark.
Jan 18, 2011
375 posts
50 upvotes
Cayanne brought the thread back from the dead with his post on the 7th
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
7257 posts
956 upvotes
pfree87 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2012 11:23 pm
Cayanne brought the thread back from the dead with his post on the 7th

Feb 23, 2012
6 posts
PEFFERLAW
Its very apparent to everyone here that someone got caught with there pants down!!! Bottom line its not your property, you have no business parking there unless your shopping at the plaza, currently, not that you used to shop there last month, blame the towing company all you want, you screwed up and as an adult in society you payed the price,,, its the same reason you don't go visit a friend at an apartment building and just grab the closest spot to the entrance, just because you think that's your right to do so, its not because its not yours.

i got towed from the don mills and finch plaza before, i thought i was very smart by taking advantage of there free parking instead of paying at senica, suprize!!! They have many security cameras and a 2 city of toronto licenced parking officers watching. as soon as you leave the plaza so does your car. the management said,,, our renters pay 6000.00 plus per month for rent,, they need parking for there customers and we protect our renters best interests at all times. The towing guys werent the sugar nosed bikers that you idiots talked about,, another driver that was there towing some other car gave me a ride to there pound where my car was, saving me a 30.00 cab ride, and imagine,, he didn't even have the powder white stripper with him??? Wierd, it actually cost me about 130.00 in total, pretty good considering gas is 1.30 a liter, from the driver to the pound staff, they were all nice well educated people, my mistake and i payed, that's life in the mega ******,

Get educated people
× < >